U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 02:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 19,689,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
I have a friend that while living in Idaho Falls, often had to go to Ogden, UT for work, two to three times a week.

She'd often call me when driving home, especially during winter as those roads can get bad.

All of a sudden she's asking me where she's at Tells me that Promontory Point is not too far.... she missed her switch in Interstates and wound up on a complete different highway I told her she still might be able to see it as it's gold
Yep, ya gotta pay attention in that I-15/I-84/I-86 "triangle"...

Hey, Cleosmom, there's a tour of Alaska and the Pacific Northwest being promoted on WLW, 700 AM radio in Cincinnati. The sports guy who is leading the tour says "see beautiful Lake "Cour de Aleen"... Grates on my ears like chalk on a chalk board every time I hear the ad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2008, 07:32 PM

4,707 posts, read 16,141,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Yep, ya gotta pay attention in that I-15/I-84/I-86 "triangle"...

Hey, Cleosmom, there's a tour of Alaska and the Pacific Northwest being promoted on WLW, 700 AM radio in Cincinnati. The sports guy who is leading the tour says "see beautiful Lake "Cour de Aleen"... Grates on my ears like chalk on a chalk board every time I hear the ad!
Aww, cut him some slack, he's way over yonder

I like the DJs in AZ, they are talking about Prescott and calling it PresCUT I asked a lifer there for the correct pronunciation and the said Prescott.

Old 04-15-2009, 03:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
Does anybody have any funny travel stories?
I have two:
1. My grandma and cousin were on their way to Tooele, Utah and they got distracted by talking and they got to Wendover, Nevada before they noticed they had passed Tooele. The distance between Tooele and Wendover is 113.62 miles.
2. My two cousins (one from the story before) were also driving to Tooele and they got distracted from talking and missed the exit to go west and went north. They ended up going up to Pocatello, Idaho before they realized what happened. The distance between Salt Lake City and Pocatello is 165.01 miles.
haha! wow! how'd they end up so far away? haha! i have some funny travel stories of my own, why don't you check 'em out at Moderator cut: URL removed. Please stay on topic !

Last edited by MB2; 04-16-2009 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 04:30 AM

14,621 posts, read 14,575,660 times
A friend and I were in France and my friend put in our destination to the Sat Nav, a city around 25 miles away.

The device churned away for a few seconds and then announced in a female robotic voice 'Turn right and stay on the road for the next 1,300 miles.'

We decided to enter the destiation again.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:18 AM

1,045 posts, read 4,102,101 times
I have some really funny stories about just getting lost or not necessarily acting the proper way when I was in Japan. Its hard when you only speak and read so much of the language.

Anyway, I am in the hospitality industry and you would be shocked at how many people realize that their flight was a day earlier!!!

Also, we had a family leaving the island who was so misbehaved that the plane turned around, landed and forced them off the plane.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:35 PM

857 posts, read 1,284,438 times
while traveling europe with a couple buddies of mine we ended up going to this club in munich, and we ended up talking to these two tall blonde girls, things were going fine until they said they were Swiss, to witch my buddies both repond by talking about how they really want to go to Stockholm. The girls looked at them like they were retarded, I caught their eye and we just started laughing and they walked off. It took them the rest of the night to figure out where they went wrong

Old 05-08-2009, 07:12 PM

179 posts, read 496,708 times
I have a funny-in-hindsight story from when I was in Poland. In Krakow, the trams there have little computerized ticket scanners that validate your ticket once you step inside. The tickets are purchased from newstands all over the city, and you must validate your ticket. I was cheating the system for almost a week without buying a ticket, until I saw some plainsclothes gentlemen put some lanyards around their necks and started checking for validated tickets. I high tailed it out of there at the next stop, just barely escaping. I thought to myself, I really should get a ticket this time for my next trip.

So I bought a ticket from the stand by my hostel, saying "bilet, prosze" (meaning ticket, please), and the lady gave me a ticket. I hopped on the next tram, and validated my ticket from the machine. The plainsclothes men got on and started asking for tickets. I was so proud of myself that I had validated my ticket, so I got it ready and gave it to them when they asked. They started talking to me in Polish, and I asked, "English please?" They informed me that I had a student ticket, and that I need to show them student identification. I thought, well, no problem, I'll show them my Eastern Michigan University ID. They said, "Polish students only". I said, "Well I didn't ask for that kind of ticket, so I don't know what to tell you".

They made me get off at the next stop (which luckily was where I was going anyway, to the train station to cross the border and go to Ukraine that day). They demanded that I pay them 100 zlotys, which is somewhere around $40. I had exchanged most of my money from Polish to Ukrainian currency just before and had very few zlotys left, but they threatened to call the police if I did not give them money.

I stood there in the rain bawling my eyes out while they begged me not to cry. Finally I gave them the remainder of my Polish coins and they left. I guess back at the newstand my pronunciation was good enough that I was given a Polish student ticket! Wost travel day ever to date, but looking back it is kind of amusing!!

Old 06-05-2009, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,078 times
Default The less-than-frequent flyer (Part 1)

I was recently invited to a wedding for a relative I had actually never seen in my life. Of course, if you know your family, they pretty much force you to attend: like the old man in the casket at our last family reunion. Ignore the last sentence, apparently that was a funeral.
I work for a company with a corporate jet. Travel is fairly simple: you tell the pilot to fly somewhere, and you get on the plane. Unfortunately, my cousin lives in Naples, Italy, which I was told is outside the jet's range or whatever.
I had never booked a flight before, so I consulted my most trusted adviser (Google). I clicked a few buttons and got this phone number for a place called "United". So I call the number, and a few minutes later, I bought a seat! Easy, just like ordering a pizza!
So, when you travel on "United" you need something called a "taxi" to bring you to their airport. To have one come, you have to call another number (order another pizza). Apparently they did not know who I was, because when I asked for a limousine, they started laughing at me.
Eventually, a small yellow car pulled into my driveway, which was the complete opposite of a limo. If any of you have ever ridden a "taxi", are the drivers usually this thieving: the driver tried to take my suitcase right out of my hands! And when we got to someplace called "terminal", he even tried to make me give him my credit card! You can never be too safe with your credit cards, especially with people who have tried to steal from you before. After I got out of the car, a few less-than-polite words were exchanged, and he drove away.
I stood at the curb, waiting for gorgeous flight attendants to come and bring my suitcases to the plane. I stood there for half an hour, and nobody came out the doors! Finally a police officer came over, and after taking my pulse, guided me inside. I told him that I was trying to find "United" and he had clearly taken me to a shopping mall by mistake! He pointed me to a store with a giant letter U over a counter, then told me to "watch it" and walked off.
So, with nothing else to do, I went to the counter to see what the nice police man wanted me to watch for him. Then another woman took my suitcase and put my suitcase on a giant belt going into a hole in the wall! I told her that as I found a flight attendant she was going to be in trouble. She handed me a piece of paper (with a bunch of secret code on it or something), which she called my "boarding pass".
I noticed a bowl of candy on one of the counters, and thanked the woman for her forethought as I took the bowl. I also added that I would not be needing a pass for boards, all I needed was to get onto a plane. Some more words were exchanged as I walked off to find that policeman.
The woman grabbed me and pointed me in a different direction, towards a flock of policemen and several door frames standing empty in the middle of a room. I was told this was "security" and my "gate" was on the other side. I walked up and entered a huge line of people. Apparently they must really respect me if so many people are willing to stand in line to see me! I ducked under a rope, and walked forward to one of the free-standing empty door frames, signing a few people's shirts and one man's shaved head. Apparently they wanted to wait until they got through "security" for their autographs.

Stay tuned for the next installment, "Boarding"

Old 06-05-2009, 07:03 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,101,128 times
An acquaintance had a son who, with his friend, occasionally bit off more than they could handle. One day this adventurous teenage pair decided to jump aboard a train and ride a little way then jump off. They managed to hop aboard in SW Missouri. Unfortunately the train gathered more speed than they expected and they couldn't jump back off. Imagine her surprise when she got a phone call asking for her to come get them at the train's next stop-in Tulsa Oklahoma!

Old 06-05-2009, 09:06 PM

3,597 posts, read 11,005,713 times
A lot of years ago, I took a trip to the Fiji Islands. While I was there, I became friends with a Fijian family that worked at the resort I was staying at. The resort was on one of the more remote islands and far away from the only international airport on the main island. When it came time for me to head back to the states, these new friends were distressed to hear that I would have to sit at the airport for over 6 hours before boarding my flight. They set up for me to visit with some of their relatives that lived in the main city near the airport. I'm always up for an adventure so I agreed to meet them & spend some time with them before my flight. Unfortunately, their English was almost as bad as my Fijian so we communicated with more hand gestures than words. After a while ( and a lot of long silences) they spoke excitedly in Fijian, looked at me and said "American Television". The father of the family then ceremoniously went over and popped a VHS tape into their machine and turned on the TV. For the next 2 hours I was treated to "American Television" in the form of WWF wrestling

They were warm and gracious people but boy was I glad to get on that plane!

Last edited by Va-Cat; 06-05-2009 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or