Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 PM

3 posts, read 13,230 times

Advertisements

Looking for Socially Conscious Adventurers

I want to go on a great adventure by bicycle across South Asia. I also want to make a difference somehow in this world where there are so many people living under awful conditions. I know that with the right group of like-minded people we can make this journey to raise funds for children living in poverty in South Asia. I am looking for motivated adventurers to be my partners in this, people who care about doing something positive in this world, and also love to bike (it’s a long way people). Anyone is welcome to join, and there are also some specific skills I am looking for in a few people: camera person, bicycle technician, and computer savvy individuals. The people already involved are passionate, fun, sweet, creative, and real adventurous.

I would love to hear from anyone who has an interest in this idea, to organize a meeting and do some brainstorming.

Last edited by golfgal; 06-05-2007 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: use PM for contacts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 05:57 PM

I am located in Vancouver BC. Sorry i left that out!!
thanks
Juli

Old 06-04-2007, 08:18 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,038,208 times
Great idea but you are braver than me!

Old 06-04-2007, 08:37 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,982,664 times
I hope you post pix and a blog...
Im a bicycle freak but I want to do
Ireland-Europe for my big adventure.

Be safe !

Old 06-09-2007, 02:33 PM

5,765 posts, read 11,376,630 times
If you can find this book in print somewhere, read it before your trip. An incredible story that will help you prepare for your journey. I pasted this from a description of the book I found on a different website, these are not my words:

Crane, Richard & Nicholas :: Journey to the Centre of the Earth
Impeccable minimalism in the Crane cousins' choice of equipment, pared down prose in diary entries from each of them for each day, and an awesome challenge as they rode flat out from the coast of Bangladesh, through India and Nepal, up over the Himalayas, across the Tibetan plateau to Lhasa, and through the Gobi Desert, until they reached a remote north-west corner of China (near the border with Russia), the spot most remote from open sea in every direction. A total of 3,313 miles in 58 days provide plenty of opportunities for adventure and a real test of their stamina & survival skills.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:40 AM

422 posts, read 759,073 times
Have you ever been to India before? It's not Europe. People don't ride bicycles around the country. This is not something I would advise.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:49 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,122,816 times
I was thinking this too. I've only been to one city in India, but I can't imagine riding a bike through the country--and I'd call myself on the +adventureous side.

Not only do I think it can be more dangerous than several other locales, it is not necessarily bike-friendly (roads, highways, places to rest between stops, etc).

Perhaps the recommended book will be helpful in making an informed decision.

Good luck in whatever choice you make!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
Have you ever been to India before? It's not Europe. People don't ride bicycles around the country. This is not something I would advise.

Old 06-19-2007, 10:35 AM

Default thanks everyone !!

Wow,
Thanks for all of the information. That book one of you recommended looks really interesting!! I have spent 6 months in India and I know the road conditions can be rough. This is for sure going to be a tough journey, but I know a number of people who have already done it, so not impossible.
thanks again
juli

Old 06-19-2007, 11:16 AM

Have a wonderful trip, and if you remember and do take photographs, it would be a pleasure to see them!

Old 06-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Just a postscript if you come back before you leave: I just spoke to a friend who visits India regularly and is Indian, and she seems to think you'll be more than fine on a bike trip. I was pleased to hear that and wanted to share it with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel