U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 08:21 AM

10,685 posts, read 14,344,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremeyk482 View Post
I really love Connecticut. It's a state that blends the fast life with relaxation, rolling country farms and beaches, and is considered the NYC metropolitan area and only 2 hours from Boston.

The price to live here is high, but you certainly get what you pay for. Among the best Italian food in the country, some of the best public schools, culture and a great nightlife. Don't forget the four seasons with foliage that will make you think you're in a storybook.

Who thought a drive down a highway would be so relaxing? The Merritt Pkwy in Fairfield County is absolutely beautiful, so much that people actually picnic and fish along the grassy shoulder. If you get off one of the exits, you'll find small quaint towns with old mansions in well-established neighborhoods, mature tree-lined streets and conservatively dressed neighbors.

Politically, Connecticut is said to be liberal, but most of the state is fiscally conservative and socially liberal. People here cater to both parties, as they are generally in the middle of the L and R. People here are very well-educated and know what's up. My own opinion is that people here are open minded and always look at both sides of the spectrum before making a decision. "Live and let live" is the mindset here.

I've lived in many places around the USA, but I will never live anywhere else. This place is my paradise.
CT is a beautiful state for sure.

Someone asked me once where would I live if NYC wasn't an option (I live there now)... CT would be my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM

1,482 posts, read 954,178 times
California, grew up there, Hawaii, gorgeous, peaceful, Texas, always felt at home, North Carolina, beautiful and another state that I feel at home, Oklahoma, didn't like it at all but it grew on me. I guess I have to mention Missouri since I live here, I might like it better if I lived in a different town.

Old 10-24-2017, 08:41 PM

877 posts, read 535,651 times
California, Wisconsin, Maine, Oregon come to mind.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:35 PM

6,109 posts, read 797,013 times
I <3 NY

Old 10-24-2017, 10:22 PM

975 posts, read 1,834,641 times
Been to about 30 of 50 states. I'll assume the OP(when this topic first started 10ish years ago) intended this thread to be your favorite states based on your trips there, not so much how you thought of living in those states. Since I've only lived in 2 different parts of Illinois, and never anywhere else.

Favorites:

Wisconsin, Michigan, Kentucky, Colorado, Georgia, West Virginia(mainly for its scenery), California. Honorable mentions to Florida, Arizona, and Indiana(political conservatism aside, I seriously think people do underrate Indiana).

Least favorite(no state has entirely disgusted me, but these states didn't jump out to me as much. DON'T take it personally against me, if I mentioned your state. this was TOUGH to name worst states, since even worser states usually have a handful of positive aspects about them):

Arkansas(probably need to visit the Ozarks to better appreciate this state), Alabama, Mississippi. And in a way, Nebraska. I wouldn't mind visiting the western part of the state near Scottsbluff, NE, since it always looked extremely nice in pictures! And since the parts of the state away from I-80, I suspect from street viewing parts of western Nebraska are probably nicer.

Old 10-25-2017, 02:42 PM

16,241 posts, read 8,860,532 times
I have favorite places scattered around the country, not favorite states.

I'm from coastal Massachusetts and own a summer home there. I'll retire there eventually. It's home. It's not perfect but everybody needs 'home'.

I used to live in Portsmouth, NH. Another favorite place.

I've been skiing Killington, Vermont for 35 years. I've owned property there for 25 years. It has lots of flaws but it's always been my place to escape to in the winter.

Places I've spent considerable time in that make the list:
Nashville
Denver
DC, Philly, NYC, Boston, San Francisco, San Diego
It's kind of hard to not like the French Quarter in New Orleans

Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 PM

7,454 posts, read 3,562,479 times
geographically..Arizona...
Utah..and Colorado have a pleasant appeal.

The weather has been the main factor in choosing these states.
Loved bar harbor in the fall..but not enough to consider Maine a contender.

Old 10-26-2017, 10:43 AM

565 posts, read 412,514 times
1) Maine - my home state has it all.
2)Wisconsin - my newly adopted state - 15,000 lakes and 2 great lakes.
3) Michigan - the UP provides an endless amount of places to explore

Old 10-26-2017, 11:51 AM

1,256 posts, read 597,325 times
#1. Michigan (home)
#2. Maine

Old 10-26-2017, 11:52 AM

1,256 posts, read 597,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
1) Maine - my home state has it all.
2)Wisconsin - my newly adopted state - 15,000 lakes and 2 great lakes.
3) Michigan - the UP provides an endless amount of places to explore
Just saw your post...we’re practically twins!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or