Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 11:54 AM

1,257 posts, read 887,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonySegaTendo617 View Post

Least favorite(no state has entirely disgusted me, but these states didn't jump out to me as much. DON'T take it personally against me, if I mentioned your state. this was TOUGH to name worst states, since even worser states usually have a handful of positive aspects about them):

Arkansas(probably need to visit the Ozarks to better appreciate this state), Alabama, Mississippi. And in a way, Nebraska. I wouldn't mind visiting the western part of the state near Scottsbluff, NE, since it always looked extremely nice in pictures! And since the parts of the state away from I-80, I suspect from street viewing parts of western Nebraska are probably nicer.
I live in Mississippi, and I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2017, 11:29 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
All the states I have visited or lived in have beautiful things to see and great things to do.

Texas for the diverse landscape as you travel from east to west. The east is green and gets dry as you go west. Love my mountains in El Paso. (Birth place)

Loved the northern part and the northern coast of California. Specifically the coastal road coming from the redwoods. Malibu, San Francisco and LA were interesting to visit.

Oregon, Portland area, green and damp but beautiful with the moss on trees reminded me of snow sticking to trees in the winter.

Pennsylvania. Someone mentioned the Chambersburg area...yeah, not much going for that part. You really should visit the Philadelphia area. So much history! Walk down streets that haven't changed since Benjamin Franklin and company traveled them. Not to mention going a few hours south, east or north and you can be in a totally different state or three!

NYC, what can I say! The city that never sleeps. So much energy! I love visiting and catching a show on Broadway or even off Broadway shows! Another place where you can find a lot of history. Ellis Island. Statue of Liberty. Love walking through Central Park but we still have yet to find the zoo. Granted we haven't looked for it specifically, just haven't run across it in our visits. Oh! NYC dressed for Christmas is amazing!!! Go skating in Rockefeller Center. So much fun with the city dressed in its Christmas clothes.

Virginia. Another state filled with history. The Fredricksburg area is a great place to start.

Michigan home of phenomenal orchards that make their own cider and donuts. A Michigander can tell you exactly where they are from by pointing to a spot on their hand. I should know, I was one for years! . A lot of Indian history is in Michigan. Most towns were named after tribes.

I don't understand the disparaging remarks about New Jersey. Yes it is smelly in Atlantic City but the rural parts are really very nice! Going from Pennsylvania into Jersey reminded me of parts of Michigan. The farm country and the pine trees. A lot of great vegetable stands. There are some really great beach towns once you get away from Atlantic City.

Delaware... Wilmington, the largest small town disguised as a city. My favorite dive bar was in North Wilmington.

Maryland the Chesapeake Bay Area. Great seafood if you like seafood. Beautiful waterways.

Arizona and the Grand Canyon. I've never felt so close to God than watching the sunset while sitting along the rim. Just amazing ! Every few feet seems to bring a different view and perspective. A helicopter tour is a must. You can spend days hiking around the rim, we did and totally enjoyed both the helicopter and hiking equally.

Hawaii. Totally captured my heart. Each island has its own personality. The lava flow and being able to walk right up to active flows...priceless. Hiking up Diamond Head: exhausting but we can say we did it!!! And survived the unbelievable amount of stairs at the end to get to the viewing area. Hiking down into a volcanic crater... outstanding. Like being on the surface of the moon at times. Zip lining across a gorge, WOW!!!! Whale watching in the winter and seeing them go under the boat you're in...no words to express the excitement.

Florida is where I now call home. I adore the weather from the humidity to the warmth. Suits me completely. I love the palms and my pool that I can use almost year round. The Savannas have nature trails you can hike or kayak in. Alligator tours on an airboat are a blast. Many great beaches and boating opportunities abound. The Keys are an adventure and you will find the beginning, or end depending on point of view, of Route 1 which travels all the way up the east coast to Maine. Someday I hope to get to the other end that is in Maine.

I've been to the Hoover Dam and have stood in two states. One foot in each. Someday I will get to where those four corner states are.

Las Vegas. Crazy place If you can't find something there to do, you're not looking very hard. Hotels are MUCH farther away than you think! The best time to walk is when it is dark out and everything is lit up! Much cooler too in the summer when it gets dark.

Each state I have lived in or visited has something to offer. There are still so many things I want to see. Yellowstone is pretty high on my list. Hopefully this year...

Oh, I forgot Savannah Georgia. Love the squares and the Spanish moss. Also forgot about New Orleans. The French Quarter has the most beautiful ironwork.

Old 11-01-2017, 12:15 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,930,903 times
I used to say Wisconsin, but the new wave of anti-intellectualism and regressiveness has changed that.

Now, Vermont.

Old 11-01-2017, 05:53 PM

2,230 posts, read 1,713,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tottsieanna View Post
California, grew up there, Hawaii, gorgeous, peaceful, Texas, always felt at home, North Carolina, beautiful and another state that I feel at home, Oklahoma, didn't like it at all but it grew on me. I guess I have to mention Missouri since I live here, I might like it better if I lived in a different town.
Oklahoma is the worst place I‘ve ever lived in my whole life.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:21 AM

7 posts, read 6,993 times
California is the place, I love the most because of the beautiful summers and as I am more of an entrepreneurial person, I like the silicon valley. Its a bit expensive to survive at times.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:12 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,642,254 times
Texas. Something for everyone, hill country, beaches, grasslands, cities, small towns.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:28 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,031,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
All the states I have visited or lived in have beautiful things to see and great things to do....I've been to the Hoover Dam and have stood in two states. One foot in each. Someday I will get to where those four corner states are.....
don't get fooled into thinking the Four Corners Monument is where those 4 states come together. For that you'll have to trudge off about 1/3 of a mile to the West to find. It's probably still marked with a crumpled empty can of Coors I left there.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-off-mark.html

proof is here on Google maps, you can see how they "bent" the north-south boundary...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-105.7820674

Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,488 posts, read 3,334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
don't get fooled into thinking the Four Corners Monument is where those 4 states come together. For that you'll have to trudge off about 1/3 of a mile to the West to find. It's probably still marked with a crumpled empty can of Coors I left there.

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-off-mark.html

proof is here on Google maps, you can see how they "bent" the north-south boundary...

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Co...4d-105.7820674
Thanks for the info!

Old 11-18-2017, 08:04 AM

3,102 posts, read 5,614,849 times
Alaska, Montana are beautiful states, because I love nature.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:27 AM

825 posts, read 864,103 times
I still need to go to at least one of the states. Sooner or later, one day i will.

For a first trip i'd like to go to Florida, California or New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel