Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 07:29 AM

44 posts, read 110,867 times

Advertisements

Savannah is a beautiful romantic town. Never been to Charleston but heard it was very nice with a variety of things to do and see. Would you consider the Smoky Mountain area. Asheville area in NC and then the Tennessee area(gatlingburg/Pigeon Forge. Some of the most beautiful scenary I have ever seen in that region. Enjoy your getaway wherever you choose to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 07:44 AM

44 posts, read 110,867 times
Sorry in my previous post I mentioned Smoky Mountain area when you mentioned you've already done that in the past. I wasn't sure if you had done Asheville area Biltmore Estate, Nantahala Outdoor center area, Dillsboro/Bryson City GSMR. Just a thought.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:41 AM

204 posts, read 873,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
If she has never been the DC she might enjoy all there is to see. If you're from a small town DC can be very exciting.
I very much enjoyed DC the times that I have been. My only reservation is that she is really not into history and such and I'm afraid that she wouldn't find the sightseeing as interesting as I did. We have always wanted to go to New York so I think our "trip to a big city" will be to go there eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJW View Post
Sorry in my previous post I mentioned Smoky Mountain area when you mentioned you've already done that in the past. I wasn't sure if you had done Asheville area Biltmore Estate, Nantahala Outdoor center area, Dillsboro/Bryson City GSMR. Just a thought.
I had thought of the Biltmore Estate as neither of us have been there and I enjoy visiting vineyards. I just wasn't sure what other attractions there would be to enjoy in that area.

Right now I'm beginning to focus on Charleston. I'm looking at places to stay and I had a question for anyone who might have been there before. Obviously the more historic inns and such in downtown are more expensive rooms. I've found some very good prices on more basic hotels located closer to the airport area (North Charleston, from what I can tell 10 min or so from downtown). My question is would it be better to splurge on a nicer place to stay and maybe not have as much money for spending and to do other activities? Or should I maybe go with a cheaper hotel a little bit from downtown but thus freeing up more funds for spending and activities? It'd be a 3 day 2 night stay. Friday-Sunday and we would probably spend most of Sunday down there too as it'll only be a 4-5 drive back home.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:43 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,713,784 times
Outerbanks ? ...Or do you want to travel further ?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,670,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyp02 View Post
Right now I'm beginning to focus on Charleston. I'm looking at places to stay and I had a question for anyone who might have been there before. Obviously the more historic inns and such in downtown are more expensive rooms. I've found some very good prices on more basic hotels located closer to the airport area (North Charleston, from what I can tell 10 min or so from downtown). My question is would it be better to splurge on a nicer place to stay and maybe not have as much money for spending and to do other activities?
YES. if you want to enjoy downtown Charleston, you should stay downtown, IMO. I'd recommend the Days Inn on Meeting Street. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, and the Charleston Place, which are all good choices. You don't want to be a tourist searching for a parking spot downtown. Some popular places downtown are breakfast @ the Hominy Grill, dinner and drinks on the rooftop of the Vendue Inn, which has a pretty view. 39 Rue de Jean has good French food, Fleet Landing has good seafood, and the most outrageously good lobster-stuffed hush puppies. High Cotton and S.N.O.B. are popular.

you might also want to look into staying at a B&B in downtown Wilmington, something like the Verandas. IMO the Riverboat Landing Restaurant would be a romantic place to eat, if you reserved a table on one of the outdoor balconies. There is not as much to see and do in Wilmington, though, Charleston is a better choice.

Last edited by le roi; 05-11-2010 at 09:14 AM..

Old 05-11-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Outerbanks ? ...Or do you want to travel further ?
The outer banks are still in consideration but they're actually a longer distance (a little over 6 hours) from us than Charleston (around 5 hours). Also she is actually at Myrtle Beach this week so I don't know about two beach trips that close together (although they are totally different tourists areas lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
YES. if you want to enjoy downtown Charleston, you should stay downtown, IMO. I'd recommend the Days Inn on Meeting Street. I have stayed at the Hampton Inn, Embassy Suites, and the Charleston Place, which are all good choices. You don't want to be a tourist searching for a parking spot downtown. Some popular places downtown are breakfast @ the Hominy Grill, dinner and drinks on the rooftop of the Vendue Inn, which has a pretty view. 39 Rue de Jean has good French food, Fleet Landing has good seafood, and the most outrageously good lobster-stuffed hush puppies. High Cotton and S.N.O.B. are popular.
I'll look into those hotels you recommended. I had actually found a Sheraton I believe it was in North Charleston that had shuttles that would take you to downtown. I knew I wouldn't want to drive down there and park but I thought the shuttle might be an alternative if it ran late into the night I'd just hate to have to schedule everything around the shuttle's time. I actually stayed at an Embassy Suites in Charlotte and was pleasantly surprised for the price.

Thanks for the recommendations on dining as well; those lobster-stuffed hush puppies sound amazing! lol

Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,955,354 times
Have you considered Amelia Island?

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Have you considered Amelia Island?
I'd never heard of it but it looks really nice. Probably a little farther than I want to travel for a weekend trip but I may look into that for later in the summer when I have my vacation week. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2010, 05:51 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
Ocracoke Island and the lighthouse. Very romantic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel