Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:19 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I love Miami, well South Beach to be exact! Are you just going to Miami? Depending on how much time you have, I'd check out Key West. It's quite possibly my favorite US destination!

And NYC is my favorite city...
MAK802, what are your top 3 rural destinations? I'm looking to plan more of a hiking, log cabin/adobe hut camping vacation and would like some recommendations on states/locations with the best natural scenery.

Upcoming travel:
June - TN, GA, NYC
June & July - Kenya
July - NC, IL
Nov - Brazil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,289,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
MAK802, what are your top 3 rural destinations? I'm looking to plan more of a hiking, log cabin/adobe hut camping vacation and would like some recommendations on states/locations with the best natural scenery.

Upcoming travel:
June - TN, GA, NYC
June & July - Kenya
July - NC, IL
Nov - Brazil
Ooh, Brazil! That's very high on my list! We're planning a trip to Costa Rica after seeing pictures from a friend's recent trip. They stayed at a cabin in the middle of the rainforest. They went hiking, ziplining and saw such awesome wildlife. I think Costa Rica is one of the best for natural scenery.

In the US, the Grand Canyon has cabins right in the park. You can hike all the way down and camp by the river as well. If you haven't been, it's definitely a place to check out! Just avoid the summer months, as it gets hotter the more down you go!

If you're looking for a truly rustic camping adventure, I highly recommend hiking the Appalachian trail. I wouldn't do the entire route, unless you have 8 months to spare, but at least a part of it. You can camp anywhere in the woods along the trail. I've only been to parts in NJ, going North, so I can't comment on the Southern states. If you need motivation, I highly recommend reading, "A Walk in the Woods," by Bill Bryson. It's a hilarious take on hiking the entire Appalachian trail!

Some of my favorite scenery in all of the US is in Utah. I've never camped, but I know it's a popular state for hiking/camping/biking and everything in between. The red rocks are stunning and the scenery among the best in the US!

Enjoy your upcoming trips and come back to tell us about your Kenya and Brazil trips. Those sound amazing!

Old 04-12-2010, 12:40 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,917,828 times
Hoping to visit my cousin in Riverside, CA this summer for a week. First time being out of the South .

Old 04-12-2010, 12:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
I'm trying to take a trip next month to visit Tokyo and Sydney. I am dreading the long flights, though.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I'm trying to take a trip next month to visit Tokyo and Sydney. I am dreading the long flights, though.
That's the only reason we didn't go yet! Granted, it's much closer now than it was when we lived on the East coast! I think it's 9 hours from Hawaii. 14 for us. I went to Europe for the first time since moving to the West Coast and it was not fun. 15 hours total!

Old 04-12-2010, 01:14 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
That's the only reason we didn't go yet! Granted, it's much closer now than it was when we lived on the East coast! I think it's 9 hours from Hawaii. 14 for us. I went to Europe for the first time since moving to the West Coast and it was not fun. 15 hours total!
The longest trip I've been on is Scotland to Melbourne, Oz. 24 hours in total.

Old 04-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
The longest trip I've been on is Scotland to Melbourne, Oz. 24 hours in total.
Now that's dedication!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:14 PM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
Quote:
Now that's dedication!
We were smart the last time and spent a night in Dubai on the way there and on the way back we upgraded to biz class. Still, though it's a long time!

Old 04-12-2010, 03:28 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I have relatives in WI, and I spent 14 years, basically, in northern Illinois. So I'm flying into Milwaukee and doing a bit of driving around. Hope I don't get lost.
Milwaukee is the most confusing city our GPS has encountered so far.

If you like Thai - The King and I- Milwaukee's Authentic Thai Restaurant

Talk a downtown walk with a camera if you like beautiful architecture. Look up!

Old 04-15-2010, 02:08 AM

23,222 posts, read 29,044,905 times
And don't, don't miss the new Calatrava-designed lakeside art museum. I made a special detour, on my way to Chicago from Mpls., solely to see that museum. It's one-of-a-kind, for sure!

Anything Calatrava designs for any city becomes, naturally, a tourist attraction. If I had the money I'd just take a trip around the world just to fly in and out of the cities where a Calatrava-designed building exists.

Can't wait for his World Trade Center transit station to open.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel