Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2022, 05:18 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,574,122 times

Advertisements

We've had far more blatant attempts at scamming in SE Asia and India, I really don't recall any in Turkey.

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2022, 05:42 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
I can't remember being "scammed" as a traveler in the past decade. Except in Istanbul. Twice.
I thought the ppl in Istanbul were great & honest.

Where we saw ppl get scammes: Thailand, Egypt & Morocco

Old 05-13-2022, 07:36 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
Aside from the OP's understandable shock at being in a fatal traffic accident, many people in the thread seem to be complaining that traveling to a different country brings different experiences than they get at home.

That is exactly the point of traveling. If you do not like things to be different from your home, don't travel. If you do travel, you will encounter different languages, foods, customs, temperatures, traffic patterns, etc.

I will agree that some drivers in Istanbul are astonishingly bad. I was in a shuttle bus to the airport where the driver decided to back up against traffic for about 3 blocks on a one way street. Took us about 45 minutes, strangled traffic everywhere, and he ultimately gave up only after backing into the canopy in front of a shop and decided to drive away in the direction of traffic.

When I got to the airport, he got into a fistfight with a person using the crosswalk in front of him. I jumped out of the van, grabbed my luggage, and did not look back.

Old 05-13-2022, 12:35 PM

We told a taxi driver in Medellín he went the wrong exit, dude proceeded to back up all the way back to the main highway with cars flying past us honking. It was one of those times where it was funny 5 minutes later, but at the time we thought we were dead. Dude kept laughing "ves? ves? ves como hago la vaina?" (see how I handle it?) he was so proud of how he efficiently resolved the situation.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:24 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,600,617 times
Scams come in many varieties. There are official scams and private scams. Built-in scams ans personal scams. There are strong-arm scams and subtle scame. There are programmed scams and opportunistic scams. Different cultures will scam with different twists.

Istanbul bus station had a coin-op bathroom turnstile, one lira, which was 40c in those days. How could that not be a scam?

Travel agent at IST airport booked me a bus ticket to Galati and a private driver to the bust station. which I'd never have found in an alley by myself. Charged me 100 bucks, I was just off an overnight flight and didn't care, and he knew it.

Cafe near the bus park served mediocre Mediterranean food, not too badly overpriced. But I'm not itching to go back. I kmew Turkey in the 60s, no need to revalidate it.

Old 05-13-2022, 10:41 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
I had a great time in Istanbul. Brought back some great photos and souvenirs. The food was excellent.

Old 05-14-2022, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
Istanbul bus station had a coin-op bathroom turnstile, one lira, which was 40c in those days. How could that not be a scam?

Travel agent at IST airport booked me a bus ticket to Galati and a private driver to the bust station. which I'd never have found in an alley by myself. Charged me 100 bucks, I was just off an overnight flight and didn't care, and he knew it.

Cafe near the bus park served mediocre Mediterranean food, not too badly overpriced. But I'm not itching to go back. I kmew Turkey in the 60s, no need to revalidate it.
1. I must be missing something. It is a scam because they are charging you for a service in use of their facilities?

2. Yes, that sounds like a scam taking advantage of naive traveler willing to overpay because they don't care.

3. Food is quality subjective but food at transportation hubs is usually not the best, your opinion it was mediocre doesn't make it a scam.

So the sweeping statements you make about Turkey come from your visit 50-60 years ago. Same ole cebuan.

Old 05-14-2022, 10:44 PM

10,557 posts, read 7,755,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYC View Post
I had a great time in Istanbul. Brought back some great photos and souvenirs. The food was excellent.
I also thought the food was excellent and quite affordable for a big city. We really enjoyed our visit about 8 years ago.

Old 05-15-2022, 03:30 PM

30,636 posts, read 18,222,068 times
Istanbul is a stunningly beautiful city from my experience, but my time there was also somewhat unpleasant in different ways, namely to deal with racism and just insensitivity in general. One day some Turkish police officers called me a monkey and started laughing as my friends and I walked by (I'm black for what it's worth). Another time, while at a café, some woman walks up to me, pulls my Afro, and then walks off laughing. Needless to say I did not have the best time in that city.

Old 05-15-2022, 04:14 PM

4,294 posts, read 4,428,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Istanbul is a stunningly beautiful city from my experience, but my time there was also somewhat unpleasant in different ways, namely to deal with racism and just insensitivity in general. One day some Turkish police officers called me a monkey and started laughing as my friends and I walked by (I'm black for what it's worth). Another time, while at a café, some woman walks up to me, pulls my Afro, and then walks off laughing. Needless to say I did not have the best time in that city.
That would suck anywhere. Sorry you experienced that.

IMO very few parts of the world are truly welcoming. My favs are in Latin America. It's hard not to feel welcome down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel