Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

I have not flown that often. A few years ago, on my last trip, we had a stop at a connecting city that was supposed to last a couple of hours. As soon as we got there, my uncle walked up to a TV monitor showing the flight info, and said that we didn't have that long, less than an hour. Apparently our flight got replaced by an earlier one. We walked very fast to get there.

I am afraid that if I had been alone I would have missed that and taken my time getting to the gate (a different one) that I thought was with plenty of waiting time.

Is it standard to check that as soon as you arrive at the connecting airport? I know this may sound like a dumb question. But I can remember doing a lot of research prior to the trip, stuff about air travel tips. I don't remember seeing anything about that.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 01:48 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
In general it is a good idea as soon as you get off the plane to check the departure board to see what the status of your continuing flight is and where exactly is the departure gate.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
I have never heard of a flight being replaced by an earlier flight and really its not possible on a connecting flight since you are already checked into the orginal flight etc.. You sure your plane wasnt late? Or you thought the wrong time.

When ever I connect I always check a departure board ASAP for the reason that I want to know if the flight is on time (do I have to get to the gate right away or can I relax a little bit) and what gate the flight is leaving from. So yes it is very normal to check the board as soon as you can to know how much time you have.

Old 03-17-2010, 07:03 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I always check once I get off the plane because gate assignments change like the wind. Never go to the gate it shows on your boarding pass without checking first.
Assigned to an earlier flight, hmmm, pretty rare but it can happen.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times
Well, I can't say for certain that it was an earlier flight. But I remember it that way for some reason. I would hope that it's a rare thing.

Old 03-18-2010, 07:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Pretty unusual I would think. Most airlines will announce the gate numbers for connecting flights just before you land (on domestic flights at least) but I agree it's always a good idea to check those departure monitors just in case something's been changed. You don't want to end up walking all over the airport trying to find the right gate.

Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
Maybe instead of the flight time changing the gate changed from one very close to your arrival gate to one at the other side of the airport. Some airports can take quite some time to get from the far end of the furthest terminal to the far end of the furthest terminal at the other end. Philly, Pheonix, Atlanta, JFK, DTW, Dulles, and Minneapolis all come to mind in that respect.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:16 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I have never heard of a flight being replaced by an earlier flight and really its not possible on a connecting flight since you are already checked into the orginal flight etc.. You sure your plane wasnt late? Or you thought the wrong time.

When ever I connect I always check a departure board ASAP for the reason that I want to know if the flight is on time (do I have to get to the gate right away or can I relax a little bit) and what gate the flight is leaving from. So yes it is very normal to check the board as soon as you can to know how much time you have.
The only time that I had a flight was replaced by an earlier one was when I flew internationally and I got off the international flight to find out that my original connecting flight had been canceled and I had to rush to make the earlier flight.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:11 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Is it standard to check that as soon as you arrive at the connecting airport?
Although replacing a flight for an earlier one is unusual, the first thing I do when I land anywhere and have a connection is check the board. Religiously. Also important to set your watch to the local time zone as the plane is landing - I've been momentarily freaked out a couple of times thinking I was about to miss a connection and the problem was my watch!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:31 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,520 times
As soon as you get off your flight, head to the board and find out about your connection. That's just a rule.

Perhaps in your situation, there was a time change? I used to live in Arizona and was a flight attendant. I remember a lot of people being confused because Arizona doesn't observe daylight savings time.

It's rare for a flight to leave significantly early. Remember that just because you are connecting doesn't mean that everyone else is. For a flight to leave early, people coming from their jobs or homes would have to be notified too. The only time a flight of mine has left early was when everyone with a reservation was on board, and even then, it was only about 10 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel