Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The location is not that great for tourists. I wouldn't stay there personally, but then again, I have family in the area so I've never needed a hotel.
Really? I've never been to NY so I wouldn't know for sure. But they (Penn Hotel) are advertised as being 2 minutes walking distance from Macy's, and 5 minutes from Times Square.

Plus it's right near the Penn Station. Doesn't that go directly to the Newark Airport by subway or train? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:44 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Jeez people. I stay in Manhattan under $150 all the time, and in good areas. I have never used a travel site to book, but I always look at Trip Advisor. The last hotel I stayed at around 51st and Third was $80 per night. Granted, there was shared bathrooms and the room was the size of a prison cell, but it worked for me.

Thanks for the replys, but I have found a hotel with a private bathroom for $150 a night near Union Square.

Some people have extremely high standards.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:47 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,055,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Is there such a thing as cheap hotels in NYC ? crackhead motels- by the hour, roaches & rats included.

LOL!!!!
I suppose I should have wrote cheaper. I think all of the hourly places are gone now???

Old 03-06-2010, 12:04 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,983 times
I would be afraid to stay in NYC in a place anything less than 375.00 a night ... Thank GOD i live just across the river ...

I stayed at the Waldorf on business and it was 795.00 a night- OUCH ! Thank God for expense reports.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:19 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,548,139 times
Dr Earth -- come on now and loosen up a bit. Spend that extra $20 and you will get a private bath and larger room. We stayed 4 nights in May of 09 at the Courtyard by Marriott on Third Avenue and 53rd Street East. We payed $153 a night and it was very nice room with 2 queen beds on the 17th floor. Oxford Cafe just across the way for breakfast of lunch. Easy walk up to 59th street end of Central Park. We used public "bus" on 2nd Ave. to go to South Street Seaport. Coming back we used bus on 1st ave. Fun ferry ride "free" over to Staten Island.

An easy walk also over to TKTS in Times Square where in about 20 minute wait you can get tickets to Broadway Shows. We got 7th row Orchestra seats to Phantom of the Opera for half price.

Have a great time ! and a year from now you won't notice you paid a few extra bucks for a lovely room.

We booked ours right through the Marriott site on line.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:54 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Really? I've never been to NY so I wouldn't know for sure. But they (Penn Hotel) are advertised as being 2 minutes walking distance from Macy's, and 5 minutes from Times Square.

Plus it's right near the Penn Station. Doesn't that go directly to the Newark Airport by subway or train? Thanks.
You're about 10 blocks from Times Square, but Macy's is nearby. I can't imagine this hotel is cheap, and one I would highly recommend in Manhattan if you're willing to spend is the W in Union Square. Best location ever and you are about 3-4 blocks from the PATH station on 14th, which will take you to the airport in Newark. Since you've never been there, I'm sure you want to see Times Square and all that, and the subway is 2 blocks from this hotel and will take you directly to the center of Times Square. But, Union Square is a much better location and will allow you to see an area that most tourist miss. I lived in Jersey most of my life and spent lots of time in NYC. If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask!

There are no direct routes to EWR from Manhattan. If you go the Penn Station route, you have to transfer to the AirTrain in Newark and continue that way.

A much better (and cheaper) way to get to EWR from Manhattan is to take the PATH train. This website should answer all your questions regarding transportation between Manhattan and EWR.

"PATH / NJ Transit / Airtrain to Newark Airport – Cheapest Method
The least expensive way to reach Newark Airport is via the PATH subway/NJ Transit/Airtrain method. It’s a tricky route, but if cost is a factor, it can be done in about 90 minutes. From the 33 St./6 Ave. PATH station, you ride a PATH train to Journal Square, change there (across the platform) to a Newark train. From Newark Penn Station, take a NJ Transit train to the Newark Airport Train Station, and finally, transfer to a Newark Airport Airtrain to your terminal. Total cost of this method is $9.

PATH trains run every 15 minutes during the day on weekdays, every 30 minutes at night. On weekends, PATH trains run every 30 minutes, 24 hours a day. While PATH and the Newark Airport Airtrain run 24 hours a day, NJ Transit has no service to Newark Airport between 2 and 5AM. Remember that the NJ Transit ticket you purchase in Newark also covers your Airtrain fare, so hold on to it when you leave the NJ Transit train. Only NJ Transit trains showing “EWR” on the departure board will stop at Newark Airport.

Another Rail Option To Newark Airport
Newark Airport is also accessible using the NJ Transit/Airtrain method. From New York’s Penn Station, NJ Transit trains follow the same route as Amtrak trains to Newark Airport. They take slightly longer than Amtrak trains (30 minutes) to make the trip, but they are cheaper. NJ Transit offers a combined NJ Transit/Airtrain ticket for $12.50. All NJ Transit trains that show “EWR” on the departure boards will stop at Newark Airport Train Station. There, you’ll transfer to the Newark Airport Airtrain to reach your terminal. NJ Transit trains to Newark Airport run hourly from 5 to 6AM and midnight to 2AM. During the day and evening, service runs every half hour. There is no NJ Transit service from New York to Newark Airport between 2 and 5AM."

Directions to Newark Airport - How to Get To Newark Airport from New York City

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEarth View Post
Priceline is the site where you don't know the hotel you are bidding on? I don't like that concept. I want to know the exact hotel I will be staying at...it may be 3 stars and a good price, then I buy it and I read 100 horrible reviews about the hotel. No thanks. Can you book ahead of time on that site?

I suppose I will have to force my cheap self to shell out the extra cash!
I know someone that just scored the Intercontinental in Midtown for $144/night on Priceline. Can't beat that!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:37 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,865,381 times
MAK802, thanks for the info. I'll research that more.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,385,284 times
You could also stay in hotels in Queens just across the East River in the Long Island City area which have subway access and are a short ride subway ride into the city.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

288 posts, read 851,686 times
Aren't there some decent hostels these days? Oh, GF wants a private bathroom ... too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel