Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
There's a simple answer to this problem: regulation. The FCC should protect consumers by mandating that all passengers on U.S. flights get one free carry on of X x Y x Z dimension PLUS one personal item. We have regulations that protect consumers in a myriad other ways -- from nutrition labels on foods we eat to licensing of barbers. As long as greedy businesses are intent on using every possible technicality to clip consumers, we the consumers should be willing to use our government to protect people from such egregious actions.
The airlines are already overly regulated. But yet passengers want them to exist in a "market economy" but still be regulated. Can't have it both ways. Either you regulate them 100% and it's back to $800 roundtrip fares with maybe 4-5 airlines in the entire US with 1/10 the amount of flights or you let the market figure it out. Now we have regulations telling airlines how long people can be kept on airplanes. When in fact it wasn't a lack of regulation preventing people from getting off, it was the air traffic system (ie the FAA).

We might as well make a law making crashes illegal, then poof! There would be no crashes, right?

Take a look at CFR 14 specially sections 91 and 121, then peruse the FAA web site and review all the pertinent AC's dealing with air carrier operations.

The FCC is the communications department, why the hell would they regulate what bag size passengers use?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 09:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
When I was travelling to and from NY after having lived there for a summer, I shipped all my belongings back fedex. It was fast and less expensive than what I would have paid taking it with me to the airport. I only had one smaller bag on the plane with me.

I forsee a spike in fedex and ups.
Y'know, I seriously considered that a few times. But I'm such a "time hog" on vacations that I couldn't make myself lose a couple of hours to pack a box and go to the nearest Fed X or UPS.

And, unfortunately, you're right about their rates spiking. Shipping charges are already through the roof as it is.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,673,640 times
you know there are companies that will pickup your packed suitcase and deliver it to you final destination. lets say your going from nyc to la, they pick up the packed luggage from your home the night before you leave, and its delivered to your hotel the next day, usually before you arrive.

Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
you know there are companies that will pickup your packed suitcase and deliver it to you final destination. lets say your going from nyc to la, they pick up the packed luggage from your home the night before you leave, and its delivered to your hotel the next day, usually before you arrive.
Interesting. I'll check into that.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 AM

Some bags people carry on are just too big, Period. But I do have a trick to alleviate bulk in it and I'll share it with you.

Inside my bag I include a cheap thin backpack. I go through security with the bag and my purse (a moderate size). As soon as I clear security I sit down and pull out my backpack and fill it with my camera, bag of meds, magazines, neck pillow (if I have it), and then I place my purse inside of it, too. The backpack ~ because it isn't a big one ~ slides easily under the seat, and I have the items in it at my fingertips when I want them. (And I do believe that I once broke a digital camera in a bin once.)

Old 04-07-2010, 01:27 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Bye Bye Spirt Airlines.

Old 04-07-2010, 06:45 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
It's pure economics. If location A (checked baggage) costs money and location B (carryon) is free then everyone will chooses location B. This issue with carryon size didn't appear until airlines started charging for checked bags.
The problem is that customers use ticket price as the end all be all for making their pruchase decisions. With that in mind no airline wants to be the highest ticket price so they all keep the price artifically low and find other ways to nickle and dime us to death.

Air travel is not supposed to be like riding a bus: bare-bottom price. It SOULD cost more and there ought to be some comfort associated with it. Now, I know some peopel will say "fly first class". The problem here is that, while first class should cost more, the current prices are MUCH mroe because they are being used to partially subsidize coach prices, which the airlines don't dare raise. Space/volume wise first class should not cost ten times more than coach but in many cases it does. Airlines: please raise the seat price to the level needed to give a decent service and stop with the nickle and diming. Passengers: please be willing to pay a few dollers more to get back the comfort we used to have in the 80s.
It was a problem long before airlines charged for checked bags. The people who don't want to wait for their checked bags but have NO problem holding up getting off a plane as they scratch their heads and fumble around looking for their crap in the over heads....

One of the reasons if I can't fly first class I try and get a seat as close to the front as possible...so I can get the hell off in a few minutes

Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM

When we travel across stateline into California we just drive it anymore. I'd rather put the money towards a car rental than deal with airports for a short trip.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:17 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
It was a problem long before airlines charged for checked bags. The people who don't want to wait for their checked bags but have NO problem holding up getting off a plane as they scratch their heads and fumble around looking for their crap in the over heads....

One of the reasons if I can't fly first class I try and get a seat as close to the front as possible...so I can get the hell off in a few minutes
There are three reasons why frequent flyers avoid checking bags:

1. Checked bags can take up to an hour to hit the carousel (Delta, JFK)

2. Checked bags can get lost (Continental sent bag to Cleveland instead of Newark and BA managed to take 5 days to get our bags to our home in Arizona after a trip to the UK).

3. Airlines charge for checked bags (US Air had same price as Southwest for a flight from LAX to Phoenix but SW don't charge for bags so guess who got the business).

Even if airlines charged for carry-on bags, "reasons 1 & 2" would still make me take carry-on whenever possible. On the occasions where I do check a bag I always take a carry-on "back-up" because of "reason 2".

Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
Some bags people carry on are just too big, Period. But I do have a trick to alleviate bulk in it and I'll share it with you.

Inside my bag I include a cheap thin backpack. I go through security with the bag and my purse (a moderate size). As soon as I clear security I sit down and pull out my backpack and fill it with my camera, bag of meds, magazines, neck pillow (if I have it), and then I place my purse inside of it, too. The backpack ~ because it isn't a big one ~ slides easily under the seat, and I have the items in it at my fingertips when I want them. (And I do believe that I once broke a digital camera in a bin once.)
Maybe I missed something, but what is being accomplished? Why didn't you just put all that stuff in the backpack in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel