Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 PM

227 posts, read 821,638 times

Advertisements

Anyone have any experience with Contiki?

I am thinking of going on one of their tours to Europe. They have a couple tour styles, budget and superior. I want to meet people and have fun, but I would prefer hotels over the budget style. Would I still be around young people or is it rich older people who do the superior style?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,287,655 times
It's a bunch of college kids, early 20s. Basically, think of spring break but on a tour. Not something anyone over 25 should do, imo. And tours in Europe are terrible. It's so much better and more enjoyable to research and go at your own pace!

Old 05-25-2010, 12:57 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
MAK802 is right - if you want to drink all night and sleep (on the bus) all day you'll probably enjoy it. But if you want to see Europe, forget it. If you want to experience Europe, you're better off planning your own trip. It's not hard - getting around Europe is easy... and you'll meet plenty of younger people who are also making their own way around.

A young friend of mine went on a Contiki tour of Europe a few years ago, and doesn't remember anything about any of the countries she visited. Heck, she doesn't even remember which countries she visited! All she remembers is having a huge hangover every morning.

Old 05-25-2010, 03:01 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
Chiming in to echo what the two previous posters said.

(And I am surprised that Contiki has not yet begun spamming this Travel forum, they do it in many other places with fake posters.)

Even if all you wanted to do was go to Europe and party, you could do it *without* Contiki. I know some people enjoy the safety of the herd, but Contiki is a waste of money.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:40 AM

Alright guess I will try something else. I am not a big party person, but I did want to do a group thing so I do have those party options if I want them. I'm late 20s though and not a big drinker.

Any other suggestions? If I go alone, how hard is it to meet people to hang out with? Just by staying at hostels would I have a good chance to meet other travelers?

Also, I know it's not the ideal time to go, but December or January is when I will be free to go...is it worth it to go in those months or should I wait until I can go in warmer months?

Old 05-25-2010, 01:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,926,132 times
If you're outgoing, meeting people in hostels is easy, if you want my recommendation use some online websites to meet people FROM the countries you will be. I met people online before I went to Colombia, and I had already met some living in Miami.. I also met some people in the hostels.. I wasn't a fan of the hostels and had much more fun with the natives.

Old 05-25-2010, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daaaaave View Post
Alright guess I will try something else. I am not a big party person, but I did want to do a group thing so I do have those party options if I want them. I'm late 20s though and not a big drinker.

Any other suggestions? If I go alone, how hard is it to meet people to hang out with? Just by staying at hostels would I have a good chance to meet other travelers?

Also, I know it's not the ideal time to go, but December or January is when I will be free to go...is it worth it to go in those months or should I wait until I can go in warmer months?
Hostels are just natural group situations. You don't have to be pounding down the lagers to strike up a conversation at the bar.
I find that I meet *more* people when traveling alone (and I don't drink that much when traveling alone, myself.)
It's up to you about which time to travel.
It will be colder and some places might be closed in the winter months--on the other hand, airfare might be cheaper, December can be festive, and January might have shorter lines at museums etc.
What destinations were you considering?

Old 05-25-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Hostels are just natural group situations. You don't have to be pounding down the lagers to strike up a conversation at the bar.
I find that I meet *more* people when traveling alone (and I don't drink that much when traveling alone, myself.)
It's up to you about which time to travel.
It will be colder and some places might be closed in the winter months--on the other hand, airfare might be cheaper, December can be festive, and January might have shorter lines at museums etc.
What destinations were you considering?
I have never been to Europe so I think I want to see cities like London, Paris, and Rome...I think I would plan a trip around those 3 and just see where it would make sense to stop in between. I'm planning for about 2 weeks.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,397 times
London, Paris and Rome are great places for a first-time visitor to Europe.

You could first fly to London, spend several days there, then take Eurostar train to Paris. After a few days in Paris you could take a train down to the French riviera (Marseilles, Cannes or Nice) for a day or two, then take another train to Rome. That itinerary should comfortably fit into 2 weeks.

I personally wouldn't go to Europe in the depths of winter (I grew up there, and moved to Australia years ago because I hated the cold)! But from your other posts it seems like you live in NYC, so the cold is probably not an issue for you.

Go to tripadvisor.com for research, and also checkout eurail.com for train passes, schedules and costs etc. Don't worry about travelling alone... if you're pleasant and approachable, you'll meet people wherever you go.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:35 AM

Good advice from Kobber, although that last leg of the journey (from the French Riviera all the way to Rome) might be a bit tricky. I wonder if you could just find a cheap inter-European flight on Easyjet.
One thing you might want to consider is flying into London and out of Rome.
Buying a train pass can offer convenience, but it is not always cost-effective.
In addition to Tripadvisor, it might be worthwhile to check out the Transportation and/or Cheap Flights section of Eurotrip, which caters to young backpackers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel