U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:56 PM

2,408 posts, read 13,515,533 times

Advertisements

As others have said, go for it!

I almost always travel by myself. There are certain drawbacks and there have been plenty of times when I've wished to have had someone along with me to share my experiences, but I've found that more often than not, the benefits have outweighed the drawbacks. Traveling by yourself means you can be as selfish as you want. You don't have to negotiate with someone else. If while driving you want to make a detour, you can without hearing some moaning from your traveling partner. You can eat where you want, spend as much time in a museum or at the beach as you want, take your time and do whatever you want. Generally, when I've traveled by myself, I've stayed in youth hostels (this is mostly abroad) and met so many interesting people, many of whom I've buddied up with and hung out with for the day or two, so I never really felt completely alone.

Traveling alone isn't for some people which is fine, but you'll never know unless you try. Have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 12:41 AM

5,610 posts, read 21,097,004 times
Thanks for the comments, everybody! It turns out I decided not to go, partly because of the situation with my car, partly because of the money, partly because of fear. I had some sticker shock trying to calculate the logistics of my plan for San Diego. I'm too scared to stay in an ultra-cheap, rundown motel, all alone, and a nicer, newer hotel in San Diego costs too much for me without splitting the cost between 2 or more people. I don't know anybody that lives there I could stay with, so that's out. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for a better opportunity to go to SD.

I agree with SpeedyAZ that solo getaways are better for day trips, 2 hours or less drive. I've been to both Sedona and Tucson a couple of times-- I know what he's talking about. Although with summer starting to crank up, both those two places are barely any cooler than Phoenix. This time of year, the only close by destination where you can really cool down is by sticking your head in the grocery store freezers by the frozen dinners. A common theme I've been noticing on these posts is that it sounds like solo travelling works well with Europe-- and staying in youth hostels there. That's something I might look into. It probably helps that you can get around Europe without a car. That method of travelling doesn't seem to work as well with California, unfortunately.

Old 05-31-2007, 12:50 AM

15,578 posts, read 37,264,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Just wondering what you guys think. I'm a college student on summer break, I'll be trying to get a summer job soon but currently have a couple of free days. I am thinking about driving from Phoenix to San Diego (about a 6hr drive) later this week and spending a couple of nights there. I want to cool off from this relentless Arizona heat, take a break from crappy Phoenix, and see the ocean; I haven't even seen the ocean in years! Most college kids from AZ only go to SD because they want to go to Tijuana, get drunk, and party. I'm not interested in that stuff one bit; I don't care about partying or night life; I just want to relax and see something different.

My plan would be to walk around a couple of beaches (La Jolla), do some hiking, check out the downtown and Balboa park (not the zoo or sea world though), and most importantly, check out some of the colleges in the area (UCSD, SDSU, USD). I love walking around other college campuses. Problem, is, I don't know anybody to go with any time soon (let alone finding somebody who would be interested in the kind of trip I have in mind). I have some friends that just went there for memorial day weekend (without telling me), everybody else is busy or spending their summer out of state. Should I just go for it and do my own thing-- or is traveling alone weird and just plain wrong?
No. There is absolutely nothing wrong with traveling alone and wanting to stay sober and do what you want to so and see what you want to see. Go for it - have a great time and just be happy!

Old 05-31-2007, 02:00 AM

2,408 posts, read 13,515,533 times
That sucks about having to cancel the trip vegaspilgrim, but like you said, I'm sure other opportunities to do so will pop up in the future.

Just as a note in case you're planning any future trips, there actually are a good number of hostels in this country, including a handful in San Diego (see below), some that go for or as little as $20/night.

Hostels in San Diego - Book Online at Hostelworld.com

I've stayed in hostels in three cities in the U.S., in Austin, Los Angeles and Flagstaff. Austin and Flagstaff were terrific, probably two of the nicest hostels I've stayed at of anyplace. Los Angeles' was pretty dingy. However, I'm under the impression that hostels in this country generally are better than those abroad. I know that they can be an acquired taste and that the dormitory sort of accomodation, with it's shared rooms and bathrooms with strangers, isn't for everyone, but for someone looking to save a few bucks on lodging, it's a great option, especially for young people traveling by themselves as you generally meet other young people traveling by themselves from around the world, and people are generally very friendly and sociable.

Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 PM

178 posts, read 741,605 times
Go for it! You shouldn't have to wait around to see if anyone MIGHT want to have the kind of trip you're planning . some time along also gives you time for reflection and just plain down-time. Another advantage is that when you are alone you are more likely to meet and talk w/ people- Of course it is wise to use your gut instinct to guide you in this regard. I'm just talking causual conversations w/ people you come in contact with to share a comment or two.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM

1,354 posts, read 5,851,173 times
Too bad you had to cancel your trip!

Old 06-03-2007, 08:54 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,936,410 times
I like traveling alone very much. the main perk is, you get to do whatever you want on your own time. You're not stuck with someone else or with a group, wasting time trying to agree on where to go next, what to eat, which hotel to check into, etc etc etc.

Old 06-03-2007, 08:58 PM

600 posts, read 1,184,577 times
Default I would be willing to join you if you need a traveling partner to San Diego

Quote:
Just wondering what you guys think. I'm a college student on summer break, I'll be trying to get a summer job soon but currently have a couple of free days. I am thinking about driving from Phoenix to San Diego (about a 6hr drive)
Let me know if you are seeking a traveling partner for another trip to San Diego. I am an MBA student at Arizona State and I could use a trip to San Diego. I would like to see a Padres game at PETCO Park. Perhaps we could go when the Diamondbacks are playing the Padres there.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:06 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,502,696 times
Some of my best trips were traveling alone, or just meeting up with someone.
It can be a bit intimidating in a foreign country, but quite exciting and interesting.
As others have said, you get to do what you want, and going solo opens you up more to the travel experience--and getting acquainted with new people, as well.
Hostels and cheap nice hotels do exist in the United States, and there are some especially good ones in California.
Good luck next time, vegaspilgrim.

Old 06-04-2007, 12:23 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,324,072 times
Quote:
Thanks for the comments, everybody! It turns out I decided not to go, partly because of the situation with my car, partly because of the money, partly because of fear. I had some sticker shock trying to calculate the logistics of my plan for San Diego. I'm too scared to stay in an ultra-cheap, rundown motel, all alone, and a nicer, newer hotel in San Diego costs too much for me without splitting the cost between 2 or more people. I don't know anybody that lives there I could stay with, so that's out. I guess I'll have to be patient and wait for a better opportunity to go to SD.

I agree with SpeedyAZ that solo getaways are better for day trips, 2 hours or less drive. I've been to both Sedona and Tucson a couple of times-- I know what he's talking about. Although with summer starting to crank up, both those two places are barely any cooler than Phoenix. This time of year, the only close by destination where you can really cool down is by sticking your head in the grocery store freezers by the frozen dinners. A common theme I've been noticing on these posts is that it sounds like solo travelling works well with Europe-- and staying in youth hostels there. That's something I might look into. It probably helps that you can get around Europe without a car. That method of travelling doesn't seem to work as well with California, unfortunately.
Bummer. Personally, I've travelled alone here and had a great time. On no one's timetable but my own. Have you checked into hostels here? I'd check that out before writing everything off. Happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or