Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 01:07 AM

64 posts, read 191,488 times

Advertisements

I've planned a trip to the East Coast starting 07 July 2010 till 22 July 2010.
I arrive in Miami and depart from Philadelphia.
I would like to stay a couple of days in Miami, then visit the Everglades. Hop to Orlando for Disney and Universal. Leave Florida via St-Augustine.
And now comes the problem : what is there to see and visit between Florida and Washington.
What about reservations for hotels or park tickets in general?
Any advise is welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2010, 06:20 AM

64 posts, read 191,488 times
I forgot to mention that I'm interested in history, culture, nature, monuments and my family likes to go shopping and visit amusement parks

Greetings from Belgium

Old 01-21-2010, 07:43 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
On word of advice - The Everglades, in July? I wouldn't recommend it - not much to see (you want to see some gators? Every lake in Florida has gators) and it's hot, humid, wet, and you will be carried off by mosquito's.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:13 AM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Some places you might want to stop over at are Savannah, GA, Charleston SC, Asheville, NC. The first two would have nice historical homes, and Asheville for an art/restaurant scene.

As far as the Everglades, if you are just visiting the area for a short time, it really is worth a trip, even with the heat and bugs. Wear plenty of bug spray, and take an airboat ride.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
I love Charleston

williamsburg virginia is known for it's colonial elements and is also home to busch gardens amusement park

you could also look into battlefields, etc that are in the states you'll be passing through

Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 AM

360 posts, read 992,709 times
Great advice above. I too was going to suggest Charleston, SC or Williamsburg, VA.

Old 01-21-2010, 09:50 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Would not recommend Florida in the summer at all. You'll expire from heat exhaustion and mosquitoes. The time to visit Florida is in the winter or the late part of fall or early spring.

The temps at the theme parks in July in Orlando will be around 40C(106F) with punishing humidity. I made the mistake in 2007 (I should know better) to take a mini vacation in Orlando after a business trip and spent two days in agony at Sea World and Epcot. Temperatures were around 112-115F and it was so hot I was buying bottles of ice water and dumping them over my head.

What I would recommend to visit on the east coast is

1. Asheville, North Carolina for the Biltmore Estate and the Smoky Mountains National Park
Biltmore Estate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Great Smoky Mountains National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. Blue Ridge Parkway
Blue Ridge Parkway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Williamsburg, Virginia
Colonial Williamsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Busch Gardens Williamsburg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

4. Washington DC
Attractions & Tours
Smithsonian Institution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-21-2010, 01:01 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Temperatures were around 112-115F and it was so hot I was buying bottles of ice water and dumping them over my head.
Well it doesn't quite get THAT hot in Florida, rarely over 100, but the humidity makes it feel like that. I grew up in Central Florida, been to the theme parks many times, used to get a kick out of seeing the pastey white europeans getting heat exhuastion - passing out and blowing chunks during the heat of the summer afternoons. Its definetly something to take under consideration....that and the daily thunderstorms.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
There is much Civil War history in Virginia if that is of interest to you. And leave enough time to visit the many museums in Washington DC - especially the Holocost Museum. It is an eye opener.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:02 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
The OP already stated he was landing in Miami and driving north. While perhaps none of us would choose to sightsee in FL in the summer, if this is a once in a lifetime type of trip, both the Everglades and Disney are worth a stop. Just do as much as you can early or late, and relax in the middle of the day. Even Washington DC is pretty brutal in the summer, but all of the locales suggested still manage to have lots of visitors over the summer months. Go, enjoy, and keep cool when you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel