Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,445 times

Advertisements

When traveling my wife and I call ahead or make reservations and have a hard time finding handi cap showers. I am a large man but disabled and I am unable to lift my left leg more than a couple inches due to severe arthritis.

We always ask for a roll in shower but over 90% of motels have standard tubs, which are small to me , with a couple grab handles. So I don't get to take a shower.

Which motels are out there that have large walkin or wheelchair roll in showers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 02:25 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,598,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg Mann View Post
When traveling my wife and I call ahead or make reservations and have a hard time finding handi cap showers. I am a large man but disabled and I am unable to lift my left leg more than a couple inches due to severe arthritis.

We always ask for a roll in shower but over 90% of motels have standard tubs, which are small to me , with a couple grab handles. So I don't get to take a shower.

Which motels are out there that have large walkin or wheelchair roll in showers?
Since many motels were built well before the ADA act only the newer motels will have true handicap facilities. So showers , or a bath, can be a real issue as you well know.

My advice it to call the corporate offices of those chains that you like to ask for a handicap equipped room list from them.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:02 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
Most of the hotels that do have ADA facilities only have a few rooms set aside for the handicapped, and you need to make reservations for them far in advance. We use Holiday Inns frequently.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,476,720 times
Google is your firend. Search for handicapped motels.

Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM

4,796 posts, read 22,833,498 times
I think you need to reframe your search terms a bit. All hotels are required to have accessible rooms, regardless of when they were built. But 'accessible' and 'walk-in shower' are not synonymous. Walk-in showers are not accessible to people who cannot stand. A tub with grab bars IS what is considered accessible. So you will need to search specifically for walk-in showers and not use the other terms.

Embassy Suites is one hotel chain that has standards of walk-in showers, but you will still need to call ahead and confirm that a particular locale has been renovated prior to your arrival. Willow hotels (which operates only a limited number of properties) also has walk-in showers in their suites.

Old 04-08-2010, 01:16 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,645,110 times
The AAA books have good info on facilities for guests with disabilities but I ALWAYS call ahead.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,749,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Google is your firend. Search for handicapped motels.
All good replies, thanks. I use google all the time and don't know why sometimes I forget.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:44 PM

2,755 posts, read 4,379,941 times
I know this is an old thread, but as I am looking for vacation ideas for my disabled parents before they are unable to travel anymore..... I thought I would add what I had learned.

The best chain for accessible hotels we have found so far are Marriott. They have wheelchair accessible rooms, and some with roll in showers. Marriott also has several "different" types of hotels of varying names... Springhill suites, Residence Inns etc... and several of these are relatively cheaper then the big "fancy" Marriotts. Hotels are often easy to find in major cities, rooms are clean, breakfast is often included. They are not the cheapest for "on the road" travel in small towns/vacation spots. But when you need accessibility, you probably already realize you have to plan everything well ahead, and stick to major thoroughfares.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:33 PM

16,346 posts, read 30,049,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfcambridge View Post
I know this is an old thread, but as I am looking for vacation ideas for my disabled parents before they are unable to travel anymore..... I thought I would add what I had learned.

The best chain for accessible hotels we have found so far are Marriott. They have wheelchair accessible rooms, and some with roll in showers. Marriott also has several "different" types of hotels of varying names... Springhill suites, Residence Inns etc... and several of these are relatively cheaper then the big "fancy" Marriotts. Hotels are often easy to find in major cities, rooms are clean, breakfast is often included. They are not the cheapest for "on the road" travel in small towns/vacation spots. But when you need accessibility, you probably already realize you have to plan everything well ahead, and stick to major thoroughfares.

The reason that those hotels in the large chains (Marriott, Hilton, etc.) are more compliant is that the brands are relatively new. Nearly all of the properties of the various Marriott brands (other than the flagship) were developed in the past twenty years and have roll-in showers.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 AM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Hotels are nearly all privately owned and operated, and show a logo of a chain only for advertising and reservation networking purposes. The chain exercises very little control over the amenities or the operations, except to set minimum standards and make periodic inspections to verify compliance.

If you were blind, you would soon discover that NO PLACE is handicap friendly, and the entire hotel (and every other store or office) is a mine field of booby traps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel