Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 07:52 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,504,633 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slyjacques View Post
Just an added thought, the route plan that I am thinking of is the I40 to the I44 out of Oklahoma, to the I70 out of Missouri, then the I71 out of Ohio, to the I80 through PA, then the I84 all the way to Mass. From there it's easy to Maine via the I495 to the I95. Let me know if this sounds good.
Suggestion: when you hit Columbus, OH on I-70: get in the center lane before Exit 91 (Rome-Hilliard Rd.) Stay in that lane and take I-670 (Towards Cleveland) over to I-71. You'll avoid the I-70/I-71 merge in downtown Columbus and that's a GOOD thing! The rest of your route sounds good to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 08:04 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Suggestion: when you hit Columbus, OH on I-70: get in the center lane before Exit 91 (Rome-Hilliard Rd.) Stay in that lane and take I-670 (Towards Cleveland) over to I-71. You'll avoid the I-70/I-71 merge in downtown Columbus and that's a GOOD thing! The rest of your route sounds good to me.
Don't you take the Orbital around Columbus and avoid the downtown?

Also, don't take the orbital around Indianapolis (on I70). It adds miles to your trip. Just go right through the middle (when you see the Colts stadium, be sure to shout "Go Cards" as you pass it )

Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,504,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Don't you take the Orbital around Columbus and avoid the downtown?

Also, don't take the orbital around Indianapolis (on I70). It adds miles to your trip. Just go right through the middle (when you see the Colts stadium, be sure to shout "Go Cards" as you pass it )
Depending on the time of day, I usually take the I-670, it's a few miles shorter. I-270 can get backed up at times, as well as the rest of Columbus' highways.

Actually the South loop of I-465 around Indy is a GOOD alternative to downtown; only a couple more miles than staying on I-70. I usually take that vs. going downtown in my big truck. Depending on which store I delivered to.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 AM

14,249 posts, read 17,887,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Depending on the time of day, I usually take the I-670, it's a few miles shorter. I-270 can get backed up at times, as well as the rest of Columbus' highways.

Actually the South loop of I-465 around Indy is a GOOD alternative to downtown; only a couple more miles than staying on I-70. I usually take that vs. going downtown in my big truck. Depending on which store I delivered to.
Interesting ... good tips ... thanks for that.

I have driven through Columbus a few times and never really had a problem with traffic. Same goes for Indianapolis.

Old 05-04-2010, 01:05 PM

34 posts, read 94,059 times
Default Driving Cross Country w/ two cats from Cal to Tenn. Hwy 40 or Hwy 80?

Hi,
We're leaving at the end of May (in three weeks). I imagine Hwy 40 route would be much hotter than Hwy 80? I just hate the mountain pass in Tahoe though from San Fran.

Anyone have experience w/ either/both? Are there very many mountain passes either Hwy? How hot is it across Hwy 40 and Hwy 80 for that matter in end may? I worry about my cats in the heat. I'll have A/C, but it still gets broiling w/ pit stops etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
susan

Old 05-04-2010, 04:34 PM

9,316 posts, read 16,624,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nasuse View Post
Hi,
We're leaving at the end of May (in three weeks). I imagine Hwy 40 route would be much hotter than Hwy 80? I just hate the mountain pass in Tahoe though from San Fran.

Anyone have experience w/ either/both? Are there very many mountain passes either Hwy? How hot is it across Hwy 40 and Hwy 80 for that matter in end may? I worry about my cats in the heat. I'll have A/C, but it still gets broiling w/ pit stops etc.

Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks,
susan
Keep A/C running (with extra key) when you are making a pit stop. If you stop for a bite to eat make sure the car is within your sight while it is running (and of course locked).

Old 05-05-2010, 12:31 PM

34 posts, read 94,059 times
Thanks Ellwood. Great to be reminded of having a hide-a-key for the trip or extra in my purse!! yikes, can you imagine locking it in and waiting for hours for help in the heat!?

I won't be any longer than 2 minutes at pitstops and bringing my own food, so won't have to leave babes alone.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:00 AM

1 posts, read 892 times
Best route from mesa to maine. bypassing cities safest and quickest

Old 04-21-2014, 09:53 PM

19 posts, read 36,156 times
When you are in Oklahoma City, make sure to stop at Cattleman's Cafe in Packing Town. GREAT chicken fried steak. And an fyi, don't order the Rockie Mountain Oysters unless you know what they are. Safe travels!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel