Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 11:43 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,591,550 times

Advertisements

An air traffic controller at New York's Kennedy Airport is in hot water after he allowed his young son to radio instructions to several pilots.

Child Directed Traffic at JFK Airport, 2 Employees Put on Administrative Leave - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 06:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,549,639 times
I heard about this, and perused two forums - Airliners.net and an airline pilots forum as well. Honestly, the media has blown this WAY out of proportion. The boy was on the mic, yes, but his dad was right there with him and can also be heard talking to the pilots from the control tower. Under close supervision, was this really wrong? I can see how a lot of uninformed people will overreact, unfortunately. The general consensus among pilots is that the controller is great at his job, and most of them hope he'll still retain his position in the JFK control tower. You can make the argument that this was unprofessional, but it wasn't dangerous and no harm was done to anyone.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:59 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,344,644 times
well, considering the last major accident in NY airspace was more or less caused in part by an inattentive ATC, I can see why folks are overreacting. I think it was pretty unprofessional. not the place to bring young children along, IMO, even if no harm was done. IIRC, there was an incident years ago caused when a pilot let his kid into the cockpit and the kid turned the autopilot off or something and the plane crashed. kids shouldn't be messing around w/ planes at all, IMHO

Old 03-04-2010, 07:35 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,774 times
That was in Russia with a 16 year old kid flying with his dad. I'm surprised that Russian planes even get off the ground. They look like they are driven across Europe instead of flown.

I listened to the tapes. That kid talks just as clear as any controller that I have ever talked to. The pilots knew what was going on, and didn't have a problem with it. I really don't think it was that big of a deal, but our society is now one that instantly judges without truly having all of the details and nuances.
I've heard that he is a veteran controller that can do his job in his sleep. A small distraction would be nothing for him. Then there are other controllers that get all nerved up at the slightest glitch. They might have a problem with a kid.

I say give him a few days off without pay, and make it clear to everybody that this stuff doesn't happen anymore. Firing a good controller in his prime is counter-productive. That would be a total waste of skill.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:56 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,533,933 times
I'm with you, South Range Family! No foul in this case, IMHO. Slap his hand and move on.

We went on a group tour to St. Petersburg, Russia in 2000. The tour departed from/returned to Frankfurt, Germany on Lufthansa. We opted out of the extra trip to Moscow because we'd be flying Aeroflot...

Old 03-04-2010, 12:25 PM

867 posts, read 2,139,882 times
His dad was RIGHT there I agree with SandyCo the media makes it sound like his dad just said "Here son, you take over for a while" get the facts straight ppl (by ppl I mean mainly the media)

Old 03-04-2010, 05:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I don't anyone here realizes what Air-Traffic Controlling is like. My husband used to be one, and he about -hit his pants when he saw it on the news this morning.

It does not matter whether his father was right there. Air Traffic Controlling is VERY serious and risky, and had that child slipped with even a slight, he could have caused a fatality. In fact, I'm surprised he was even allowed to have a child in the tower (probably isn't supposed to). His father HAD to know the consequences involved in his stupidity, and I suspect that he will rightfully lose his job.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:15 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Why do people think its "cute" to allow their kids to do such things?

I work for a call center, we take telephone orders, you'd be surprised at the number of people who let their kids call in the order, while they're coaching them. Even with mom or dad "right there" many errors result due to the "tag teaming". I just refuse to process such orders, tell them an adult needs to place the order.

If Aa kid can't place an order for socks, we're expected to think its somehow cute and "ok" to direct air traffic? Get real!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:07 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,250 times
It was a supervised short exposure completely directed by the Dad.
If there would have been any chance of danger the guy wouldn't have done it (according to how everyone raves what an excellent employee he is IMO).
This type of thing happens in many professions once in a while.
There are too many people calling for his head, they will can his okole - too bad; he sounds like a great father.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:22 AM

2,458 posts, read 4,203,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
I don't anyone here realizes what Air-Traffic Controlling is like. My husband used to be one, and he about -hit his pants when he saw it on the news this morning.
That's probably because he realized how badly the media can spin a non-event into something sensational, especially when it's on a subject that most people have no clue about.

Quote:

It does not matter whether his father was right there. Air Traffic Controlling is VERY serious and risky, and had that child slipped with even a slight, he could have caused a fatality. In fact, I'm surprised he was even allowed to have a child in the tower (probably isn't supposed to). His father HAD to know the consequences involved in his stupidity, and I suspect that he will rightfully lose his job.
My wife is an air traffic controller.

This controller's error in judgement was that he failed to recognize the potential of letting his kid make a handful of transmissions being turned into a media circus. Do we pay controllers for their judgement in the interactions between aircraft, pilots, runway and sky, or do we pay them to anticipate when the media might find a story worthy of the front page? That and that alone should determine what "rightfully" happens in this case.

Nothing the kid said was safety critical, or even the least bit complex. It was exactly what the pilots would have expected to hear, and exactly when they would have expected to hear it. My wife is of the opinion that it's much scarier to be plugged in next to a manager or supervisor who thinks they know what they doing but is not very current or proficient, because they're making the critical decisions, not just doing rote repition of something their Dad has whispered in their ear.

Any speculation about how this might've endangered anyone is just histrionics...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel