Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 06:05 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,360 times

Advertisements

OK I'm not saying this is universal but I still hear it a lot. Why do people seem to hate Pasco? Sure it has its problems but its not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Just surf through some of the T-C threads and you will see what I mean. It annoys me when I hear these insults about my hometown!

Things I hear:

1) Pasco has the most crime
-In reality Kennewick does have more crime

2)Pasco's schools are all bad
-They aren't bad, but have a high amount of students that don't have the resources or motivation at home to do well. In fact Pasco High was put in the top 5% of high schools in the USA for AP graduation

3)Pasco is a slum
-I'll admit it, a large part of the city can be considered a slum, but there are also middle to high class areas as well.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm tired of hearing people on the streets and some on this forum that insult my town. I know that Pasco is not the only town that some people like to dislike, but it being my hometown I just have to speak up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 02:12 PM

215 posts, read 877,590 times
The majority of the people you hear complaining about Pasco are the dinosaur residents of Richland and Kennewick who are scared by anyone that isn't white, conservative, and exactly like them. I know. I grew up in Richland and wouldn't EVER consider moving back.

The geezers that choose to continually project their hate and racism toward Pasco are first and foremost apparently unaware that Pasco extends West of 20th street. And for the rest of Pasco that lies to the East, well, does a different culture automatically make a place a "slum"?!?! I am white and shop frequently in Downtown Pasco and find it to be a great place with a unique culture and very friendly people. Never once had a problem.

To me, Pasco is a very diverse city with a great atmosphere. My neighborhood is a very safe, quiet place with a mix of several different races, religions, lifestyles, etc, and I love it. My kids aren't growing up in some sheltered little town but instead are getting a good dose of culture which everyone should have.

I challenge those who diss Pasco: have you ever lived there? Better yet, when was the last time you visited? I think I know the answer...

Old 07-20-2008, 10:43 PM

5 posts, read 24,897 times
[quote=mustang34;2880279]OK I'm not saying this is universal but I still hear it a lot. Why do people seem to hate Pasco? Sure it has its problems but its not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Just surf through some of the T-C threads and you will see what I mean. It annoys me when I hear these insults about my hometown!

Maybe people diss Pasco because they have had terrible experiences there. Pasco has a bad reputation, thats nothing new.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:25 PM

40 posts, read 177,515 times
Pasco has good and bad like any other area; however ( you knew this was coming! ) it seems to have more bad / rough associated with it. I grew up in LA and I see the same things happening in Pasco as they did in East LA 15 years ago. I respect culture and diversity, but I don't like to see signs and people speaking and expecting to be spoken to in their native tongue.

Old 07-22-2008, 12:06 AM

371 posts, read 1,760,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang34 View Post
OK I'm not saying this is universal but I still hear it a lot. Why do people seem to hate Pasco? Sure it has its problems but its not as bad as some people seem to think it is. Just surf through some of the T-C threads and you will see what I mean. It annoys me when I hear these insults about my hometown!

Things I hear:

1) Pasco has the most crime
-In reality Kennewick does have more crime

2)Pasco's schools are all bad
-They aren't bad, but have a high amount of students that don't have the resources or motivation at home to do well. In fact Pasco High was put in the top 5% of high schools in the USA for AP graduation

3)Pasco is a slum
-I'll admit it, a large part of the city can be considered a slum, but there are also middle to high class areas as well.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but I'm tired of hearing people on the streets and some on this forum that insult my town. I know that Pasco is not the only town that some people like to dislike, but it being my hometown I just have to speak up.
Thank you. You are my new best friend.

Why does Pasco have such a bad rep?

Back in the segregation days, blacks were "exiled" to Pasco. Explain a lot doesnt it? I hate it, but thats our America :|

MW is right, way too many conservatists in Richland, not so many in Kenn,
but since I know Spanish and am learning Russian, I feel right at home in the Hispanic and Russian communities in TC. I really like languages. Im also learning German. Languages really break down culture barriers, something a few idiots dont want to do.

You are not so correct about the school thing though. PHS has a dropout rate of 42%. Thats just PHS though, the rest of the schools are fine .

Honestly though, although Pasco is the "slumiest" of the 3, it looks nicer than a real Ghetto (ever been to the Bronx 0_0 ? )

Old 07-22-2008, 12:23 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevenml155 View Post
Pasco has good and bad like any other area; however ( you knew this was coming! ) it seems to have more bad / rough associated with it. I grew up in LA and I see the same things happening in Pasco as they did in East LA 15 years ago. I respect culture and diversity, but I don't like to see signs and people speaking and expecting to be spoken to in their native tongue.
Exactly, KNDU news seems to speak of Pasco weekly...all towns have better places to hang your hat than others...but Pasco does get a bad rap compared to Richland and Kennewick...Let's all get along hey... and be more positive...

Old 07-22-2008, 12:44 AM

I think people should let go of the past and learn to have a more open mind. This whole bad rep is the product of primitive thinking, one that should have been erased a long time ago. If people let go of that, theyd see Pasco isnt really different from other ares of TC

Old 07-25-2008, 07:01 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
You are not so correct about the school thing though. PHS has a dropout rate of 42%. Thats just PHS though, the rest of the schools are fine .
Actually it's been in the newspaper. Yes, the overall grad rate is not good but the Advanced Placement program, for students who are above average in some subjects, is excellent in Pasco High.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:14 PM

Thats true. Im a senior.

Although...
Every year, 900 walk in, and about 400 walk out

Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times
Pasco does have a barrio part, as does east Kennewick, but it has a lot of character. It's the only one of the cities with any significant civic spirit. Part of that is that Kennewick and Richland were sundown towns, so if you had melanin, you had to live in Pasco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities