Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,763,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
Once again, there is always the option of manually putting the card details into the card machine or computer. That is never going to change.
Yes it is going to change, and it has already been changing. The whole purpose of going to chip and PIN is to combat fraud. When a merchant manually enters a credit card number, it bypasses the security features of the chip (and of the mag stripe for that matter) and increase their own risk of eating the loss. That's a risk they may be willing to take if you're buying a cup of coffee and a scone. But more merchants are refusing to take that risk for larger purchases. Fraudsters have already taken advantage of this "loophole" by embedding a fake chip in the card and then asking the merchant to revert to the mag stripe or manual entry claiming the chip "doesn't work." Merchants are gradually catching on to this trick and insisting on a card with a functioning chip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,750,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yes it is going to change, and it has already been changing. The whole purpose of going to chip and PIN is to combat fraud. When a merchant manually enters a credit card number, it bypasses the security features of the chip (and of the mag stripe for that matter) and increase their own risk of eating the loss. That's a risk they may be willing to take if you're buying a cup of coffee and a scone. But more merchants are refusing to take that risk for larger purchases. Fraudsters have already taken advantage of this "loophole" by embedding a fake chip in the card and then asking the merchant to revert to the mag stripe or manual entry claiming the chip "doesn't work." Merchants are gradually catching on to this trick and insisting on a card with a functioning chip.
So if the card machine breaks, the business is just going to function without being able to take cards until it's repaired or replaced? Yeah right.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:58 AM

Some will, some won't. You act like it's unheard of.

But what do I know, I only worked in the credit card industry for several years.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:07 AM

10,196 posts, read 17,750,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Some will, some won't.
That's my very point... not ALL businesses will drop the option of manual input. Some will, some won't... the fact that some won't means it will never be impossible for someone with a strip card to use it during their travels. At least not before the US switches to chip and pin too. So I'm not convinced it's something people have to hugely worry about in the near future.

Old 06-05-2010, 05:09 AM

I didn't see anyone here saying it would be impossible, so you're swatting at phantoms.

Carry on.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:08 PM

218 posts, read 467,409 times
Default credit cards out of US

We called our credit card co. before we left to go to Canada to let them know it was us that would be using them out of our billing zip code. They said with all the ID fraud they wouldn't go thru unless we inform them first. Since alot of fraud is in other countries try calling the CC co before you leave. They will tell you what to do. Maybe prepaid cards would be better away from home.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 PM

9,317 posts, read 20,912,377 times
PrePaid card go thru the same systems (and fraud checks) and good luck getting a human to talk to from overseas, I just call my CC card service center when I'm going overseas, They note it in my account so fraud check software, takes that into account when it see transactions. It still will watch them, and if it think something is weard its going to stop it. ie: you attempt to buy thousands of High end electronics, when only other transactions are Hotels, food ....

Old 06-12-2010, 07:27 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,293 posts, read 16,118,603 times
I didn't really know about informing the cc banks that I was travelling and just happened to call two of them to find out the international transaction fees. Then they asked me my travel dates, etc. and said they would put a alert on the account so the card wouldn't be blocked. Hmmm.

So...........anyone travelling to Russia? Discover is not accepted AT ALL. Discover also does not provide travel insurance benefits. Only travel Assistance. I'll be using one Visa card and the ATM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel