Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Has anyone heard of any mishaps with hotel safes?
I locked myself out of mine in Vegas once. The security manager came up to open it with the special computer device, but I had to show ID to prove I was the occupant of the room before he opened it. Only problem--my ID was in the safe, but he opened it and took out the ID (I wasn't allowed to put my hand in the safe until he checked) and once he ascertained all was legit, he went on his way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,017,224 times
Quote:
That makes no sense. What would a business traveler have that was so expensive, unless he was carrying jewels. If anything, I would think the average tourist would be carrying more valuables.
I have pretty much the same stuff either way.

Old 03-15-2012, 11:57 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,415,846 times
Quote:
Has anyone heard of any mishaps with hotel safes?
The only mishap I had was when I forgot the code I created and inadvertently locked myself out of my room safe. Like annerk's experience, a call to the hotel's loss prevention supervisor and photo ID cleared things up!

Other than that, no issues and my goods have always stayed in there, safe and secure.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:52 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,041,265 times
There are easy to follow instructions on the safes - if there isn't, call the front desk. You create your own code - so don't forget your code.

We use it to put our laptop/camera/wallet/stuff in when we are going to be at the pool and don't want to bring all that stuff with us. We've never had a problem. Even in Hawaii where the particular hotel we were staying in was supposed to have a problem with maids stealing. They don't know the code, so as long as you do it right you should be fine.

Anyway - we try not to bring anything with us when we travel that would really break our heart if it were to get stolen (or lost)... but there is always the camera... you don't want to swim or go surfing with your camera but you can't just leave it laying around, either... so the safe comes in handy.

Some people leave their stuff in the rental cars - bad idea. Rental cars are easy to spot for thieves and these days they have some pretty sneaky ways of getting into them. Never leave anything you value in a rental car - ever.

Old 03-15-2012, 05:48 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,915,835 times
A lot of the hotels the I stayed in while I was in Colombia had safes, I always used them for my spare cash, passport and my ipod and such things. For the most part everyone was very nice and I doubt cleaning ladies are there to steal your stuff, but why even give them the opportunity?

I have never seen a hotel safe where you need any sort of key, it is usually just a code that you type in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel