Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 09:27 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,884,129 times

Advertisements

Not sure I understand...397 is not a local highway. 395 is and crosses the Columbia over The Blue Bridge south to north and up to I-90 at Ritzville, WA. I-182 is an east/west interstate spur from 395 to I-82, passing through Pasco and Richland.

Interstate numbers are odd running north/south, and even running east/west. I hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 10:32 PM

8,440 posts, read 13,442,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Not sure I understand...397 is not a local highway. 395 is and crosses the Columbia over The Blue Bridge south to north and up to I-90 at Ritzville, WA. I-182 is an east/west interstate spur from 395 to I-82, passing through Pasco and Richland.

Interstate numbers are odd running north/south, and even running east/west. I hope that helps!
Well, considering it is me and maps, I'd say there is maybe an 90% chance I got 395 wrong or had auto-correct. I'm going to check my history to see if I can find that map again. If it is printed as 397 I'll post the link so you can see it.

It's not that I'm a space cadet, it is that I'm thinking about other things (like what type of commercial vessels use the rivers etc.). I do end up where I'm going. Some people love to drive....it's relaxing for them. Some of us are better passengers partly because we had someone driving who insisted on driving so we adapted.

The thing about the road numbering for the entire U.S. like Interstates in multiple states, is you wrote something like how numbers are selected. I've forgotten just enough to not know how to search this clearly. It was something like how come the number Interstates get numbered with 310, 280, 360 etc. are (I'm not saying those are all WA, just trying to give you some examples). Would it matter how far south or north an Interstate was in a state? Or maybe it was the order the roads were built, with the first getting a lower number. I'll stop because I don't want to frustrate you given what I partially remember. Sorry in advance if I did.

I did a search on the rivers here. Read what looked like a promising thread. It did have some info about the recreational uses of the rivers. The last post was one of yours 7/4/2015. I think I won't search more. "The middle of nowhere," is subjective.

Thanks for your efforts trying to help me with the roads. I appreciate your help and wish I could remember that missing piece about Interstate Numbers etc.

MSR

Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Most "regular" Interstates have 2 digit numbers, or one, odd numbers go more or less N-S, start low on the West Coast with I-5, go up to I-95 on East Coast, even numbers go E-W, start low in the South with I-10, go up to I-40 that roughly parallels the Canadian border. Three-digit Interstates are ring roads around large cities, for example 285 around Atlanta.

Is that what you were wondering? Seems to me this is too simple and you have a more involved question.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:43 PM

I-82 in WA, and its spur of 182 in the Tri is weird as it is a number lower than I-84 in Oregon. Most of the time the E/W numbers are higher the further north you go. I-82 perhaps should have been numbered I-86, but its proximity to I-86 in Idaho (from I-84 east to Pocatello), probably was the reason for the "82" choice. But I-88 would have been available at the time, (the closest identical number would be in Illinois, but I digress.) Yes, I am a highway geek.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:28 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
I'm not sure I'd say SR 397 is one of the main routes. It's sort of an industrial cutoff connecting the Pasco freeways to Finley, then back to I-82. I don't know the full rationale for its construction and recent improvements, but it does permit a truck to skip Kennewick and traffic lights, so that's probably it. There is some industry in southern Finley that it also serves. For me, when I am coming to Kennewick from 82, I usually bear off on 397 because I'm usually going to eastern Kennewick or to Burbank.

Old 06-21-2016, 10:09 AM

Oh, THAT 397! Out of sight out of mind...my error.

Old 06-21-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I'm not sure I'd say SR 397 is one of the main routes. It's sort of an industrial cutoff connecting the Pasco freeways to Finley, then back to I-82. I don't know the full rationale for its construction and recent improvements, but it does permit a truck to skip Kennewick and traffic lights, so that's probably it. There is some industry in southern Finley that it also serves. For me, when I am coming to Kennewick from 82, I usually bear off on 397 because I'm usually going to eastern Kennewick or to Burbank.
Another "service with a smile" j.k.k.?

Your knowledge is always helpful and appreciated

MSR

Old 06-21-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Most "regular" Interstates have 2 digit numbers, or one, odd numbers go more or less N-S, start low on the West Coast with I-5, go up to I-95 on East Coast, even numbers go E-W, start low in the South with I-10, go up to I-40 that roughly parallels the Canadian border. Three-digit Interstates are ring roads around large cities, for example 285 around Atlanta.

Is that what you were wondering? Seems to me this is too simple and you have a more involved question.
Thanks Mitch. You gave me the two words I couldn't remember. Consequently I was able to search for what I wanted to know. It's always good to have many who know post

MSR

Old 06-22-2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I'm not sure I'd say SR 397 is one of the main routes. I don't know the full rationale for its construction and recent improvements, but it does permit a truck to skip Kennewick and traffic lights, so that's probably it. There is some industry in southern Finley that it also serves. For me, when I am coming to Kennewick from 82, I usually bear off on 397 because I'm usually going to eastern Kennewick or to Burbank.

j.k.k.

It sounds like it may save time or traffic congestion. This is Wiki's summary

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wash...tate_Route_397

MSR

Old 06-22-2016, 12:34 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times
Seems reasonable to me. I kind of like taking it just because there's so little traffic. I'd say everyone in Finley is automatically familiar with it. Southeast Kennewick, mostly. Northeast Kennewick, east Pasco, somewhat. People who mainly hang out in West Richland probably would say: "This all presumes I feel some motivation to go to Finley. Your premise is in error." I had to go there a lot because our baseball league played a lot of games at River View, and after I got stove up and became an official scorer for the league, I was out there trying to stay away from spectators wanting to ask me the score.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities