Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2010, 07:32 PM

10 posts, read 71,236 times

Advertisements

My Boyfriend (34yrs) and I (27yrs) are planning a little getaway in June and are undecided between the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach. Any recommendations between the two? And if so any particular resort or cottage resort? Or if is there another great beach resort within reasonable driving distance from Virginia please let me know. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 08:32 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
We have vacationed at both, and preferred the Outer Banks, but they were completely different types of trips. The Outer Banks has lots of huge homes for rent, and consequently hosts large groups of family or friends. Not much to do at night, so it was quiet and restful.

Myrtle Beach would be terrific with kids or young adults who want to get off the beach and play. There are arcades, movies, amusements parks, mini golf, etc, galore!

Old 04-19-2010, 10:20 PM

147 posts, read 646,053 times
If you like to party go to Myrtle Beach. If you like peace & quiet go to the outer banks.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:04 AM

13,401 posts, read 28,714,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny999 View Post
If you like to party go to Myrtle Beach. If you like peace & quiet go to the outer banks.
That about sums it up....depends on what you are looking for...and the traffic in Myrtle Beach during the summer is your worst traffic nightmare come to life

Old 04-20-2010, 07:07 AM

1,859 posts, read 5,025,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA-CND:) View Post
My Boyfriend (34yrs) and I (27yrs) are planning a little getaway in June and are undecided between the Outer Banks and Myrtle Beach. Any recommendations between the two? And if so any particular resort or cottage resort? Or if is there another great beach resort within reasonable driving distance from Virginia please let me know. Thanks for your help.
I would recommend taking the extra hour and a half and going further south to Charleston, for a younger couple w/no kids, you will find far more to do and see there than Myrtle Beach. And if you want to stay on/near the beach you can choose from Isle of Palms, Folly Beach, Sullivan's Island or Kiawah Island.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:33 AM

53 posts, read 215,001 times
Outer Banks all the way! I hate Myrtle Beach, it is an over crowded tourist trap. I have vacationed in Duck, NC a couple of times and am thinking of going there again this summer. The beaches are uncrowded and beautiful! If you go to Corolla there are some areas that you can only get to with a 4 wheel drive vehicle. There are also wild horses that run the beaches.

I also agree with Buckeye in SC about the Charleston, SC. The area is so much nicer than Myrtle Beach, with lots to do. Charleston is my husbands favorite city to visit in the US. If you go to Folly Beach, you should be a strong swimmer though. The currents are strong. But, if you like to surf, it is known as the best surfing beach on the Atlantic. The waves are huge!

Old 04-20-2010, 06:50 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,746,538 times
Thumbs up OBX Baby ! :)

OBX all the way ! ( Outer Banks )
Wow it was beautiful there. The beaches are breathtaking and its very romantic. Of course going there in the Spring is vastly different that the crowded summers...
Please don't miss this beautiful place...

Old 04-20-2010, 07:29 PM

476 posts, read 1,134,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny999 View Post
+1

We went to MB for a wild but cheap Spring Break. We went to OB for a relaxing but affordable family reunion.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:42 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
Another vote for the Outer Banks,and DON'T skip Kitty Hawk. It's very, very inspiring. Have a wonderful trip!

Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM

10 posts, read 71,236 times
Thanks! We just booked our trip to Nags Head, NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel