U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 11:41 PM

83 posts, read 694,786 times

Advertisements

Who has rented a house for their family vacation? How was your experience and how did you find out about the rental property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2007, 12:18 AM

75 posts, read 254,844 times
I have not rented, but I used to rent out a condo in Vail, Colorado. Even though it was managed by a reliable company, it seemed like every time it was rented out, items would disappear. Fully furnished is nice for the renter, however, the only things listed as items in the property were big ticket items. It costed a small fortune to replace small things- coasters, placemats, towels.. ect.. everytime someone rented. It became too much of a hassle- sold it.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:15 AM

10,189 posts, read 25,232,752 times
I've rented several houses and each experience was different. Some are well-appointed, and well furnished--down to soap. Others are marginally furnished, and have no towels. It's best to ask as many questions as possible before renting if you can't see the property, and know in advance what's important to you for the holiday time away from home.

The rentals were either referrals or from people I knew directly or through friends. Online sources are interesting to read, but more often than not are more pricey and more speculative especially as you get out of your region.

We are always taking chances, and this is one of those chances.

Good luck in your decision-making!

Old 05-28-2007, 12:35 PM

548 posts, read 2,461,775 times
We've rented houses many times and always had a great experience. We use a rental agent, and we may pay more that way...I have no idea and I don't really care b/c we have always gotten exactly what we've expected, and that's worth something to me. The one time we had an issue, we called the rental agent on a Sunday and they came out and fixed it.

Very relaxing, more space, loved it every time.

Old 05-28-2007, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the great replies. I have been toying with the idea of buying a vacation home, both for our personal use and to rent out when we are not there. I'm sure not sure how much of a market there is for it, and I have the same concerns mentioned by chaos. Chaos, is there a standard percentage that a management company charges for vacation rentals?

Old 05-28-2007, 08:49 PM

Looking at my original question, I suppose I should start a new thread and ask how many people have owned vacation rentals and how their experience was...

Old 05-29-2007, 09:35 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,632,899 times
I just rented in middle of may a vacation rental for 7 days at the outer banks 4 bedroom 2.5 bath with pvt pool, hot tub and crows nest for $525 for the week and wow what a bargain.

I knew we had to provide towels but everything else was provided.

I was really impress with the small touches of the home from ample supply of books , video games for ps2 , lots of cooking utensils and nice china and glassware. to something simple as a deck of cards and the nice smelling candles.

I discovered it thru a realty website and definite recommend sellers to use a realtor to manage property so you dont have to worry about the headaches

Old 05-29-2007, 09:42 PM

Thanks for the reply SunnyKayak. It sounds like you had a great experience. Do you regularly look for homes to rent for vacation or was this your first time? Will you go that route again?

Old 05-29-2007, 11:28 PM

14,874 posts, read 38,056,099 times
We have rented homes, condos and cabins in different areas. Also have looked at different destinations to purchase a property and use it ourselves some and rent out the rest of the time. We always ask ourselves firstoff how easy is it for us to get to this location? Few hours drive or flight? Full day of travel be it a long flight(s), long flight combined w/ a drive, or long drive? Could we REALLY take advantage of the location that often? Next up is the appeal of the destination. Is it a year round destination or seasonal? Would it sit empty for a good chunk of the year then the hot season be the same times we would want to use it? Then the price consideration. Would our intial investment be paid off in the near future? In say five or ten years? Or less if it is a hot year round destination. We have several locations in mind but trying to find the right one for us. We have also decided that a condo unit would be best as it would provide the pool and other recreational activities (game room, bbq/picnic area, access to off site attractions, etc) and no outdoor upkeep on our part. Some condo developments have their own housekeeping service no matter what management company you use then a few have an onsite management office. Just depends on what YOU are wanting for YOUR best interests for the longrun.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:05 AM

22,974 posts, read 59,632,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALOVE View Post
Thanks for the reply SunnyKayak. It sounds like you had a great experience. Do you regularly look for homes to rent for vacation or was this your first time? Will you go that route again?

You are welcome it was my first time renting a home and definite will do it again. I was limited in hotel options is why I went this route.

I do wish there was or maybe I havent discovered it but a website for home rentals can be found under one site like a travel discount site that would be a added bonus and extra exposure for the homeowners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or