Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 11:32 AM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,546 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I have a question about transporting pets, and was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with intercontinental moving with animals. I'm researching job opportunities in Austria now, but whether or not I can take my dog is a make-or-break deal. I already have the information I need of what he'll need prior to the move, so I'm mainly interested only in the actual transit part. However, if anyone has moved from the US to Europe or vice versa, I'd be interested in hearing any insight about what awaits on the other side.

The move wouldn't be until at least February of 2013. I'm a little hesitant to board him with the airline, and I'm trying to explore other options. I've looked into some pet shipping companies, but I'm curious as to whether or not anyone has any recommendations. I'm seriously considering having him sent a week or two after I arrive, just because I would already have tons of luggage with me and dealing with him would be a hassle. I could still bring him with me on the initial flight over there if I could get some assistance at the airport, but I would be more comfortable if he were in the cabin and not the cargo hold. Unfortunately, I don't think the airline would allow that, because he's probably too big (Boston terrier/pug mix: about as tall as a Boston terrier, but as sturdy as a pug.)

Any information would be appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 05-28-2012 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: moved to Travel Forum at OP's request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 12:47 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Have you thought about taking a ship? I don't know what that would entail but it might be worth looking into.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:57 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,506,283 times
I don't have any experience with the issue personally but I did once fly from Sweden to Chicago and on the plane was a family with a little Poodle mix, about the size of your dog. He rode in the cabin with a diaper on. He was on a leash, not in a carrier. This was Scandinavian Airlines (SAS) and they may very well fly to Austria or nearby. I'd check them out since they seem to have pretty liberal rules regarding transporting pets.
A lot of airlines will allow pets under 25 pounds to ride in the cabin. I would not want my dog to fly that far in the cargo space. It must be terrifying and very cold.

Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,603,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Have you thought about taking a ship? I don't know what that would entail but it might be worth looking into.
Oh what a good idea - I just did some googling and it looks like you can take your dog on the Queen Mary 2 (and only the Queen Mary 2). Here's one person's experience...I'd totally do this. OP if you do it call them right away because I read it fills up way in advance.

Queen Mary 2 Kennels: Embarkation | The Road Unleashed

Old 05-27-2012, 01:00 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Years ago when we took the QEII from NYC to France, people had their dogs with them and would go visit them several times per day. There was an onboard kennel for the pets.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:30 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
Thank you all for the responses. I will look into the Queen Mary, so long as it avoids the UK. Nothing against the UK, but I heard their immigration with animals is strict. I should add that I looked into a freighter, but didn't think that was a good idea. Apparently cargo ships don't have stabilizers and can get whipped around on rough seas. The biggest disadvantage I heard regarding sea travel is the time it takes to get there. That may be inconsequential though, because an employer there would have to give me a little extra time to move under circumstances. I will look into that option, but also have to see what Eurail regulations are with dogs, because I would have to get from a port and into Austria.

I'll also look into numerous carriers to see how strict they are, because my dog is kind of small, though he weighs about 40 lbs. From where I am, there's just no getting around an airport connection (or in my case, quite possibly two connections) because Vienna's airport is pretty small and less trafficked in comparison to Heathrow, Charles de Gaulle, Schipol and Frankfurt.

Old 05-28-2012, 01:27 AM

I looked more into transatlantic cruises, and found one that goes from New York into Hamburg, which would be a good option, because I could take the Eurail to Austria. The only real problem with that option is that the schedules are pretty restricted.

My nearest major airport is DFW, which is about three hours away by car, and I looked into carriers that I could use without having to change airlines (solely to have uniform rules) as I would be willing to buy a seat for my dog if the airline would allow that. I found seven options, but had to cross Lufthansa off the list because they would require that he go under the seat on take off and landing, and a kennel for him would just be too big for that. I started to go down the list, but was on hold with Air Canada for too long and had to hang up because I had to get some work done. I'll try the airlines again tomorrow to see if any allow that.

Trying to think outside the box: I was thinking about contacting the American Kennel Club or the local zoo to see if they have any recommendations on airlines transporting animals. I also wanted to call Pet Airways, but their offices were closed today. Their site suggests they don't leave the country, but I won't know for sure until they open.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:55 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Flying is fast and it's more stressful for the people than it is for the dog.
I import and export dogs all around the world.

Get a hold of the Austria consulate and ask what the requirements to import your dog to Austria.

Most require a rabies vac cert.
A word of advice if it is about to expire you may want to wait as they may restrict your travel for 3mo after the shot is administered even if it is a booster.

Next, you will need a international health cert from a Vet.
It's a simple cheek up, but it's timing before your flight can vary. IE Germany requires that the health cert he administered just 24hr before the flight.

You will need to go to the USDA aphis to have your paper work signed off on.
Fallow the instructions to the letter or they will not singe off right down to the color of the ink in your pen (don't use black ink)(use blue only)
Call them to set up a appointment time. Usually just before you depart as you will be bringing them the health cert and your rabies cert

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,021,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
A lot of airlines will allow pets under 25 pounds to ride in the cabin.
Unfortunately, that's not true, as we found out when we relocated from D.C. to Las Vegas a couple of years ago. We have a small cocker spaniel (about 22-23 pounds) and there wasn't one airline that would allow a dog that size in the cabin. A dog has to fit in a carrier that is small enough to fit under the seat in front of you. And the dog has to have room in that small carrier to be able to turn around and lie down. IOW, a very small dog. And even that only applies to airlines that allow any dogs whatsoever in the cabin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
I would not want my dog to fly that far in the cargo space. It must be terrifying and very cold.
Fortunately, you're wrong there, too. The pet transport area is pressurized and climate-controlled.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:25 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Now that your wondering how to do this all on your own.
Relax.

We use, G.K. Airfreight Services, www-petshipping.com

They go the extra mile for you and your pet.

You will still need to drop your dog off at the air cargo dock and some do ship right from the same terminal as people. some.
The Co I listed above will take care of the details and all you do is sign the papers. chances are that your pet will be in the animal hold on the same flight as you are on. Find out where you will be picking your dog up at befor you leave. some you will have to once again go to the air cargo dock while some will have you pick up your dog at the luggage carousel.

It's more traumatic for the dog owner than it is for the dog.

Last edited by snofarmer; 05-28-2012 at 08:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel