Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM

5 posts, read 13,292 times

Advertisements

Our little family has been living here about 7 months now and we had to leave our dog back in Vancouver because this place is so incredibly not pet friendly. I wonder if renters know that if they would just allow a friendly dog, they might actually have a chance of renting their property.

Our lease at our current place is up in July and at that point we WILL be bringing our dog over to be with us. Does anyone know of any places that are DOG as well as CAT friendly? We want to get out of the apartment scene so we are looking for a house or duplex. My boyfriend has a great job out at Hanford, so we have stable income. Our animals are extremely well behaved. Litter box trained and house trained. And no chewing.

Also, does anyone know why this place isn't pet friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2011, 07:07 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,072,247 times
Your dog may be well behaved, but in general dogs of people who rent are not. Just sayin'. A dog can in general do more damage than a cat, although cats can make a mess too. We have cats, but own the house.

You may want to look at buying a small house.

The rental market is tight around here, landlords do not have to cater to tenants to fill up the properties.

Just sayin'

Old 03-18-2011, 02:41 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
Because landlords don't want to deal with the consequences of pet friendliness, and I can see why. In my Seattle days, I moved into two apartments previously inhabited by cat owners. Both were riddled with fleas, and I mean riddled. As for dogs, they tend to leave a lingering stink unless obsessive cleanliness is practiced, plus hair everywhere. If I were a landlord, I would not only prohibit pets, I'd arrange a good excuse to check for unauthorized ones on a regular basis, and if people had one, I wouldn't ask them to get rid of it. I'd serve them a twenty-day boot notice (allowed under Washington law).

Old 03-21-2011, 08:34 PM

15 posts, read 44,604 times
Occasionally I have seen places that allow pets. You may need to make an offer of a non-refundable pet deposit. It wouldn't hurt to have letters of reference to give to landlords that include information from people on how you handle your pets - something along the lines of "They always kept the yard clean, didn't allow the dog to bark, took it with them when they went on vacation or arranged for it to be boarded or pet sat...."

Old 03-27-2011, 10:02 AM

82 posts, read 325,080 times
It's definately tough to find anywhere with pets. As an owner of rentals I understand the reasons why since we never really know what we're in for until it's all said and done. We also are pet lovers and take our dog (hairless) everywhere. Our policy is requiring a pet fee that's non-refundable and an additional pet deposit that is refundable, you offering to do so could definately help. Putting in writing the ways in which you will be responsible for your pet's noise and mess would be a good idea as well. Our guests have had some pretty awesome pets and we view them as part of their family but it always is a bit scary for us. We are only short-term rental owners though. This means we get to go in frequently for maintenance and restocking and get to know our guests and their pets well enough to know if there's going to be an issue. We don't go in as inspectors and don't care if our guests are messy but we still get an idea of how things run and will know if any actual damage is happening. You may offer the landlord opportunities to come by monthly for awhile as well and have a probationary lease period. As they get to know your whole family they may relax.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:48 AM

52 posts, read 158,446 times
It's a bear to find pet friendly around here for sure...and like other said, a lot of people have pets who do damage. I can understand the reasons even if I am not fond myself (having a dog and two cats).

Just call around. We had to go round with our landlord to allow us our pets...there were contingencies such as a high, non-refundable deposit and she had to meet the animals first...but she did allow them. But frankly no pets seems to be the least crazy of all the rules I have seen in leases since moving here.

It's a really tight rental market and landlords seem really uptight about things such as (for example by way of my own lease and friends who rent) not allowing guests at the house at all, no pets, the right to unannounced visits, no outside toys in the yard, no satellite dishes on the roof, etc... Personally, coming from an area with a huge rental market chalk full of landlords even willing to allow you to change paint colors, this is an adjustment, but it is what it is.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:29 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times
It would actually be a really good tactic for local landlords to allow pets but with a gigantic deposit (four figures for sure). People would fork over, they love their pets, there is a shortage of housing and a greater shortage of places that will put up with a pet. Plus, being able to lay out a deposit like that would be a pretty good indicator of ability to pay rent.

Of course, they'd kick and scream, but that's capitalism, take it or leave it; supply and demand. And if they were poor, they'd moan how this was so not fair. Then they'd turn right around and vote to be poorer, showing the lack of deductive reasoning that keeps them poor to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities