Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:30 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times

Advertisements

I'm starting in L.A. and flying to Chicago, and then from Chicago on to Manchester, England. The first flight is domestic; do the international rules apply (get to the airport three hours early, etc.)? As you can see, I'm a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I received my passport, and now I know why Erma Bombeck wrote a book a long time ago titled "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo It's Time to Go Home".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 11:42 PM

694 posts, read 1,233,129 times
Did you purchase one ticket for the whole trip? If so, international travel rules apply in LA.
You also have a higher luggage number and weigh limit allowance.
Check with the airline, its web site first then the 800 number, they will answer all your questions.
Bon voyage!

Last edited by learningCA; 02-11-2010 at 12:02 AM..

Old 02-11-2010, 01:10 AM

2,957 posts, read 12,724,336 times
Not to worry! My first passport photo had such a swampishly green hue, I looked like Mrs. Kermit the Frog. And I was stuck with that spinach flavored pic for years.

Funny story.....sort of.....

Couple of years ago we were moving from country A to country B. The day before this whole journey unfolded my 20 year old son was mugged on the street. Knocked out cold, kicked in the head, and robbed. We were 24 hours from going through the whole miasma of outgoing and incoming passport controls--now his head was swollen like a watermelon, both eyes were black and shut, and he had the imprint of a boot across the side of his face. He looked nothing like his passport picture. I really was quite worried about the whole affair.

But it all went without a hitch, not a single question about his unseemly appearance, not a peep. Stamp, stamp, stamp and we were through.

If we can do that, you can get to Manchester in good order. No worries.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:23 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,260,693 times
Be aware that you can get jammed with carry-on rules. Our last flight into Heathrow from the states was interesting. Some folks had two carry-on items (which were allowed on the outbound flight) but when they got to Heathrow for further connections ONLY ONE carry-on item was allowed and their carry-on couldn't hold their additional gear. We always travel with a carry-on that will take our laptop gear and didn't have a problem but some folks were forced to dump some of their gear to get it into one carry-on. Just a heads up.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 AM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm starting in L.A. and flying to Chicago, and then from Chicago on to Manchester, England. The first flight is domestic; do the international rules apply (get to the airport three hours early, etc.)? As you can see, I'm a bit confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I received my passport, and now I know why Erma Bombeck wrote a book a long time ago titled "When You Look Like Your Passport Photo It's Time to Go Home".
The key is that you're checked in three hours or so before your international flight departure (i.e. the flight leaving from Chicago). This is so the authorities can cross check the passenger list to terrorist data bases, etc. which they do for international -- but not domestic -- flights (i.e. flights requiring a passport). Since you're first on a connecting flight that will leave L.A. hours before the Chicago flight departs for Europe, when you initially check it will effectively be hours early for the trans-Atlantic flight. Thus, a normal domestic 1.5-2 hour time cushion should be fine.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:18 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
You know what they say about passport photos: if you look anything like your picture you're not well enough to travel

Everyone else is right, you do need to check in 3 hours ahead of the flight if you're ticketed all the way thro to the UK. They should be, but just confirm when you check in, that your bags are checked all the way thro to Manchester (this will not happen on the way home by the way). Be prepared for the possibility you have to check one of your carry-on bags. I always have a shoulder bag big enough to hold my documents, jacket, magazines, etc, just in case.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:42 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
I never check in 3 hours ahead (whether here or in the UK) and never had a problem probably because I update my reservation with the appropriate information. Ninety mins usually works just fine.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:57 PM

Thanks, everyone! Two tickets - one from LAX to ORD, and the other from ORD to MAN. So I should be fine getting to the airport 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours before my flight.

On the way home, I'm actually flying from London direct to L.A., so there won't be any connection issues. *phew*

Old 02-11-2010, 04:59 PM

How awful! I'm so sorry that happened to your son! I'm glad he was able to travel with no problems, though. I hope he made a full recovery!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azoria View Post
Not to worry! My first passport photo had such a swampishly green hue, I looked like Mrs. Kermit the Frog. And I was stuck with that spinach flavored pic for years.

Funny story.....sort of.....

Couple of years ago we were moving from country A to country B. The day before this whole journey unfolded my 20 year old son was mugged on the street. Knocked out cold, kicked in the head, and robbed. We were 24 hours from going through the whole miasma of outgoing and incoming passport controls--now his head was swollen like a watermelon, both eyes were black and shut, and he had the imprint of a boot across the side of his face. He looked nothing like his passport picture. I really was quite worried about the whole affair.

But it all went without a hitch, not a single question about his unseemly appearance, not a peep. Stamp, stamp, stamp and we were through.

If we can do that, you can get to Manchester in good order. No worries.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:38 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Thanks, everyone! Two tickets - one from LAX to ORD, and the other from ORD to MAN. So I should be fine getting to the airport 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours before my flight.

On the way home, I'm actually flying from London direct to L.A., so there won't be any connection issues. *phew*
Hope you have a great time. I was in Manchester during the holidays visiting with my 2nd cousins. There is an Italian restaurant just off Deansgate and next to Fraser's department store (formerly Kendalls) that I can thoroughly recommend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel