Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 44,470 times

Advertisements

Howdy!

So last time I asked for tips on this forum, the results turned out great! (See here: //www.city-data.com/forum/trave...t-co-2.html#14 )

That trip was towards the end of my wife's pregnancy with our beautiful twin daughters. Now it's time to take said 19 month old daughters on a roadtrip!

We're leaving Seattle and going to visit the grandparents, aunts and uncles who live on the eastern slopes of Southern Colorado. Trying to keep the driving to less than 8 hours per day and we plan on taking three days to get there and three days to get back.

Here's the fun part: What should we see along the way? Any favorites anybody has? We're very flexible as to the route.

I was thinking I-90 - I-25 there and I-25 to either I-70 or I-80 then I-15 - I-84 - I-82 - I-90 home.

Pretty wide open question, but I'd love to hear some input!

Thanks!

-Landon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 12:06 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,003,579 times
I-70 from Denver to I-15 is probably my favorite stretch of interstate. You go over a couple passes above 10,000. Then you go thru a canyon so narrow the Eastbound/Westbounds are stacked rather than side by side.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:06 PM

A.M.:That is most definitely a beautiful route! I believe you're thinking of Glenwood Canyon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

--

Are there any places to eat, quirky things to see, places to stretch your legs, etc that are a "must stop" along my route(s)? Anyone?

Just looking for ideas.

Thanks!

-Landon

Old 06-03-2010, 12:10 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Let us know what time of the yr you are doing this, and we can be more specific on routing and sites. I've done PDX > DEN for many yrs having lived on both ends, but generally straight through, making the most tracks in destitute areas at night-time and taking scenic sidetrips during the day. Often stopping at city parks and pools during the day so kids could play while driver could nap.

I bought the kids squirt guns when they were your kids age, as the weather was hot and the vehicle was a VW camper van. I enjoyed getting soaked by them while I was driving, and everything evaporated do no 'clean-up'. We ended up going 7500 miles as we were having so much fun, but... the kids finally grew tired and cried for 3 straight days heading home. I guess sitting in wet diapers in clunky carseats has it's limits...

I just love WY, so be sure to fit as many of these routes in as possible. (Scenic Byways . org)
Wyoming

You can easily fit in Beartooth, Bighorns, Snowy Range on the inbound and Flaming Gorge, Bridger, Star Valley + (bear lake, UT / ID) on the outbound (while still doing I-70 on it's prettiest part). It is really neat for the kids to get in the midst of a cattle or sheep drive, which has happened numerous times for us on these routes. I rarely stick to freeway unless I'm in a HUGE hurry (funeral or wedding). WA to CO is really only a day's drive (24hrs; 18hrs PDX>Den) so you have 2 days each way to 'explore'. Growing up in Colorado, I spent countless days exploring all the roads via motorcycle / bedroll. I'm a nut for seeing everything, so my 800 mile newspaper rte for Denver Post during college was my favorite job of all times!. (not on a bicycle, thankfully)

Old 06-03-2010, 11:04 PM

StealthRabbit-

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! Excellent suggestions! I was thinking of exploring WY a little more than I have in the past. That scenic byways link is great. Thanks again!

We are going be leaving June 18th for a couple of weeks. Interestingly enough, I too will be in a Volkswagen though not a Bus. We have a Eurovan Westfalia (pic attached) which we absolutely adore.

-Landon
Attached Thumbnails
Roadtrip: Seattle, WA-ID-MT-WY-CO then CO-UT-ID-OR-WA-vwevwk.jpg  

Old 06-04-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by landon1850 View Post
We are going be leaving June 18th for a couple of weeks. Interestingly enough, I too will be in a Volkswagen though not a Bus. We have a Eurovan Westfalia (pic attached) which we absolutely adore. -Landon
Have you added a tranny cooler to that EV? (lots of info and discussions on Yahoo groups - EV and Rialta Tech)

If you don't have a ScangageII (and it is the appropriate yr 97+ I think) then you may want one for your trip (Let me know I have a spare I could lend).

VW wasn't too considerate of cooling needs of the auto tranny, and Winnebago added to the issue with the Motoraid HW heater plumbing. Europe issued a recall, but not North America (too many automatics here). Most Rialta owners have gone to 40k tranny fluid changes, and I have changed to Amsoil as it is more heat tolerant than Petosin (VW insists it is a 'sealed' tranny and good for 'lifetime'). I also have an external tranny cooler. The scangage really helps you identify troublesome driving habits and risky conditions.

Basically I only use D on open and flat roads, 3 and 2 for city driving and hills. The tranny gets really hot (250F+) running in D (as auto OD lets torque converter slip and make extra heat.

Some favorite spots in Colorado to see are:
Garden of God's (CS)
Independence Pass (Aspen)
Maroon Bells (Aspen / Snowmass)
Glenwood Springs (hot pools, but kids are probably too young to 'enjoy')
287 (Laramie to Ft Collins)

Some trip to So CO (fall or spring, NOT summer) you will want to fit in UT parks.
Arches and Bryce are pretty spectacular. I also like the desert reprieve of Great Basin and Lassen (CA) NP's

Old 06-04-2010, 10:05 AM

StealthRabbit: Once again, thanks for your great input. I've spread out the maps in front of me and am slowly formulating a route.

Thankfully, I don't have to mess with all that tranny stuff since mine is the 5cyl 5spd. I do frequent the Yahoo groups, though, and they are full of great advice. Thanks!

Everyone: How about places to eat along the way that I just can't miss? I'm a huge fan of BBQ, but we like just about anything. Would have to be toddler friendly.

Thanks!

-Landon

Old 06-05-2010, 10:45 AM

21,368 posts, read 38,127,072 times
This is something that I'd do...

Seattle, WA to Denver, CO - Google Maps

This route includes Craters of the Moon National Monument, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. I've driven through these areas in the past three years from Alaska.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post

This route includes Craters of the Moon National Monument, Grand Tetons, and Yellowstone. I've driven through these areas in the past three years from Alaska.
I like that route, but would change Cody > Casper (since kids are probably too young to appreciate Thermopolis) to Powell, Lovell, Dayton, Sheridan. 14a is one of my favorite routes in WY I also think the NE of Yellowstone is great and less traveled. East entrance is a zoo. But do see the Tetons while you are close, and as soon as kids are old enough do a float trip on the Snake River from Jackson Dam south through Teton NP. Take your own water craft for a really nice adventure and wildlife experience.

Another RTE alternative is Shoshoni to Rawlins / Saratoga (free hot springs), and across Snowy Range to Centennial / Laramie, then 287 to Ft Collins. I do like the park in Encampment, WY while you are close. (reconstructed historical village)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel