U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2007, 03:27 PM

3,258 posts, read 8,179,989 times

Advertisements

I am considering a trip to Greece in the near future and would like input on the different islands.

Just to give an idea what I am looking at for details-

What's the difference as far as beach quality?

General scenery?

Different types of rental villas versus hotels?

From what country would you say frequent the area? ie; when we went to Tunisia there were mainly Scandanavian and German tourists. Therefore we didn't have many conversations with out fellow travelers.

Any other things you think we might consider.

PS. I am american and my husband is brit. And there is a child involved that may be in a stoller, or would we be better waiting until he is walking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 04:01 PM

13,386 posts, read 41,505,104 times
How long do you have to travel? The ferries take a bit of time.
We went to Corfu, Crete, Ios and Santorini. Corfu was green and lush, Ios had a lot of young people, Santorini was absolutely breathtaking, some of the most incredible views I've ever laid eyes on.
Santorini which seemed fairly international. The volcano hike was interesting and fun.
There were a lot of Brits on Corfu, Germans too.
Crete had fascinating history, some hills, and very friendly locals.
I enjoyed the Greeks themselves, many of whom spoke English.
Walking around (or hiking) might be a bit difficult unless you have a backpack to put your child in, not every place is designed to accomodate a stroller.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
How long do you have to travel? The ferries take a bit of time.
Santorini was absolutely breathtaking, some of the most incredible views I've ever laid eyes on.
Santorini which seemed fairly international. The volcano hike was interesting and fun.
I think there's a show on that coming up on Food Network for Santorini (Weekend getaways), have to catch that.

Last edited by floridadreamer; 06-10-2007 at 08:04 PM..

Old 06-13-2007, 04:49 AM

14,138 posts, read 26,173,700 times
Have you looked at Rhodes/Lindos? It doesn't have those huge cliffs and the beaches are easier to get to. Great shopping and pubs. Lots of British tourists as well. It's Greek but there's a lot of Turkish influence too. Rhodes is an ancient walled city with a lot of history and it's quite beautiful as well. It's one of my favorites.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:02 AM

We would probably be looking at a week, just a short break when we visit the in laws in England. Actually, the little one will probably be about 3 by the time we go anyway and it's possible he could stay in England while we go to Greece for a few days.

Thanks for the input, I'll have to check those out.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,618 times
Check Zakynthos and Kefalonia. I loved both. I am both Greek and Greek Orthodox and the church of St. Dionysios on Zakynthos is absolutley breathtaking. The beaches on both places are amazing. There is less tourism on these islands than on Santorini, Mykonos, and Kriti so you get to feel more of "pure Greece" while still being on an island. There are a fair amount of shops/restaurants on both so I do not think that it would be hard to find a hotel/villa/condo/apatment/etc on either though I am not too sure because when I go I stay with family. Stroller should be fine so long as you have cover to protect from sun. If I remember correctly, it is not hard to take a fairy from Zakynthos to Kefolonia or the other way. I have also traveled throughout all of mainland Greece. The entire country is amazing and you can find beaches in many places. If you go to a beach on mainland, look at Kamena Vourla. Anyway good luck and I hope that this was somewhat helpful.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:25 AM

13,011 posts, read 19,211,894 times
I liked Santorini for the scenery, the quant towns, and the ancient ruins they have there.

But take the local ferrys and island hop. In a week you can hit 3 or 4 islands. Beach quality - since you have "florida" in your name just be aware that greek beaches are narrow and rocky and not the equivalent of florida beaches. And I don't remember villa's specifically on the beach (on Santorini must of the towns are on cliffs overlooking the beach). But I would hope you are going to Greece for more of a reason than to sunbathe.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:42 AM

13,386 posts, read 41,505,104 times
I have a feeling the OP's trip has probably already been taken.
I'd love to visit Zakynthos and Kefalonia, but part of the reason we didn't was because while the ferry system is indeed extensive, they do not always run on Sundays. It is certainly possible to visit 3 or 4 islands in a week, but be prepared to spend a lot of time on a boat. Sailing at night is helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or