Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 03:17 PM

53 posts, read 147,634 times

Advertisements

Can anybody suggest the best place to visit in costa rica? I don't know if to visit the south Caribbean or the north side of costa rica? or if I can visit both? I'll be there for 7 days...Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 04:45 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
We're going for 8 nights in August. After much research and asking questions on the Trip Advisor forum, I have planned and booked the itinerary. We are flying into San Jose, and spending our first and last nights there (arriving late, leaving early). Then, we are renting a car and driving to Arenal for 2 nights (near the volcano) and the remaining nights in Manuel Antonio, near the beaches and rainforest.

It's highly recommended to rent an SUV while there and drive on your own, as every single person on TA has told me. We have booked a car, hotels, flights and are just waiting for August to come! Let me know if you need specific recs, though I highly recommend going on the Costa Rica forum on TA. They are so helpful, even if you just read and not post.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:01 AM

Default Thanks

That help me a Lillte... I wasn't sure if we should drive... I know will b better I'm just scared to get lost of to get in an accident...but I guess that is part of the trip... if you don't mind to tell me what car rental did u used? we are going in the end of july...

Old 05-01-2010, 10:19 AM

We use this one, but only because they had the best rates for our time period.

Rent a car Rates in Costa Rica, Service car rental rates in Costa Rica, Discount, Budget Car Rental Rates, Prices for Cars for Hire, Discount, Good Deals, Bargin, Best Price, Deal

This is another one that is highly recommended in CR:

Car Rental in Costa Rica | Rent a Car at Europcar

And here's a site for the best driving directions/times in CR:

Costa Rica|Route Planner|Detailed Map|Driving Times

We are renting a Garmin when we get there (prices are nowhere as high as the US GPS rentals). If you have a Garmin that you use here, you can download the maps. We have a TomTom and CR is not one of the countries they support, so we have to rent. Have a fun trip and report back! I'm going mid-August and would love to hear your experience.

Are you doing any ziplining or other outdoor activities? I have an entire list, and am trying to narrow it down!

Old 05-01-2010, 08:27 PM

645 posts, read 1,451,989 times
where is costa rica?

Old 05-01-2010, 08:29 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,467 times
Default Manual Antonio

We traveled to CR last year and LOVED it. It's one of my favorite vacations I've had. My husband and I went there for our 10th wedding anniversary.

We flew into San Jose and immediately rented an SUV, with a GPS (very highly recommended). We drove straight to the area of Manual Antonio and spent five nights at Si Como No hotel. It was amazing! Woke up to howler monkeys. Had coffee outside on our private terrace, then went to the free breakfast buffet, full of fresh fruits, breads, omeletes, and too much more to list.

We jet skied, hiked through the rainforest with a private tour guide, lounged on the beach, zip lined through the rain forest, went horseback riding, and had a blast.
Si Como No was an incredible hotel. We stayed in room number 11. The hotel is also within walking distance to various restaurants, grocery stores, the beach (although the hotel has a free taxi service that takes you to the beach).

Have fun! CR is incredible. We can't wait to go back!

Old 05-01-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post
We traveled to CR last year and LOVED it. It's one of my favorite vacations I've had. My husband and I went there for our 10th wedding anniversary.

We flew into San Jose and immediately rented an SUV, with a GPS (very highly recommended). We drove straight to the area of Manual Antonio and spent five nights at Si Como No hotel. It was amazing! Woke up to howler monkeys. Had coffee outside on our private terrace, then went to the free breakfast buffet, full of fresh fruits, breads, omeletes, and too much more to list.

We jet skied, hiked through the rainforest with a private tour guide, lounged on the beach, zip lined through the rain forest, went horseback riding, and had a blast.
Si Como No was an incredible hotel. We stayed in room number 11. The hotel is also within walking distance to various restaurants, grocery stores, the beach (although the hotel has a free taxi service that takes you to the beach).

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip! Did you find it easy getting around? I know you had a GPS, but sometimes even with one it can be hard to navigate in certain areas! Did you arrive during the day or at night? Our flight arrives around 9pm, so we opted to stay the night in San Jose, but do you think it's better to just get on the road once we get there or would you not advise driving in the middle of the night?

We're so excited for this trip, especially after hearing all the positive reviews!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers19 View Post

Thanks that is very helpful did they charge you a lot for the car insurance?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
We use this one, but only because they had the best rates for our time period.

Rent a car Rates in Costa Rica, Service car rental rates in Costa Rica, Discount, Budget Car Rental Rates, Prices for Cars for Hire, Discount, Good Deals, Bargin, Best Price, Deal

This is another one that is highly recommended in CR:

Car Rental in Costa Rica | Rent a Car at Europcar

And here's a site for the best driving directions/times in CR:

Costa Rica|Route Planner|Detailed Map|Driving Times

We are renting a Garmin when we get there (prices are nowhere as high as the US GPS rentals). If you have a Garmin that you use here, you can download the maps. We have a TomTom and CR is not one of the countries they support, so we have to rent. Have a fun trip and report back! I'm going mid-August and would love to hear your experience.

Are you doing any ziplining or other outdoor activities? I have an entire list, and am trying to narrow it down!
thanks Mak I'll check it out those websites... we don't have any activity plan yet... but I'll keep u post it...

Old 05-03-2010, 03:06 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times
@ summers 19 : driving SUVs and jetskiing are hardly ecological vacations, it's a shame you practice such activities in a country that is known for focusing on ecotourism, where is your responsibility towards Mother Earth?
Even if I had your kind of budget , I would never do that.
Actually next January I'll be flying to CR, the 1st week, we'll visit the region around the Arenal volcano, all by bus , and stay in local hostels, and then we've rented a studio near Manuel Antonio, we'll go there by bus (it's better also to get to know the locals) and stay 3 weeks there, rent mountain bikes, buy on the local markets, cook ourselves, it's called slow tourism.
And we stay longer because it 's better in terms of CO2 emissions not to fly for only 2 weeks, and fly less often.
If everybody acted responsibly like us - and that doesn't prevent us to have fun-, there would be less environmental problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel