Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2015, 10:28 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,870,959 times

Advertisements

OK, cool. I respect your opinion. I would only add on to your post that many find the area perfect for them, perhaps not for you. I would like to be your age again, but that ain't goin' to happen. I said I won't debate, and I won't. However, I would advise you to explore other parts of the country and then eventually make a decision of what is right for you. Sometimes, seeing other areas makes you realize where you really want to be. Many times, it is back where you started. But not always. Best of luck.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 05-16-2015 at 10:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2015, 11:43 AM

348 posts, read 1,051,361 times
Okay, I moved to Yakima on March 2012 and then moved to Kennewick (one of four cities of Tri-Cities of Washington) after growing up in Ohio and residing in DC,MD, DE, PA for 68 years. I am telling you that the weather in Eastern Washington is SUPERB. Good bye to high humidity. Imagine that I wore a heavy winter jacket three times since March 2012, although I must wear it during skiing.

Liberal portion???? I am deeply sorry that I could not find the Liberal area. Perhaps you will consider Walla Walla, home of the Whitman College.

Spiders?? I have not seen any one within the city limits in both Yakima and Kennewick. The BIGGEST news for you is that I have not seen any stink bug since arriving in Yakima in 2012. Oh, bother about stink bugs back to Mid-Atlantic area.

Old 05-17-2015, 12:25 PM

40 posts, read 57,408 times
The stinks bucks haven't invaded there yet? I wonder what life is like without stink bugs crawling around your home.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:15 PM

9 posts, read 9,964 times
Also if you're looking for liberal the tri-cities is not the place to move. Much to my annoyance, this place is very conservative. Even the people who identify as liberal around here tend to be more conservative.

Old 05-17-2015, 04:19 PM

9 posts, read 9,964 times
I will add I've never had someone be overly aggressive about my views but people aren't going to respect your views if you say anything about them. The younger generation there's a lot of libertarian types but libertarians are just republicans who smoke weed lmao.

Old 05-18-2015, 09:07 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,456,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark17 View Post
The stinks bucks haven't invaded there yet? I wonder what life is like without stink bugs crawling around your home.
A previous poster may not have seen spiders, but I had to spray a spider barrier each year at my home in Kennewick. It was easier than daily shouts of spousal panic summoning me from whatever I was doing to rush in and slay the monster. No stink bugs, though, it is true.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:22 PM

215 posts, read 877,792 times
It's a very old-fashioned, conservative, behind-the-times, live-and-let-live, agricultural mid-sized community. The kind of place where people would rather spend the weekend in their yard instead of going out for a night on the town. Hence, not much to do or see.

There aren't many liberals, and the big hobo spiders aren't found on this side of the Cascades.

People will try to rave about the weather...it IS the best in the Northwest....but still has major drawbacks (dust, wind, cold(er) winters, etc). Don't buy into the "300 days of sunshine a year" garbage....that is a flat out lie that no one ever bothers to try to substantiate.

If you have been to Seattle or Portland, try to imagine the complete polar opposite of those areas in every way/shape/form - that's TC.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
It's a very old-fashioned, conservative, behind-the-times, live-and-let-live, agricultural mid-sized community. The kind of place where people would rather spend the weekend in their yard instead of going out for a night on the town. Hence, not much to do or see.

There aren't many liberals, and the big hobo spiders aren't found on this side of the Cascades.

People will try to rave about the weather...it IS the best in the Northwest....but still has major drawbacks (dust, wind, cold(er) winters, etc). Don't buy into the "300 days of sunshine a year" garbage....that is a flat out lie that no one ever bothers to try to substantiate.

If you have been to Seattle or Portland, try to imagine the complete polar opposite of those areas in every way/shape/form - that's TC.
Yes you caught us! The 300 days of sunshine include partly cloudy days. Oh my. Compare that to the 200+ cloudy days on the westside. And those don't include partly cloudy days.

The average high temp is higher in the Tri-Cities for atleast 7 months of the year, so on average, Tri is warmer than the westside. Don't get me wrong, The Tri-Cities can get cold, but so can the westside. The chances of either getting it probably are somewhat more likely in the Tri, but most cold systems in the Northwest affect all of the state. In my six years in TC in the 90's we saw about as much snow as Seattle got during the period. The only difference was it was drier, and drifted a bit more.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:38 PM

215 posts, read 877,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Yes you caught us! The 300 days of sunshine include partly cloudy days. Oh my.
I challenge you to find ANY piece of real data that proves this area has 300 days of sunshine a year. You can't, because it doesn't exist. It's one of the TC's few urban myths that no one dares question because it feels good to say it. Gives residents something to distract them from the areas drawbacks.

Old 05-18-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
I challenge you to find ANY piece of real data that proves this area has 300 days of sunshine a year. You can't, because it doesn't exist. It's one of the TC's few urban myths that no one dares question because it feels good to say it. Gives residents something to distract them from the areas drawbacks.
Well, I think I just explained it. The 300 days include partly cloudy days. I'm not sure what more I can add. And "drawbacks" are extremely subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities