Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:54 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Of course some people have unique circumstances. With you, your health come first. Carry the food you need with you, by all means. Maybe send your cameras/electronics ahead via UPS or Fed EX? I don't have all the answers, but get creative and think ahead.
You can't be serious! Ship your camera and electronics? To where? A hotel? Or leave them in your checked bag so the baggage handlers can steal them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 08:08 AM

1,853 posts, read 9,687,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannaCT View Post
Also, to the original poster... I'm confused when you say that one of your new responsibilities is cleaning out the seat pockets and that you 'dont get paid' for it. If you have a responsibility at work, you're paid for it- surely they dont ask you to come in on your day off to do it. Just because you don't want to do it and have never had to do it previously, doesn't mean you don't get paid for it. Do you want $1 per seat or something? That statement was confusing to me.
The original poster is a flight attendant. Flight attendants only get paid while they are in the air. It wasn't too long ago that the flight would land, and they would get off the plane with the passengers. Since we have fired all of the cleaners, she is now required to stay behind and clean the plane before she leaves. She still only gets paid for time in the air, hence working for free.

Revelated
The airlines have nothing to do with bag checks. That bag was searched by the TSA. They are Government employees. The same people that are bringing you Government health care. Take it up with them.

Yankinscotland
See above. It's not the baggage handlers stealing your stuff. It's the TSA.

To everybody else
The three most common ways bags get lost....

1) Bag carts are pulled in trains. Bags sometimes fall off somewhere on airport property. Most of the time you will get lucky, and an airport employee will get the bag to the right people.

2) Under the airport is a high speed conveyor belt system that is miles long. The belt system serves every airline at the airport. Sometimes a large bag gets caught up in the workings, and bags get jammed up behind it. It totally screws up the whole system, and somebody has to go pick through the mess. Your plane has already left, but your bag will eventually find you.

3) You were a total jerk at the check in counter. You had that person so PO'd that they purposely put the wrong city tag on your bag. Will you ever get that bag back? It depends on how big of a jerk you were. Good luck with that.

Last edited by South Range Family; 04-12-2010 at 08:47 AM..

Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
The original poster is a flight attendant. Flight attendants only get paid while they are in the air. It wasn't too long ago that the flight would land, and they would get off the plane with the passengers. Since we have fired all of the cleaners, she is now required to stay behind and clean the plane before she leaves. She still only gets paid for time in the air, hence working for free.

3) You were a total jerk at the check in counter. You had that person so PO'd that they purposely put the wrong city tag on your bag. Will you ever get that bag back? It depends on how big of a jerk you were. Good luck with that.
Back in the 70's when they were all female and called stewardesses, I was friendly with a couple flight attendants. Even back then they could get stuck cleaning up the cabin.
heh
I like to think that I am a nice person at check-in anyway, but I do know the code of my destination, and if I am stuck checking a bag, I do look at the tag before it leaves my sight. I know routing problems can happen; I'd just as soon not have my backpack tangled up in them.

I don't expect air travel to return to the glory days; I certainly do not want it to be a situation where only the wealthy are able to fly.
No doubt things would be better if we all (including the airline CEOs) tried to adhere to the Golden Rule.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
We normally book seats in the back of the plane. I'm not talking about people taking their time getting their stuff. I'm talking about everyone jumping up just to stand there for 15 minutes while the doors are opened and the people up front get off.
I've never understood that either. So many people leap up the minute the Fasten Seatbelt sign goes off and then they all stand there for god knows how long waiting for the doors to open. I'm sure it's some kind of "If I'm standing up first then I'll get off first," attitude which makes sense if you're in row 1 but not in row 36 ! If I'm in the window seat and I don't have a connection, I just sit there and let everyone race off the plane ahead of me. It's going to take forever for the luggage to arrive on the carousel anyway so why rush to get there?

As far as bags are concerned, I take ONE bag on board: a tote into which I fit my handbag (with money, passport, boarding pass, etc), my books, my drink, my jacket or sweater and spare pair of socks. It all goes thro Security in one go and it fits under the seat in front of me so I also have a footrest.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:09 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
You can't be serious! Ship your camera and electronics? To where? A hotel? Or leave them in your checked bag so the baggage handlers can steal them?
Well, the computer I'm using right now was shipped to me from the Mac folks and it arrived just fine. And yes, ship them to a hotel. Why not? People do it every day.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:41 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Well, the computer I'm using right now was shipped to me from the Mac folks and it arrived just fine. And yes, ship them to a hotel. Why not? People do it every day.
Really?! I've never heard of anyone doing that. I use my laptop and my ipod on the flight. Don't use the camera but I'd never ship it anywhere. Why would I? I have no problem carrying a backpack with this stuff and a small bag with my water and other stuff I need in flight.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:52 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,354,957 times
Quote:
Really?! I've never heard of anyone doing that. I use my laptop and my ipod on the flight. Don't use the camera but I'd never ship it anywhere. Why would I? I have no problem carrying a backpack with this stuff and a small bag with my water and other stuff I need in flight.
If it works for you, then go for it!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:01 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,922,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I've never understood that either. So many people leap up the minute the Fasten Seatbelt sign goes off and then they all stand there for god knows how long waiting for the doors to open. I'm sure it's some kind of "If I'm standing up first then I'll get off first," attitude which makes sense if you're in row 1 but not in row 36 ! If I'm in the window seat and I don't have a connection, I just sit there and let everyone race off the plane ahead of me. It's going to take forever for the luggage to arrive on the carousel anyway so why rush to get there?

As far as bags are concerned, I take ONE bag on board: a tote into which I fit my handbag (with money, passport, boarding pass, etc), my books, my drink, my jacket or sweater and spare pair of socks. It all goes thro Security in one go and it fits under the seat in front of me so I also have a footrest.
I'm with you there, but my husband has a bad hip and sitting on airplanes makes it worse - he's one of the people that jumps up as soon as possible, not because he's going anywhere faster, just because it relieves the pressure on his hip. What bugs me is when people behind you stand up and then try to get in front of you. Obviously with 5-6 seats across, not everyone can fit in the aisle! It would be interesting if everyone stayed seated until it was time for their row to exit.

Old 04-12-2010, 03:59 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,689,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I'm with you there, but my husband has a bad hip and sitting on airplanes makes it worse - he's one of the people that jumps up as soon as possible, not because he's going anywhere faster, just because it relieves the pressure on his hip. What bugs me is when people behind you stand up and then try to get in front of you. Obviously with 5-6 seats across, not everyone can fit in the aisle! It would be interesting if everyone stayed seated until it was time for their row to exit.
As per my earlier post I am one of those people. Polio in my right leg as a child. Flying on planes and riding in buses is pure Hell.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:15 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

oh boy, this reminds me of a flight I took last July. I was seated in the last row and so had my carry on back there. half way through the flight, there's a medical emergency and the person had to be brought to the back where the medical supplies were. so I got moved to an empty middle seat about 5 rows up and as there until the flight ended. the little light goes off and the guy sitting next to me in the window seat jumps up and is practically shoving me to move. well, it took about 10 seconds for me to turn on him and flip out and tell him to be freaking patient, that there was a medical emergency and so I needed to wait for the aisle to clear out a bit before I can make my way back to my bag. seriously, this guy was shoving me, as if I'm supposed to stand up on my seat to let him pass. aisle as crowded so where was I going to go anyways? thankfully, someone sitting in the aisle across from me got my bag down and it was passed forward along w/ another person's bag that was back there. probably unlikely to ever happen again, but it really aggravates me how impatient people are. if you have a connecting flight, you need to book them far enough apart. otherwise, sit your butt down and wait your turn!

as for carry on, I refuse to check a bag. sorry, have heard way too many horror stories about lost bag and stolen items and my trips are too short and precious to deal w/ the BS. as for shipping it ahead of time, no thanks. too much of a hassle, waste of material (boxes and packing material) and there's still no guarantee the package will arrive on time and intact. the only way to almost guarantee this is to bring it on the plane as a carry on. people just need to be reasonable and not try to shove a 5 foot long duffle bag into the overhead!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel