Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 03:34 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
We don't travel very much.

But Blowing Rock, NC. Its nothing but a big rock at the edge of a small mountain.

But it has a wicked ride down 321, at least until you hit the 4-lane section. Blowing Rock and Boone - I preferred those towns before the routes getting up to them were improved.

I agree with those who are dismissive of Raleigh and Charlotte. The slogans for those towns are "nice place to live, but no one wants to visit." Cary is known by its acronym Containment Area for Relocated Yankees ; both cities are known for their economic improvement of the state, with cultural activities being added afterward. For history, I prefer poking around Winston-Salem - Bethabara, Old Salem ... we take our bicycles up there on a Sunday and ride around.

A better way to see NC is to get a State Road or topographical map and explore the western side. The interstate takes you to Asheville, but the back roads take you to places like Hot Springs, Spruce Pine, Laurel Springs ... hole in the wall spots where I'd rather spend my day than the cities. Friendly people, real food and awesome scenery. Seen best from the seat of a motorcycle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2012, 01:23 AM

1 posts, read 1,848 times
I haven't travel to Italy but planning for it now i leave after 1 month with my wife the best place we have traveled yet is Egypt a nice country with plenty of Sites.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:28 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The very first place that pops into my head is Omaha, Nebraska. Never, ever, ever again. Ever. Granted, I had no expectations but it managed to leave a very bitter impression!
Didn't you see the giant corn statue outside of town?
It's a stunner!

Old 01-07-2012, 02:25 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The very first place that pops into my head is Omaha, Nebraska. Never, ever, ever again. Ever. Granted, I had no expectations but it managed to leave a very bitter impression!
The only place I've been in Omaha is the Henry Doorly Zoo and I think that is one of the nicest I've visited. The only place I can think of that was a bit of a disappointment was Amsterdam. It was very polluted and sleazy, although I am willing to give it one more chance since I didn't get to see a lot of it.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:40 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
I travelled in to Trieste, Italy, by bus, got off at the bus station and caught the next bus out, 30 minutes later. I'd always thought the place had such an interesting history that I really wanted to go there but what a letdown!

I'm sure that if I'd stopped there for a few days I could have found plenty of interest but sometimes first impressions count

Trieste, Italy looks like one of those Italian cities that was bombed pretty heavily during the war and then rebuilt 1950s style. Nothing much they can do about that.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:46 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joliefille View Post
Boston area. We couldn't get out of there fast enough! Thought Salem was a low rent, Disneyesque tourist trap and Providence, R.I was a pit.
You just need to know where to go! Comm Ave, Newbury St., the North End, Beacon Hill... all beautiful historic places. Providence has a great little Italy. Old cities are confusing and I think a lot of first time visitors get turned around by the narrow lanes and unmarked streets. Try it again with a GPS.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:01 AM

611 posts, read 1,456,066 times
Atlanta - Everyone raves about it, but I am never impressed when I stop over there.
NYC- Ugh. I was expecting more from the subways, some sort of magical expereience IDK. I actually prefer the METRO in DC. I am a country girl from the South and the NYC hype from two decades of movie watching was not lived up to!

Cities I was suprised to find myself liking: Cincinnati and Minneapolis.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:24 AM

476 posts, read 1,134,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post
NYC- Ugh. I was expecting more from the subways, some sort of magical expereience IDK. I actually prefer the METRO in DC. I am a country girl from the South and the NYC hype from two decades of movie watching was not lived up to!
Since when is public transportation the apex of one's travel experience? NYC totally lives up to "the hype"; you did it wrong. Probably spent too much time riding the subway to Times Square & posing with the naked cowboy. Not enough time at the Met, MoMa, Central Park, Broadway, world class restaurants, and culturally rich ethic 'hoods (Chinatown, Bay Ridge/Bensonhurst - Little Italy, Richmond Hill - Russian, Brighton - Caribbean, Spanish Harlem).
Or, maybe you just don't appreciate NYC. Not everyone does.

I was disappointed in Quito Ecuador. Mostly I found it filthy and unattractive with limited entertainment options and lackluster cuisine.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,789 times
I thought riding the subway in NYC was cool totally looked like the movies heheh

Old 01-30-2012, 11:37 AM

487 posts, read 891,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duttygal86 View Post

I agree. I think NYC is really overrated. Probably because people from NYC won't stop going on about 'the city'. It's a bit provincial and not as cosmopolitan as other world cities, like London or Paris.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel