Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you ever travel to North Dakota?
Yes, I know exactly where I'm going to go. 5 17.86%
Yes, I'm going but really don't know what I'm going to see. 11 39.29%
No, There is nothing there for me. 4 14.29%
No, I have no idea what there is to see in North Dakota. 5 17.86%
Maybe (please discuss details below) 3 10.71%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 03:08 AM

20 posts, read 50,207 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious to see how many people are interested in North Dakota as a travel destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:37 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
None of the answers fit me. I went to Bismarck a few months ago for one night and wished my flight home was earlier. That is the first city ever where we went to the airport really early, because we'd rather sit there for 4 hours than endure any more of that city.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:14 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
None of the answers really fit me either. If you had put a "I have traveled to North Dakota and loved it" or "I have traveled to North Dakota and hated it" then I'd have a choice. (I loved it.)

Old 03-16-2010, 10:22 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,973,579 times
Yes, i love the beach and i'm all up into the Caribbean right now, but id love to take a camping trip through Minn and the Dakotas one day.

G Man

Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
If you've ever wanted to fill and position sand bags now would be an EXCELLENT time to vist NoDak!

Old 03-16-2010, 10:54 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
I have no present travel plans, but I love North Dakota. I think it is America's best-kept travel secret.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:49 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnynadeau View Post
I'm just curious to see how many people are interested in North Dakota as a travel destination.
What are the top five attractions in North Dakota?

Old 03-16-2010, 03:47 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times
I put maybe, because you never know. I would MAYBE go there for camping when/if my kids get into camping, but I really have a bunch of other options before I would go there. Maybe Ted Roosy Natl Park. Maybe I would go if it had the Corn Palace...haha.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:31 PM

20 posts, read 50,207 times
Thanks for the sarcasm everyone, and seriously, thanks for those that are serious about this. North Dakota is more of a family destination. I would name 5 travel destinations in ND in order from western to eastern if you were coming from that direction:

#1: Roosevelt National Park. Here you will find many native plants and some of the most beautiful scenery.

#2: Fort Abraham Lincoln. Here you can find some cultural background of the Mandan American Indians, the trails here are short but scenic.

#3: Fort Mandan. Here is one of Lewis & Clark's forts on their journey.

#4: Geographical Center of North America. This is really just a monument but it is kind of neat.

#5: International Peace Gardens. This is an excellent place to take the family and have a picnic. It straddles the border between the US and Canada. Miles upon miles (kilometers upon kilometers) of trails to explore and numerous places to stop and enjoy nature.

There are places all along this trip that you may stop to relax or camp.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:25 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,535,238 times
Jonnynadeau, my sincere apologies. Actually, I've enjoyed my visits to ND. Although sightseeing just isn't possible while dragging around a 53' van trailer, I enjoyed what I saw from the highways and found the residents quite friendly. Maybe I should've elaborated above that I was referring to the coming flood waters and that our ND neighbors wouldn't mind some help.

Quick story: I had to swap loads with another one of our drivers to get him home. We were to do the swap at a cafe/truck stop West of Mandan on I-94. It was January and the lakes were all frozen. Before I got to the cafe, I passed the Central/Mountain time zone boundary sign, which happened to run right through the middle of a small lake. As I waited for the other driver, I struck up a conversation with the local on the next stool. I commented on how I noticed that the two men ice fishing on the lake were getting an extra hour of fishing in since they were West of the sign. He explained to me how the time zone boundary once ran down the middle of the Missouri River between Mandan & Bismarck. Well, folks in both cities wanted it moved from between them since so much business is conducted back & forth. So now it comes down along county lines and passes through that lake I passed. I learned some pretty neat things about our country that way!

One day, I really WOULD love to see more of the Dakotas. I believe there's plenty to see and do in ND!

Last edited by Crew Chief; 03-18-2010 at 11:41 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel