Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2010, 10:30 AM

293 posts, read 563,778 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 03:34 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I do think it's assinine to charge use of toilets. Restaurants don't charge to use theirs, concert halls and bowling alleys don't charge to use theirs, even Amtrak and "the Dog" don't charge to use theirs (yet).

After contemplating this issue I've decided that they should charge for the pillows/blankets (which you keep), alcoholic drinks, maybe even the snacks (though the costs are laughable). But toilets and carry-on bags. . . NO.

Old 04-08-2010, 04:53 PM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
For years, the airline companies have been quite successful in eliminating their competition (trains/buses/cars) by making it cheaper to fly, and perhaps this will enable the bus companies and train operators to regain some footing
with some innovations and advertising.

I got my "feet wet" back in December with my first Greyhound bus rides, in over 25 years, and I enjoyed it, and I'm now considering my first round trip Greyhound bus trip to L.A. this summer, where I can make an instant connection to their light rail system.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:18 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Maybe so, TJ, if people are fortunate enough to take the time for a longer trip. Flying has become such a headache these days that the trade-off might be worth it.OTOH, I have some young friends who took Amtrak not long ago, and they said it was not all bad, but not quite as nice as they had hoped. Hmm.
About carry-on, it was suggested in the Flight Attendant Dos and Don'ts thread to assign overhead bin space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
This is the problem right there, why not enforce it? It is very simple to enforce, if a passenger wants to put his bag in the overhead space corresponding to his seat and if there is something else already in there then take it out and send it to be checked.

If everyone knew that they cannot just put luggage anywhere except their own allotted space and they have limited space or risk having their luggage taken out they will be more careful.
This is such a straightforward idea, and I can't see any difficulty with enforcing it. (At least, not after the initial uproar. )

Old 04-09-2010, 08:00 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For years, the airline companies have been quite successful in eliminating their competition (trains/buses/cars) by making it cheaper to fly, and perhaps this will enable the bus companies and train operators to regain some footing
with some innovations and advertising.

I got my "feet wet" back in December with my first Greyhound bus rides, in over 25 years, and I enjoyed it, and I'm now considering my first round trip Greyhound bus trip to L.A. this summer, where I can make an instant connection to their light rail system.

Buses and trains are fine for long distance transportation - if your time is worth $0.35 an hour.

Old 04-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
it was suggested in the Flight Attendant Dos and Don'ts thread to assign overhead bin space.

This is such a straightforward idea
What if someone brings no carry on luggage aboard and their allotted space is available, who gets to use it?

Is there enough room in the overhead bins for everyone to bring one roller case? If not, then the allocated space won't be big enough for even one roller case - might as well not have carry on luggage at all.

Will there be exceptions from the carry on fee? Medical equipment, canes, diaper bags, etc?

Old 04-09-2010, 08:45 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What if someone brings no carry on luggage aboard and their allotted space is available, who gets to use it?

Is there enough room in the overhead bins for everyone to bring one roller case? If not, then the allocated space won't be big enough for even one roller case - might as well not have carry on luggage at all.

Will there be exceptions from the carry on fee? Medical equipment, canes, diaper bags, etc?
I can't remember the last time I saw someone board a plane empty-handed, but I think we all know that other people abuse carry-on. I have no idea how such a predicament would be handled, but would the empty-handed person care?

There is pretty much ZERO overhead bin space in smaller regional jets, and usually they 'valet' check my backpack there.

The bill pending in Congress excludes children's car seats, musical instruments, canes and crutches.

Old 04-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post

The bill pending in Congress excludes children's car seats, musical instruments, canes and crutches.
How many pairs of slacks can you stuff in a cello?

Old 04-09-2010, 09:42 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Whoever offers the 'owner' the best deal or whoever asks the kindest. If I have unused space I wouldn't mind helping someone out by allocating my space to them. If they want to buy me a bag of chips for $2 to show their appreciation then even better

Old 04-11-2010, 11:14 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,486,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Those of us who travel often and show loyalty to one or two airlines shouldn't (and don't) have to worry about carry on or luggage fees. It's called frequent flyer elite status, and we are exempt from any of these charges if the major carriers adopt it.

I am all for this - it reduces the hassle of dealing with the novice travelers that choose to pack to much in their carryons.

I fly free and on standby so I have learned never to check bags flying standby unless you are guaranteed a seat on that plane. But I always carry a small carry-on bag and my purse. Thats it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel