Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

Well, since Haiti has gone kaput my interest in visiting it has waned somewhat. I am still trying to find a great 3rd world country, however, that has had minimum western influence.

I am now thinking about maybe Peru or Equador. I am looking for raw culture here folks. No Hiltons, or Marriotts. The real thing. Real culture unsullied by the taint of Western civilization. We're talking minimal electricty, virtually no indoor plumbing (preferably none). Positively NO western food.

Any of you wonderful world travelers have any suggestions?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 09:29 PM

2,957 posts, read 12,726,774 times
No indoor plumbing? Half the world qualifies for that.

Places which lack plumbing are usually also rife with water borne diseases. In such places you also have to be very careful with what you eat, drink, and wash in. Places which lack plumbing are places in which you will usually get sick pretty quickly.

Getting a foul case of Dehli belly or Montezumas revenge without a bathroom handy kind of takes all the fun out of a vacation.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Urumuqui, China, then head out to nearby smaller towns. Kashgar is prettier but overrun with climbers headed for the mountains on the Pakistani border.

Kashmir between India and Pakistan. I hear it's beautiful but westerners tend to avoid it due to the bombings.

Cambodia outside of Siam Rep and the capitol.

Padang, Indonesia. Except for surfers passing through, you won't find many westerners there. Head deeper into Sumatra if it's not rural enough for you.

Mongolia outside of Ulaanbaatur.

Egypt away from Cairo and the Pyramids.

These are starting points from which to tunnel your way into the "wilds." Have fun. Doxycycline can help against malaria and a spectrum of common bacterial illnesses.

Pay close attention for strange symptoms when you return, a friend of mine was partially paralyzed (temporarily, thank God!) and nearly died from a little parasitic worm he picked up swimming in a river.

Old 01-26-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Urumuqui, China, then head out to nearby smaller towns. Kashgar is prettier but overrun with climbers headed for the mountains on the Pakistani border.

Kashmir between India and Pakistan. I hear it's beautiful but westerners tend to avoid it due to the bombings.

Cambodia outside of Siam Rep and the capitol.

Padang, Indonesia. Except for surfers passing through, you won't find many westerners there. Head deeper into Sumatra if it's not rural enough for you.

Mongolia outside of Ulaanbaatur.

Egypt away from Cairo and the Pyramids.

These are starting points from which to tunnel your way into the "wilds." Have fun. Doxycycline can help against malaria and a spectrum of common bacterial illnesses.

Pay close attention for strange symptoms when you return, a friend of mine was partially paralyzed (temporarily, thank God!) and nearly died from a little parasitic worm he picked up swimming in a river.
Ah, paradise!

I better start saving up for that boat ride.

I'm going to have to spend a day googling all these places. THANKS

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2010, 10:38 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Puna Hawaii you can also get it if don't go outside the boundaries............. Have Fun!!

Old 01-26-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
Puna Hawaii you can also get it if don't go outside the boundaries............. Have Fun!!
from www.punalani.com/

[SIZE=4]Our hales are all equipped with modern conveniences such as telephone, WiFi, Satellite TV, DVD, CD player and stereo, Books, games and movies are also in supply. Comfortably furnished in island style decor with queen sized beds in each bedroom and two full baths. Our kitchen's are fully equipped with all modern appliances. Each hale has a washer and dryer and linens, blankets and towels are supplied. [/SIZE]

A little too modern for me. But it's pretty, I'll defintely grant you that.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-26-2010, 10:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
Do you want deserted sandy beaches? Misty snowcapped mountains? Dusty blasted highlands? Steamy jungle swamps? Rolling blue-sky steppes? Endless firey golden dunes? I've got more suggestions, but I need to know what you want?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The U.S. has now successfully arrived at 3rd world status. You need not leave the country anymore.

Try the dirt roads in the Appalachin region, or the Ozarks, or areas of our larger cities where people can no longer afford to pay the water or electricity bills.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:18 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, since Haiti has gone kaput my interest in visiting it has waned somewhat. I am still trying to find a great 3rd world country, however, that has had minimum western influence.

I am now thinking about maybe Peru or Equador. I am looking for raw culture here folks. No Hiltons, or Marriotts. The real thing. Real culture unsullied by the taint of Western civilization. We're talking minimal electricty, virtually no indoor plumbing (preferably none). Positively NO western food.

Any of you wonderful world travelers have any suggestions?

20yrsinBranson

There are parts of Ecuador that qualify for what you are looking for.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:41 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,892,069 times
I had to laugh at the Hawaii recommendation. For the other recommendation - Kashmir, good choice, but I think it is closed to westerners due to instability(can't legally travel there).

Anyways, dude, you kind find raw culture in any country if you look. Now, I must warn you, this is the 21st century. Lack of indoor plumbing and electricity means doesnt mean "unsullied lack of western influence", it means poverty, and I don't think that is particularly what you are looking for. It's not enlightening, it's not cultural, it's not uplifting. But if that's your definition of culture than any country in Africa, many Asian countries (particularly India) will have vast areas that fit that description.

Otherwise, I would recommend finding what culture interests you and go to that country, avoid the huge tourist cities and sites and wander to the interior. Use local modes of travel, interact with the residents, etc. You can get the raw cultural experience without dwelling in poverty, trust me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel