Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:40 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,394,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexi-in-Arlington-Heights View Post
My family wants me to go with somebody to Europe. But I told them no. According to them it isn't safe? But I told them this is Europe! Where there are going to be thousands of backpackers like me. I don't really care about company hell I might even make friends with some backpackers and enjoy a city with them. Right before I go to my next city.
I did it by myself and indeed you do meet people especially in hostels and sometimes pal around with them for a few days, even traveling together if your itineraries match up. It's great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:25 PM

9 posts, read 68,969 times
Vegaspilgram, my son who is now 30 and living in NZ studied abroad in England for a summer after his second year of college. He went with a group of about 30 students and a couple of professors. That was his first experience traveling somewhere that far. All the students except him bunched into groups literally paralized to break loose and explore. So he just took off when he was in a class and roamed all around England. He's an only child and he's pretty independent. When he graduated, he went back and traveled alone through Europe for two months and loved it. He has gone many places alone since then because he's a person that likes to meet new people and cultures. He moved to New Zealand two years ago no knowing a soul but loves it, has tons of friends. I only wish I'd had the opportunity and the courage to do what he did when I was young. Many young people are afraid to go around the block w/o their friends. I so admire people that get out there and go for it and take it all in. Life is short. Go and explore when you have the opportunity. Best wishes and, NO, it's not weird at all

Old 07-01-2007, 12:00 AM

103 posts, read 392,131 times
I like to travel around the country by myself.I can remember those days I travelled to those places.Only take a schoolbag with me.A book I like best.Sitting on the bus and listening to the music.I like it.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM

791 posts, read 2,223,005 times
vegaspilgrim - R O A D T R I P ..... You know what you gotta do now. Next opportunity, go. You won't know if it works for you til you try. And even at that, it takes practice.

First thing I do when I get someplace is groceries. Bottled water, fruit, cookies, chips. Then I figure out where to go, the park, museum, beach, bars. When you get there, if you need someone to talk to, just think up some dumb egg tourist question and find someone to ask.

If you're in Europe, try asking in a native tongue. Not understanding, they'll ask if you speak english; reply in a halting, meek tone. They'll think you're canadian and be nice to you.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:13 AM

27,345 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Theres nothing wrong with doing solo on a trip. I do it all the time and enjoy it just as much as if anyone was around.
Look at it this way, at least you dont have to wait for the other person to get their stuff together, or vice versa, they dont have to wait for you to do the same, you can just go your own pace. I make the best of traveling solo.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times
No, it's not weird traveling alone. I went through a period of my life where I enjoyed traveling alone. Most of these travels I did in North America and Europe. I felt that my experiences were less affected by other people (because I was solo) and I was also more approachable. I met more people on my own.

But then, several years ago, I decided to join a small group tour (8 people) through some of Peru, and I found myself enjoying the social aspect of the trip--particularly having others to dine with in the evenings and just meeting new people. Since then, I've been more inclined to take these small group trips, but I still occasionally go solo.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:42 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,866,968 times
Anyone looking to travel alone should check out Travel Blogs | Travel Reviews | Travel Buddies - TravBuddy.com. It's a great site comprised of thousands of people around the world that either aspire to travel or that are very seasoned travelers. Many members create travel blogs or share insightful information about their home towns. If you put in your intinerary, it will alert you of other members that are going to the same destination on the same dates, any many members meet to site see together. Check it out! It's a very interesting and friendly site.

Old 09-22-2007, 09:34 AM

121 posts, read 521,959 times
I've taken several trips on my own and enjoyed them immensely! I suggest everybody do it at least once. The only time I ever felt a bit lonesome was at dinnertime if I went to a nice restaurant.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:25 PM

746 posts, read 3,499,662 times
When I was younger, I ran into the same sort of situation. My friends wanted to go someplace only to party and get laid. I wanted to see the world, talk to new people, learn about the world. So I got into the habit of flying solo and have never regretted it, except for Venice. Venice is the exception that proves the rule. It is too romantic to visit alone, you have to go with somenone special.

Even when I visit relatives or old friends, I schedule lots of time to go exploring on my own.

The results: I hve never been mugged, have made lifetime friends I still exchange holidy greetings and updates with, and even went to Majorca once to refresh an aquaintance with an English couple I had enjoyed immensely.

I did find that speaking a smattering of each language helped a lot, and would spend winters brushing up on Finnish or Chinese or whatever. It is easier today with online pronunciation guides instead of phonetic interpretations. In Greece, one guy was so amazed I even tried he made me repeat every word I knew. Opa!

Now there are a couple of precursers I would recommend. First, I trust you are street smart, and will remain aware of your surroundings at all times. This doesen't mean that you have to be in a constant state of fear or even simple anxiety, but to be sufficiently self-reliant and observant to note what is going on, and the nearest "safe" place. A street with traffic, a house with lights will do. It is automatic with me.

Finding ways to get converstions started is easy. If you are thinking of eating in a fancier restaurant, just ask congenial looking people who are going there if they would recommend it for a single person. After one or two opinions, I bet there is an invitation, too. Or if none is forthcoming, you won't be sitting alone for long before one of the others "takes pity" on you and invites you to join them. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

I also assume you are gregarious, and happy to talk about what others find interesting. That's why I traveled in the first place, and I always came back a richer person for the experience.

But, it should be noted, I was always happy to return home to my own bed, my own friends and my familiar surroundings. Traveling alone means having to make all the decisions and do all the work of schedules and finding your way around. But then, what stories I had to share!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,282,339 times
I've been traveling alone for 35 years. I'm a 55 year old woman and have enjoyed myself immensely. I've traveled solo to China, Cambodia, Laos, Burma, Thailand, Bali, Japan, all over Europe (East and Western), and the US. I'm currently living in Japan.

Read up on the areas you might want to visit but play each day by ear.

I travel alone and meet wonderful people hoping that we'll hook up again some day. When you travel alone, you see more and meet more people.

I envy your newness to this experience. You will grow and learn and change in small but delightful ways.

Have fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel