Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:41 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,436,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I can get to Portland in under 3 hours, and Seattle in about 3.5 using 240 to Vantage.

Quirky? OK, I guess I missed the OP's point. However, how do you define "quirky"? I think you can find this in almost every area, perhaps Portland DOES have an advantage! However, I have found plenty of "quirky" folks in the Tri-Cities. You just need to look beyond the strip malls, or not.
We're all "quirky" - it just depends on how many others share what we do or don't do. Posting at CDF is quirky in a way, not everyone does it.

I agree, pnwguy2, I think people can find quirky anywhere. What could be challenging is to draw the line of bizarre, odd, highly unusual vs. just "quirky."

BTW, congratulations pnwguy2, on reaching your first 1,000 posts I have a hunch of what that milestone may mean to you

Good luck, OP, finding where you want to be. Visit ahead of time and I think you will know what feels right.

MSR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 12:46 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,873,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
We're all "quirky" - it just depends on how many others share what we do or don't do. Posting at CDF is quirky in a way, not everyone does it.

I agree, pnwguy2, I think people can find quirky anywhere. What could be challenging is to draw the line of bizarre, odd, highly unusual vs. just "quirky."

BTW, congratulations pnwguy2, on reaching your first 1,000 posts I have a hunch of what that milestone may mean to you

Good luck, OP, finding where you want to be. Visit ahead of time and I think you will know what feels right.

MSR
Actually I knew I was getting up there, but didn't realize my last post was 1,000, and this post was 1,001.
Thanks...that is a pretty quirky response!

Old 02-10-2016, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Actually I knew I was getting up there, but didn't realize my last post was 1,000, and this post was 1,001.
Thanks...that is a pretty quirky response!
Exactly my point

Old 02-11-2016, 11:14 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Positives are low crime, good schools, low cost of living, many high paying jobs and it does have some good farmers markets. Negatives are it's ugly, a bit small and remote (for my preference), not quirky enough(feels like it was built and designed by engineers and there were no artists to give it a flair), not enough good restaurants. Climate to me is maybe average....summers are sunny and though hot in the day they cool at night, Fall is pleasant but winters are a bit cold and dreary and Spring gets too much wind.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Positives are low crime, good schools, low cost of living, many high paying jobs and it does have some good farmers markets. Negatives are it's ugly, a bit small and remote (for my preference), not quirky enough(feels like it was built and designed by engineers and there were no artists to give it a flair), not enough good restaurants. Climate to me is maybe average....summers are sunny and though hot in the day they cool at night, Fall is pleasant but winters are a bit cold and dreary and Spring gets too much wind.
"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. I actually think the Columbia Basin (not a popular term), is actually quite beautiful. But again, different strokes...

Not to be repetitive in the thread, but weather is very decent compared to almost everywhere in the PNW. Dust storms are perhaps the worst feature, but happen less than they did 30 years ago. Beyond that, expect mostly mild winters, warm springs and falls, yes with a cooling wind, and yes, hot summers, but no humidity. (Which I kind of love).

I don't think we can discount the fact that Tri-Cities is the fastest growing area in WA, and homes are currently being sold in days.

If you need top rate culture, top restaurants, and artists everywhere, then yeah, you are probably in the wrong place. However, if you want a low COL, great weather most of the year, and an educated populous that tends to be accepting of all, then Tri-Cities is perfect.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 02-11-2016 at 11:39 PM..

Old 02-12-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
There probably is some truth in stating the buildings were designed by engineers. I think there was a reference to the Hanford houses on page one.

It's always hard to know what to include in rather vague information as the OP has shared. Everything is relevant to where the person has lived previously, things they can't live without, things that would be nice but aren't must haves, how good is the job offer, how solid and for how long. Plus there are factors for the partner too. Would that person's work or other needs be met in Tri-Cities. I think those considering the move have to visit to know if it works for them.

I saw some national data that backs up what pnwguy2 is saying about being the fast growing area of WA.

Also, I don't recall the OP giving us a rough age range. People of different ages need different things. Newer works may want different things than those who have worked decades.

Natural beauty is subjective to each person. The OP could probably check temps via The Weather Channel (weather.com) or on the regular City Data pages that don't have the forum.

What industries do you see as growing and offering the high paying jobs? When one can't get a high paying job elsewhere, I would imagine one in Tri-Cities makes the area much more appealing.

MSR

Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 AM

Quote:
"Ugly" is in the eye of the beholder. I actually think the Columbia Basin (not a popular term), is actually quite beautiful. But again, different strokes...

Not to be repetitive in the thread, but weather is very decent compared to almost everywhere in the PNW. Dust storms are perhaps the worst feature, but happen less than they did 30 years ago. Beyond that, expect mostly mild winters, warm springs and falls, yes with a cooling wind, and yes, hot summers, but no humidity. (Which I kind of love).

I don't think we can discount the fact that Tri-Cities is the fastest growing area in WA, and homes are currently being sold in days.

If you need top rate culture, top restaurants, and artists everywhere, then yeah, you are probably in the wrong place. However, if you want a low COL, great weather most of the year, and an educated populous that tends to be accepting of all, then Tri-Cities is perfect.
This probably fits better in a different thread, but I'll post here given what you wrote about the real estate market.

Have you seen any of the national financial news about housing starting to slow down as we're learning we're not really out of a recission yet (per increasing, expert views)? These were comments about the entire US, so housing starts and sales will probably remain high in high growth areas, such as T-C. I'm no real estate pro, rather I do remember what starter slow in first iN 2008. Just check out some national data, if you haven't seen/heard it already.

MSR

Last edited by Mtn. States Resident; 02-12-2016 at 01:40 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 06:17 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
There probably is some truth in stating the buildings were designed by engineers. I think there was a reference to the Hanford houses on page one.

It's always hard to know what to include in rather vague information as the OP has shared. Everything is relevant to where the person has lived previously, things they can't live without, things that would be nice but aren't must haves, how good is the job offer, how solid and for how long. Plus there are factors for the partner too. Would that person's work or other needs be met in Tri-Cities. I think those considering the move have to visit to know if it works for them.

I saw some national data that backs up what pnwguy2 is saying about being the fast growing area of WA.

Also, I don't recall the OP giving us a rough age range. People of different ages need different things. Newer works may want different things than those who have worked decades.

Natural beauty is subjective to each person. The OP could probably check temps via The Weather Channel (weather.com) or on the regular City Data pages that don't have the forum.

What industries do you see as growing and offering the high paying jobs? When one can't get a high paying job elsewhere, I would imagine one in Tri-Cities makes the area much more appealing.

MSR
Tri Cities have a high average income for a smaller metro area due to Battelle and Hanford as well as the fact it's a fast growing region so additional services are needed each year.

Definitely the Alphabet houses is part of the similarness you will see in housing and businesses in TRi Cities. They need some artists and architects to design more interesting buildings and structures.

I don't know how anyone can think Tri Cities is beautiful but okay. Climate is subjective and my opinion is average at best but better than west of the Cascades. Right now, I'm in southern Spain in shorts, barefoot and t shirt looking at the Mediterranean so hard for me to think Tri Cities matches.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM

4 posts, read 3,784 times
This is all very nice! Thank you very much for sharing here. I wasn't aiming to be too vague.

If things progress, then we will definitely be out there for a visit. Our expectations are not rigid. Every place has its strengths and weaknesses and I think we'd "fit in" fine. A real asset, regardless of one's background, is that there seems to be a reasonable acceptance and friendliness there. My recent interactions haven't disabused me of that impression.

I lived in the rural South (Tennessee and Southern Indiana) once upon a time. As a North-Midwest guy, I did really struggle there. The social and judgmental gulf was noticeably uncomfortable.

The job would be, potentially, at Columbia Basin College. I was impressed with their online materials and thought they were doing really good, effective work. My partner has done office admin for a while, and there are no shortages anywhere of places in need of experienced generalist staff. She would have decent options I think.

We are looking at other areas, but the obvious lower cost of living, overall health of area, and a community that isn't restrictive or overly closed seems very positive to us. After living in a maximally liberal place (Madison), yes there are amenities, but also expense and when working 9-5 plus, how much culture could I reasonably experience. If we want full-on "liberal-land" like Madison, a day or weekend trip to Portland is ok. If we want rural desert, it's there. Mountains, check, even if a few hours away.

We'd miss the cheese, but such is life.

Again, thank you all.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:57 PM

Thanks, Hound-daddy. Remember some of the posters here are comparing Tri-Cities to Seattle and/or Portland, or somewhere else. It all comes down to what is important to you. I think this thread is very balanced, but only you can make a final decision. A visit would be great, but even that will not be enough compared to actually living here for a number of months.
But I would guess 8 out of 10 would stay. (No I am not a member of the Chamber of Commerce!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities