Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:40 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
It was only a few years ago but I imagine not every plane/flight has the same entertainment system even within the same airline.
Indeed, as was the case with Continental.
Quote:
Of course - I've had one bad experience with US Airways too but I still fly with them most frequently mainly because they usually wind up with the lowest fare for a direct flight to/from Philly/Manchester. But having flown with them frequently because of that, I know what I'm getting with them so if the fares for other airlines are around the same price, I'll always go with US Airways.
Isn't Philly a US Airways hub?
See, this is why BA worked so well for us.
Up until 1999, there were ZERO nonstop flights to Europe out of Denver.
Then BA opened their Denver>London route. Oh happy day!
We were pleased BA passengers for 6-7 years; the Denver route worked really well for us.
Quote:
I'll only go with another airline if they are significantly cheaper because no one airline is worth paying a lot more than necessary. But now that I have an iPhone I can play movies on, I'm not as particular about the entertainment system anymore so we'll see.
I agree. Now we are on the east coast, but our JAX airport is limited, so we shop around.
I'm never that picky about entertainment because I mostly just read and sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:48 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
BA does not modify their aircraft for summer routes. 2-4-2 layouts in Economy class are found only on Airbus widebody aircraft and BA flies Boeing metal on long haul routes. Boeing 747's are 3-4-3, 777's are 3-3-3
For a seat map, see: British Airways General Information - Customer Service Telephone Numbers, Airline Links, and Partner Airlines

Is the comfort worth the difference? Depends on your budget, of course, but Premium Economy often offers pretty good value, IMHO, for west coast/central US flights. I think it's less of a deal from Boston, where the flight to London is not very long.
The reason I asked was 'cause my mother flew Premium economy last year and her layout was 2-4-2 but I guess it was one of those other planes. Unless they have a different layout in Premium then regular Economy.

I'm flying from Denver so it'll be around 10 hours for the flight. I'm not tall but my legs do get very painful when I'm sitting on a long-haul flight unless I can sleep which usually requires copious medication. Decisions, decisions !

I try to keep my carry-on to one large bag that I can stuff my handbag, magazines, toothbrush and spare undies into. I already know my little suitcase doesn't match BA's required sizes so I guess I'll be checking that.

P.S. Okay, what is the deal with BA? They don't allow prebooking of seats unless you cough up an additional $30?! Both ways?!! We're just supposed to wait until 24 hours before the flight to find out where we're sitting? That's ridiculous - no wonder they're losing money faster than it's coming in. And this is supposed to be our national airline? What a joke.

Last edited by chilaili; 02-02-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 02-03-2010, 12:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,007,002 times
Depends where you are flying. If you are flying to Orlando then yes there will be less room. If you are flying to New York of Miami there is plenty of room on BA economy. Larger planes have more room in regular economy I flew them a few weeks ago from Boston to London this was a 4 class plane so it had less seats but the room in economy was fine.

Where are you flying? That will tell me what type of plane which makes the biggest difference.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

P.S. Okay, what is the deal with BA? They don't allow prebooking of seats unless you cough up an additional $30?! Both ways?!! We're just supposed to wait until 24 hours before the flight to find out where we're sitting? .
We have the same situation with our Air Tran flight to Denver in May.
Other airlines are doing it.
Just one more step down the nickel and dime path.
But as I recall, we never used to be able to choose our BA seat until confirming our ticket 24 hours before (we've never bought a first class seat).

Old 02-03-2010, 01:49 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Well, I just booked my ticket as the price went up $50 in 2 hours. I have economy seats both ways, Denver to London, over the wings. It's a horrendous price but what can you do? They have their customers over a barrel and booking on another airline or going thro some online agent like Expedia is no cheaper. At least I get a direct flight into the spanking new Terminal 5

Old 02-03-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
At least I get a direct flight into the spanking new Terminal 5
I know what you mean.
And sometimes I just get tired of the endless search for the cheapest trip.
There is a lot to be said for a direct (and I assume non stop) flight.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,177,234 times
Quote:
The reason I asked was 'cause my mother flew Premium economy last year and her layout was 2-4-2 but I guess it was one of those other planes. Unless they have a different layout in Premium then regular Economy.
Yes, Premium Economy has a different layout than economy.

I was not aware that BA charged extra to pre-book seats. That is absurd.

Continental (CO) flies lots of narrowbody 757 planes (3-3 layout) on TATL flights, so be careful about them if you like a roomy cabin. I despise narrowbody metal across the pond and avoid lots of CO flights as a result. However, IIRC, their EWR-LHR flights are on widebody 777's.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM

325 posts, read 787,588 times
Quote:
P.S. Okay, what is the deal with BA? They don't allow prebooking of seats unless you cough up an additional $30?! Both ways?!! We're just supposed to wait until 24 hours before the flight to find out where we're sitting? That's ridiculous - no wonder they're losing money faster than it's coming in. And this is supposed to be our national airline? What a joke.
Wow that's messed up.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:35 PM

2 posts, read 2,620 times
Hi all.
I found an online service, Airlines check in online & flight check in onlinewhich provides online check in by giving the best seats preferred by us. They send boarding pass by email.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel