Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2007, 07:35 PM

151 posts, read 739,516 times

Advertisements

I have friends that live in Northern Minnesota that want to take their family to the beach this summer, but they don't know what beach to go to, they'd go to anything on the East Coast or Gulf Coast (Not West coast), that you can rent a house in, and isn't overcrowded, and has plenty of side attractions (like museums), and has good seafood restraunts (they love seafood). They also need help on what route to take, they would of course like to take a fast route, but they would also like to take some scenic routes, and they do NOT want to go near Chicago. They live in Gilbert, Minnesota to be exact. They will leave sometime in early August.

Last edited by TerrySRA; 07-21-2007 at 08:49 PM.. Reason: Put in the date they will leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 09:31 AM

No replies? Come on! The adults have never been to the beach in a long time (They used to go to Myrtle Beach, but that place started to turn into a dump.) The kids are already in elementary school but have only left the state once, and they never have been to the ocean or gulf. (They went to Indiana Dunes once when the kids were toddlers, but that Great Lakes, not ocean.) Oh, and when you give the route, make sure you give them a good town to stay in a hotel on the way, because they probably won't go through the whole trip in one day.

Last edited by TerrySRA; 07-22-2007 at 10:48 AM.. Reason: it can be on gulf too

Old 07-22-2007, 03:28 PM

232 posts, read 995,072 times
Why not the west coast ? The beaches are the best ! I am from So Cal originally. I live on the east coast for a bit and really didn't like the beaches there. But if they are dead set against the West Coast, maybe Hilton Head,SC or Tybee Is., GA.
Tybee is not as crowded as Hilton head and you could drive 15-20 min to Savannah for museums, historic district and there lots of great seafood.
Good luck !

Old 07-22-2007, 06:25 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,094,744 times
Maybe there are few replies because you mentioned not wanting overcrowded! All the beaches are pretty well full this time of the year. Florida has a lonnnnnng coastline and you have your choice of Atlantic or Gulf, penisula or panhandle, or keys.

I think almost anyone would enjoy the Keys and it's actually less crowded this time of the year because the snowbirds went home a few months ago and won't be back until October/November. And there's definitely not a lack of anything to see in the Keys, particularly Key West. Several museums/historical places.

Lots of people rent out their timeshares along the beaches. Just do a search and I'm sure you'll find many rentals available. Not sure this applies to the Keys, but you could try.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
No replies? Come on! The adults have never been to the beach in a long time (They used to go to Myrtle Beach, but that place started to turn into a dump.) The kids are already in elementary school but have only left the state once, and they never have been to the ocean or gulf. (They went to Indiana Dunes once when the kids were toddlers, but that Great Lakes, not ocean.) Oh, and when you give the route, make sure you give them a good town to stay in a hotel on the way, because they probably won't go through the whole trip in one day.
I did not reply originally because you required uncrowdedness along with plenty of side attractions.
And this is not the kind of trip you plan at the last minute.
I think you (or they) can figure out the route easily enough on Mapquest

The beaches at Cape San Blas (Gulf, northwest side) are some of the cleanest, least crowded, and unsullied in the nation. Sugar-white sand and emerald water.
But the amenities and side attractions are few.
Over here on the northeast coast, it is a bit more crowded, the beaches not as gorgeous as the Cape, but there is a bit more to do. Google Amelia Island.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:18 AM

Default cape san blas it is

I showed them all 5 of the beaches mentioned in this topic and they thought Cape San Blas was the best. They were shocked when I showed them that the sand is pure white, and also it is nearby Panama City which has all the side attractions.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:44 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrySRA View Post
I showed them all 5 of the beaches mentioned in this topic and they thought Cape San Blas was the best. They were shocked when I showed them that the sand is pure white, and also it is nearby Panama City which has all the side attractions.
Panama City does have plenty of side attractions, just remember that from Cape San Blas, it is almost an hour away. There is also Mexico Beach, which is very nice and maybe 20 minutes closer to PC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel