Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2010, 05:46 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,185,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Some of the most disappointing places I've visited is where my expectations grew wildly out of proportion, from reading all the great raves about a certain place, seeing all the pictures. The longer I waited to finally see these particular places, I was oftentimes letdown when I finally visited there.
And, God forbid, if you should arrive there on a rainy day or it's cold, cloudy and windy. That happened to me when I first went to Rome, Paris, Amsterdam and London.

Yet, at the same time, I've stumbled upon cities, areas where I hadn't researched, perhaps read of very bad reviews of the place, or just went there out of curiosity, and was bowled over. Eamples: Kathmandu, Tegucigalpa, Honduras, La Paz, Bolivia.

Even if you went to San Francisco the first time, and you picked a time when it was unusually rainy, cloudy, cold, you might very well change your flight reservations and hightail it out of there, never to return.

Glad you mentioned how much weather can affect ones preception of a city.

I found that out when checking out places for retirement/relocation in the south ( US)

I would take notes and rate them, then realized they were getting a lower grade because the weather on the 2 days we were there wasn't the greatest.

Maybe not for everyone, but for me the weather can affect my perception.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2010, 07:26 PM

95 posts, read 393,778 times
Southern California - including LA, Hollywood and Orange County.

Old 04-16-2010, 08:45 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane View Post
[quote=KevK;13712025]For me it was Raleigh North Carolina. It sucks.

KevK, did you visit the N.C. Science Museum, beside the state capitol in Raleigh? It's considered the best science museum in the southeast, and has free admission, and free parking. The Raleigh-Durham metro area is one of the highest-educated in the USA. The suburb of Cary, NC is headquarters to the nation's largest privately-owned software company (SAS), has a high quality of life, and had its own special article in National Geographic magazine, several years ago.
No. Went there for a job interview. The town had no character, nothing to do- not even what you would call a downtown there. It just bored me and I was glad to get the hell outta there. I have been other places in NC that are much nicer.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:47 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,019 times
Miami.

I had visions of all of these pastel buildings, beautiful people, tropical plants everywhere and being able to walk for miles along the beach.

The reality was that it was full of strip malls, homeless people, very old people with skin that could be used as a cautionary tale for sunscreen, and a few pastel buildings. We were there for 4 days and after our first night of "clubbing", we started looking forward to going home. There were lots of fights, the streets felt dangerous, the traffic was insane, there was so much cocaine being done in the bathrooms it was alarming. We finally checked out early and went to the Keys and it made up for our disappointment in Miami.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:57 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
Miami.

I had visions of all of these pastel buildings, beautiful people, tropical plants everywhere and being able to walk for miles along the beach.

The reality was that it was full of strip malls, homeless people, very old people with skin that could be used as a cautionary tale for sunscreen, and a few pastel buildings. We were there for 4 days and after our first night of "clubbing", we started looking forward to going home. There were lots of fights, the streets felt dangerous, the traffic was insane, there was so much cocaine being done in the bathrooms it was alarming. We finally checked out early and went to the Keys and it made up for our disappointment in Miami.
You must have been in Miami proper. Next time go to Miami Beach.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:02 PM

2,212 posts, read 5,152,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You must have been in Miami proper. Next time go to Miami Beach.
No...we spent a fortune to stay in Miami Beach. There were the pastel buildings...but only a few of them (the ones that are the most photographed) and everything else was strip malls which I could have seen anywhere in the USA. They did have good food there, however...some of the restaurants were amazing (and VERY expensive).

It was when I was 26...it was for a girl's weekend/wedding (not a bachelorette party) and my friends and I were so excited. The beaches were pretty and the water was amazing (we lived in Washington State) but the visions I had of the area were not what it was like in reality. On a high note, we DID see a fashion shoot on the beach, so it did kind of live up to the "beautiful people" idea, but then of course, all along the beach AWAY from the beautiful people, there were obscenely fat people in thongs, lots of wrinkly, overly-tanned old folks, and way too many steroid dudes in thongs rollerblading.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:18 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,784,077 times
Most depressing place I have visited was Miami airport...horrible, it's more like a jail than an airport, they need to tear that place down and start fresh.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:32 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,325,713 times
St Joseph's, Missouri..I was 17 and eager to see a 'real' American city..it was Sunday, raining.. I started at the greyhound bus station and was harrassed by some dude with a cowboyhat who wanted to get a room for the afternoon...after losing him and spending about 2-3 hours of finding out there's nothing to do in St Joe's on a dreary Sunday, I hightailed it out of there on the next bus.....there are other places I saw on that 6 week trip through the US that left a similar bad taste though but St Joe's, I never forgot..It really ranks up there on my negative list
rain and being harrassed by some horny local has a lot to do with it but sometimes the feel of a place is just not good...

Old 04-19-2010, 09:23 AM

1,975 posts, read 5,211,391 times
Places that I though were disappointing:
Phoenix
Albuquerque
Every city in North Carolina except Ashville
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
No...we spent a fortune to stay in Miami Beach. There were the pastel buildings...but only a few of them (the ones that are the most photographed) and everything else was strip malls which I could have seen anywhere in the USA. They did have good food there, however...some of the restaurants were amazing (and VERY expensive).
Strip Malls in Miami Beach? That is not the case. Miami Beach is urban and pedestrian friendly, at least in South Beach where all the tourists go. Everywhere you need to go as a tourist is pretty much on Collins, Ocean, Washington or Lincoln. Although I can see how the atmosphere would be a turn-off to some. Now with the rest of Miami I agree with you - lots of stip malls and run down communities down there.

Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM

897 posts, read 1,688,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There was a bad drought that year. I amd heading there nest week and there should be no shortage oof water with all the flooding.

Ruby Falls in Chattanooga,Highly overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel