Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 08:17 AM

111 posts, read 435,519 times

Advertisements

I'm pretty sure I saw one of these topics somewhere on this board, but I couldn't find it so it may have been another board or I may just be mistaken. What are some of your biggest pet peeves when flying?

I always try to get a window seat and if it's my girlfriend and I, then we both usually try to get a window seat, with one of us sitting in one row and the other directly behind them. However, it seems that one of us, usually me, ends up next to people that always want to lean over into my space to look at the window. It's not my fault that I got a window seat and this person didn't. I'm fine with the cramped feeling that comes with flying, but c'mon people, don't make it more crowded than it is already.

I rarely sleep on planes, but it seems like anytime I try, somebody always wants to start talking to me. It's one thing if I'm awake and clearly not trying to sleep, but when I put my seat back and close my eyes, it means don't talk to me. I wouldn't talk to those people if they were trying to sleep.

I understand travelling with kids isn't easy so this isn't directed at all parents. I hate it when parents don't make any effort at all to keep their kids under control. I know that if I see a parent trying to control their kids and the kids just don't listen, I'll be more tolerant of that parent than if they were just trying to push the responsibility to the flight attentdants, who do have a more important job to do than chasing kids around the plane.

Possibly my biggest pet peeve involves baggage, either in the overhead bins or in baggage claim. Too many times I've seen people try to jam their bags into an overhead bin with other bags when they clearly won't fit. Then they try to force it in, not caring it would seem if they might damage something in somebody else's bag. On the same token, people at the baggage claim seeing a bag that they think is theirs, but after starting to pick it up, they notice it's not their bag. So instead of placing it back on the line gently, the slam it back down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 08:33 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,322,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
Possibly my biggest pet peeve involves baggage, either in the overhead bins or in baggage claim. Too many times I've seen people try to jam their bags into an overhead bin with other bags when they clearly won't fit. Then they try to force it in, not caring it would seem if they might damage something in somebody else's bag. On the same token, people at the baggage claim seeing a bag that they think is theirs, but after starting to pick it up, they notice it's not their bag. So instead of placing it back on the line gently, the slam it back down.
I agree 100% with these ones.

I also hate it when people let their kids misbehave - an example: last time I flew between Paris and Atlanta there was a little boy, maybe aged 6/7, who kept running all over the place almost from take off until landing. At times he was really getting noisy, or pushing people's elbows (though not voluntarily I think)... A woman, whom I suppose was his grandmom, tried to get him back to his seat on a couple of occasions, but it obviously didn't work...
I understand kids need to move, but this one was really moving too much!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:34 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
I'd rather be in the aisle because I'm tall, so I can stretch my legs in the passage during flight , and anyway, watching the clouds through the window gets old fast, especially since I'm easily blinded by the strong light up in the sky!
I need a lot of rest while travelling (wether in plane, train or car)- the only way to evacuate the stress of being confined without moving in a small cage for me-, so I usually bring a small cushion that I dispose to polster it under my head , arms crossed ,on the tray in front of me. Besides I need to go peeing from time to time (slight bladder problem) so it's better to be in the aisle so as not to disturb my neighbours!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:23 AM

316 posts, read 849,636 times
1. People who recline the seat all the way.
2. People who use the entire armrest.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:35 AM

96 posts, read 270,301 times
being stuck on a 12 hour trans-pacific flight with someone who never heard of soap.
wish i had tiger balm to smear under my nose.
first/business class is sooooo much better. more room and less or no kiddies.
also prefer foreign airlines which still have non-pc attractive female flight attendants.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:43 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,784,725 times
I typically opt for a window seat, because sitting in an aisle seat means I will have my elbow knocked off the armrest by clueless passengers and ever widening flight attendents.

While small children are typically annoying ANYWHERE you go in public, so are other people's pets. Flew a redeye once and had to listen to someone's cat meowing for 6 hours.

People who have walnut sized bladders who sit by the window, and drink like a fish, then need to go to the restroom every 20 minutes.

When the plane lands and makes it's final taxi into the terminal, everyone jumps up at once and scrambles for their luggage in the overhead bins, then clogs the aisle as though getting off the plane 2 minutes before everyone else is a huge victory. Then there's the ones who forget exiting etiquette, and instead of allowing you to get out of your seat and into the aisle (always let the people seated ahead of you out first) they stampede their way from the rear not allowing you to get out. Ignorant!

Old 01-26-2010, 09:47 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee3 View Post
I'm pretty sure I saw one of these topics somewhere on this board, but I couldn't find it so it may have been another board or I may just be mistaken.
//www.city-data.com/forum/trave...et-peeves.html

Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

304 posts, read 782,756 times
[quote=AusParent;12618354]1. People who recline the seat all the way.
quote]

and not un-recline it when you're supposed to - e.g. take-offs, landings, meal time.

Old 01-29-2010, 02:11 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
1. People who recline the seat all the way.
quote] and not un-recline it when you're supposed to - e.g. take-offs, landings, meal time.
Absolutely!
An announcement was just made! I feel your pain!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:14 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
I flew Air New Zealand recently. They asked people over the loudspeaker to put their seats up for dinner so naturally the couple in front of us didn't. When the trolleys reached us the flight attendant leaned over and loudly said to these two, "Would you PLEASE put your seats up so the people behind you aren't eating their meal out of their laps?"

I can never understand why people leap to their feet the minute the plane stops taxi-ing. You're not going to get off any faster, you have to stand there and wait for them to hook up the gate and open the doors and then wait while someone up ahead fights to get their oversized bag down from the overhead, so why not sit comfortably and wait? Weird
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel