U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 11:54 AM

3,807 posts, read 9,115,314 times

Advertisements

Chaz, you are lucky to be so close to Montreal to enjoy many events there during the year. When I lived in NJ, I visited Montreal and other areas of Quebec many times. Enjoyed the bike riding in summer, and cross country skiing in winter. I noticed how relatively few people from the nearby northeastern US states visited anywhere in Quebec, and didn't have a clue about what they were missing out on. NJ was only about a 7 hour drive to Montreal, but I knew only a few people that had visited there.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 01:08 PM

10,203 posts, read 25,981,239 times
Thanks for this endorsement for both Quebec City and Montreal--I am getting excited about the trip and the visit.

I have one acquaintance in Montreal and I think I'll email and ask him if and when he's around. He's an artist and probably someone who can share the City from many different perspectives.

I also find it fascinating that you say that Montreal is your most favourite. Incredible that we have an East Coast, Montreal and a West Coast, Vancouver, in our backyard that deserve high marks and many superlatives and as recycled mentioned few visit.

I'll report back when I have done it all--or some of it, anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz longue View Post
It's true - Quebec City is astonishingly beautiful, and a terrific place to visit. The naval battles that settled (perhaps that's not the word I want to use, actually...) the political fortunes of the continent were fought there, and the sites are absolutely gorgeous. I've spent a bit of time in Europe over the decades, but I've never been anyplace more beautiful than Quebec City. And I speak about a dozen words of French.

Still, Montreal is my favorite city in the world. Montrealers take culture and the arts very seriously, and watching the world go by from a sidewalk cafe is something of a civic religion. Montreal knocks itself out to show the word a good time in a particularly Montreal way. It's a city of festivals. The Jazz Festival, The International fireworks festival, the Montreal highlights festival, the Just for Laughs Festival, The International film festival, The Franco Follies, the Grand Prix, The Nuits De Africain, The Carrefiesta, and several dozen more. It's also a very affordable city, even with the dollar at par. This is partly due to the verdant farmland just to the South of the city. That makes food inexpensive, and as you can imagine, Montrealers take food very seriously. And while it's true that in some parts of town, a Depanieur (French for corner store, only misspelled!) can be hard to find open late, in several parts of town the festive spirit lasts well into the night. Montreal is also a fabulous city for bicycling. There are bike paths in all the most scenic and advantageous spots it seems, and they are well used.

Have a ball!

David

Old 05-29-2007, 08:16 AM

2,518 posts, read 6,778,911 times
I went to Quebec City and Montreal about 10 years..It's soo nice up there. Try to stay at the Chateau Frontac in Montreal.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

I am hoping to leave Maine tomorrow, drive half-way, stay in VT, and then see what I can see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhall1 View Post
I went to Quebec City and Montreal about 10 years..It's soo nice up there. Try to stay at the Chateau Frontac in Montreal.

Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM

126 posts, read 431,718 times
Had a fabulous time in Quebec two years ago. Our group stayed at the Frontenac in old Quebec. There were live shows (jugglers, acrobatic shows) in the square in front of the hotel until midnight. Directly across from the hotel is an artist's alley. There was wonderful artwork of every type. I found a watercolor of the square that showed it in all four seasons; I just love it and helps me remember a great vacation. There is a daytour of the local waterfall that includes some local scenic landmarks. Also, you can do daytours on the St. Lawrence which is a beautiful river. Have fun!

Old 05-30-2007, 01:17 PM

2,960 posts, read 12,819,712 times
Everyone has provided such great tips. My husband and I want to go to Quebec and Montreal as well - thank you!!

Old 06-01-2007, 11:22 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,678,984 times
I was going to recommend Quebec City, but I see that quite a few others have already suggested it, as well as the Laurentian Mountains.

Montreal is a beautiful city, but old Quebec City is awesome! And go thru the Frontenac Hotel - Even if you can't afford to stay at the hotel, just walk thru it. And depending on the time of year you're travelling, go about one hour north of Montreal into the Laurentian Mountains. Mont Tremblant, and all the lovely villages around it. Swim in the lovely lakes in the summer, walk or hike on the trails. In the winter, cross country ski on the same groomed trails along the Rivier Nord, ice skate on the lakes.

blessings, Shen

Old 06-02-2007, 04:12 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I am postponing my trip. It appears Customs and Immigration between the US and Canada are strained at this time and although I got to the border, I turned back.

Another day, another time when I am feeling more settled and have less personal belongs in my car and just wiz through.

Old 06-04-2007, 01:38 PM

2,186 posts, read 6,421,891 times
I'll just add to the many who have endosed Quebec City. My wife and I went there on our honeymoon and we can't wait to go back. It's like being in another country...

Old 06-07-2007, 11:24 PM

9 posts, read 27,568 times
Default Proof of Auto Insurance

I'm sorry to hear you had to postpone your trip: both Montreal and Quebec are lovely cities.

The next time you plan to drive up, you may want to check with your insurance agent to see whether you are still required to carry a special certificate stating that your auto insurance is valid in Canada. I can't recall ever having been asked for such proof at the border, but it might be an issue if you are in an accident or stopped by the police for some reason.

I hope you get to make the trip soon!

Last edited by Newyorkaise; 06-07-2007 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: revised some phraseology
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel