Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 AM

31 posts, read 74,925 times

Advertisements

Thank you all so much for your insights. I have narrowed my trip down to two choices: one is a sailing tour that starts in Leros and ends in Kos. I like this because we stay on the sailboat the whole trip and have a lot of opportunity to swim and snorkel plus we spend time with local people in off the beaten track places. The other option is a cruiseship tour that visits Crete, Mykonos, Rhodes, Ephesus, Patmos and ends in Santorini with me getting off the ship there and spending three nights so I can go sailing for a day and diving another day then ferry back to Athens.

The cruise ship visits the places I really want to see but the idea of sailing in Greece is a dream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM

13 posts, read 13,911 times
Being a Greek, I would like to give those of you planning to visit Greece in the summer a little piece of advice: try not to listen to your travel agent when he/she suggests that you visit the typical destinations of Corfu and Rhodes. There are HUNDREDS of smaller Greek islands which are nicer, A LOT CHEAPER, and -some of them- off-the beaten track. I was happy to see a lot of Americans visiting Milos and Kimolos islands last year, which I visited for the first time too.

Fantastic islands are the following:

Milos
Kimolos (about 500 inhabitants, 30 mins away from Milos)
Syros (the capital of Cyclades)
Tinos
Folegandros
Sikinos
Sifnos
Serifos
Skopelos
Antiparos

There are daily ferry services to almost all greek islands, so you shouldn't worry about transport. What you need to do, though, is to book your tickets in advance, as it is extremely difficult to find tickets to the islands in the summer, especially if you are planning to rent a car and take it with you to the islands.

Party animals should opt for Mykonos, Paros, Corfu, Kefalonia, IOS, Rhodes and Kos. Santorini offers excellent nightlife, but you'll find that most people visiting the island are couples, so it's hard to meet new people there. Santorini is considered to be the most romantic destination in Greece.

Finally, there are excellent places in mainland Greece. Kastoria, Trikala, Grevena, Giannena, Pelion (Pilio) near Volos. All these places offer fantastic opportunities for trekking and hiking lovers and they also have some of the finest beaches in the whole country, for instance, Milopotamos in Pelion.

Last edited by britgreek; 04-12-2010 at 07:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel