Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 03:06 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,246,583 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what you guys think. I'm a college student on summer break, I'll be trying to get a summer job soon but currently have a couple of free days. I am thinking about driving from Phoenix to San Diego (about a 6hr drive) later this week and spending a couple of nights there. I want to cool off from this relentless Arizona heat, take a break from crappy Phoenix, and see the ocean; I haven't even seen the ocean in years! Most college kids from AZ only go to SD because they want to go to Tijuana, get drunk, and party. I'm not interested in that stuff one bit; I don't care about partying or night life; I just want to relax and see something different.

My plan would be to walk around a couple of beaches (La Jolla), do some hiking, check out the downtown and Balboa park (not the zoo or sea world though), and most importantly, check out some of the colleges in the area (UCSD, SDSU, USD). I love walking around other college campuses. Problem, is, I don't know anybody to go with any time soon (let alone finding somebody who would be interested in the kind of trip I have in mind). I have some friends that just went there for memorial day weekend (without telling me), everybody else is busy or spending their summer out of state. Should I just go for it and do my own thing-- or is traveling alone weird and just plain wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 03:52 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,064,625 times
Well, ever since I can remember, which is at least a thousand years, I have travelled alone. I like it for the most part, and only occasionally wish I invited a partner.

But, if I waited, and thought it was weird, I'd have missed half the world.

So, my answer is go for it and enjoy yourself. If you don't like doing it alone, you'll find partners the next trip out.

Good luck!

Old 05-29-2007, 06:34 PM

3,413 posts, read 8,816,626 times
Traveling alone is a wonderful experience- I highly recommend taking that road trip and doing everything that you want to do.

Earlier this year I flew from Florida to Phoenix and toured Sedona, the Grand Canyon, Monument Valley and the Painted Desert------ all by myself. It was the best five days I've had in years!!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:26 PM

550 posts, read 2,820,541 times
My brother traveled around Europe after graduating from University. He met so many people and had a blast. Some people are just able and happy to do that. I envy those types!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:39 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,079,724 times
I say go for it vegaspilgrim!!! I hope you enjoy your trip.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:52 PM

5,688 posts, read 11,240,009 times
Default Go for it.

Hey pilgrim, San Diego is a great place for a college student to hang out for a few days. No shortage of people in your age range around town, especially out near the beach communities. In addition to La Jolla, go check out "OB" Ocean Beach, a real neat place that has a great beach front to walk around. Want a hiking place, go out to Point Loma, lots of trails right above the ocean. Perfect cure for AZ desert heat stroke. Have fun, the weather has been nice lately along the coast, maybe even on the cool side so bring along a sweatshirt or windbreaker for the early morning or evenings if the fog is hanging around.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:59 PM

4,271 posts, read 15,223,804 times
Well, the right time is now for you to go it alone! I did a lot of travelling by myself in my college days but always knew people at the destination I was going. When the Internet was "safer" back in 1997 I actually met people from IRC (internet relay chat ... old chatting program) and that was pretty cool. In retrospect, it was a stupid thing to do but I was lucky and met some pretty cool people. Don't be afraid to go on a vacation alone ... it'll be some of the best memories you'll make, I think!

Old 05-29-2007, 08:25 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,645,170 times
There are times when it's fun to travel alone but I find that it's more enjoyable to have someone along to share your experience. For me I usually travel with a friend unless I go on a short trip to San Diego or Tucson. Sometimes you just need to get away from it all and usually the place for me to go is Sedona or Tucson. They're each only a few hours drive and yet my state of mind can go from stressed-out to relaxed in those few hours. Personally I just can't find a whole bunch of fun in traveling by yourself; I like to have someone along to share the experience most of the time.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,936,310 times
You'll only have regrets if you don't do it! Go! Have fun!

Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,265,713 times
Go and enjoy yourself. However, let someone know where you are and keep your cell phone on. It is very dangerous out there today. Keep your car doors locked and be careful who you befriend. With that said, you might just want to take a friend. Safety in numbers and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel