Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2016, 02:17 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,458,564 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. States Resident View Post
I agree with pnwguy2 because j.k.k.'s post is true and most people in Chicago and probably 45 or more states would toss the "Portland Pizza," as described.
Definition of uncomfortable: you go all the way across town to eat at a place because it's run by the son of a dear friend. It specializes in Portland pizza. Naturally, the manager/son will make a grateful appearance to check on you. You have no choice but to praise the dime-thin sprinkled meat-of-some-sort tiny-bits-of-cheese plus bunches-of-sundried-tomato pizza, because if you told the truth--"Jesus H. Christ, you have the gall to call this pizza?"--souls would be crushed.

And now you see why I just call Round Table, which will bring me a real pizza--here in Aloverton, just as they did in Kennewick for well over a decade.

One Real Pizza in the TC is at Casa Mia, the Casa Mia Special. It has plenty of cheese. It has plenty of meat. It has shrooms, but life is not fair, and they can be disregarded. Casa Mia is not the best pizza I've ever had, but as the TC go, it's top shelf. Little known gem: go to Casa Mia and ask for the antipasto salad with roquefort and anchovies. It's no longer on the menu but they will still do it. This is the best salad in the TC, no debate. It is one of the few that would be in business in a bigger city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2016, 08:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
I will add that "Brickhouse" in West Richland seems to be quite popular. I have only taken out once, and I screwed up my order so I didn't really care for it, but that was my fault. I could tell though their ingredients are good, and the crowd in there proves that this place is superior in the Tri. On Van Giesen near city center, only a couple miles off the 240 bypass.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:10 PM

The officiating crew in the TCABL used to have its annual season-end pizza fest at the Brickhouse, and I was one of the official scorers, so I was in attendance. Good food, good brews.

Old 09-05-2016, 08:49 AM

8,440 posts, read 13,437,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Definition of uncomfortable: you go all the way across town to eat at a place because it's run by the son of a dear friend. It specializes in Portland pizza. Naturally, the manager/son will make a grateful appearance to check on you. You have no choice but to praise the dime-thin sprinkled meat-of-some-sort tiny-bits-of-cheese plus bunches-of-sundried-tomato pizza, because if you told the truth--"Jesus H. Christ, you have the gall to call this pizza?"--souls would be crushed.

And now you see why I just call Round Table, which will bring me a real pizza--here in Aloverton, just as they did in Kennewick for well over a decade.

One Real Pizza in the TC is at Casa Mia, the Casa Mia Special. It has plenty of cheese. It has plenty of meat. It has shrooms, but life is not fair, and they can be disregarded. Casa Mia is not the best pizza I've ever had, but as the TC go, it's top shelf. Little known gem: go to Casa Mia and ask for the antipasto salad with roquefort and anchovies. It's no longer on the menu but they will still do it. This is the best salad in the TC, no debate. It is one of the few that would be in business in a bigger city.
j.k.k.,

Your post cracked me up laughing I suppose the pending question is will you return? Is your close friendship with the parent worth the return visit knowing what is waiting for you? If your answer is yes can you order side dishes, like a salad, and drinks enough to claim you are too full for Portland Pizza?

MSR

Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopac1980 View Post
Old Chicago Pizza & Taproom
Mopac,

While some business plans are changing for restaurants it seems with many their expansion plans always start with the largest cities in any new state for the franchise. Or if they already have limited restaurants in a state, expansion to other areas seem to still depend on cities with the next largest populations (like a second tier of cities).

One observation about the Tri-Cities area, which is strictly my personal POV, is when corporate offices of various restaurants/drive thrus decide where to expand the Corporation offices totally unfamiliar with an area may look at the stats for one city not the combined MSA and inter-connection of three+ cities in the Tri. So certain chains don't expand into the area as quickly as they could.

The one exception would be if someone familiar with the state bought the franchising rights for various cities throughout the state.

I know Tri-Cities is growing at a fast rate, statistics prove that. However, I don't know all three+ cities in the MSA are growing at the same rate. To number crunchers at Corporate Offices that data may be too confusing to know what to do. MSAs would probably be a much better way to assess the population than the individual cities.

Disposable income may have to be at a certain level too, although I'd think the Tri should be fine. My understanding is many retirees are moving to the area. How many have fixed incomes vs. extra sources of income will probably manifest in stats more in a couple of years. The disposable income and target age demographics for certain restaurants may be worth watching, as those statistics may change which franchises are willing to expand to the Tri.

Just a some other theories to consider.

MSR

Old 09-05-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
j.k.k.,

Your post cracked me up laughing I suppose the pending question is will you return? Is your close friendship with the parent worth the return visit knowing what is waiting for you? If your answer is yes can you order side dishes, like a salad, and drinks enough to claim you are too full for Portland Pizza?

MSR
Heh. What I'd probably do is have Portland pizza for an appetizer, which is about what it's suited for. That restaurant is way on the other side of town, so we can probably get away with not becoming regulars. From a perception standpoint, 1 visit > 0 more than 2 visits > 1.

Old 09-05-2016, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Mopac,

While some business plans are changing for restaurants it seems with many their expansion plans always start with the largest cities in any new state for the franchise. Or if they already have limited restaurants in a state, expansion to other areas seem to still depend on cities with the next largest populations (like a second tier of cities).

One observation about the Tri-Cities area, which is strictly my personal POV, is when corporate offices of various restaurants/drive thrus decide where to expand the Corporation offices totally unfamiliar with an area may look at the stats for one city not the combined MSA and inter-connection of three+ cities in the Tri. So certain chains don't expand into the area as quickly as they could.

The one exception would be if someone familiar with the state bought the franchising rights for various cities throughout the state.

I know Tri-Cities is growing at a fast rate, statistics prove that. However, I don't know all three+ cities in the MSA are growing at the same rate. To number crunchers at Corporate Offices that data may be too confusing to know what to do. MSAs would probably be a much better way to assess the population than the individual cities.

Disposable income may have to be at a certain level too, although I'd think the Tri should be fine. My understanding is many retirees are moving to the area. How many have fixed incomes vs. extra sources of income will probably manifest in stats more in a couple of years. The disposable income and target age demographics for certain restaurants may be worth watching, as those statistics may change which franchises are willing to expand to the Tri.

Just a some other theories to consider.

MSR
Good points here. I agree the area continues to grow, continues to attract retirees. Real Estate market still tight. As for corporate restaurants looking at each city individually, could be. But these days all three cities blend together and the populations are essentially touching each other on all sides. I know I have no problem driving from Richland to Kennewick or Pasco or West Richland to visit a restaurant even if it is a 4-5 mile drive. There has been some talk of combining the cities over the years into one city, but I don't think it will get very far, mainly because all three cities have established a certain history and culture. Not sure what they would call it...Columbia? Columbia City? River City? Perhaps a different thread!

Old 09-05-2016, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Good points here. I agree the area continues to grow, continues to attract retirees. Real Estate market still tight. As for corporate restaurants looking at each city individually, could be. But these days all three cities blend together and the populations are essentially touching each other on all sides. I know I have no problem driving from Richland to Kennewick or Pasco or West Richland to visit a restaurant even if it is a 4-5 mile drive. There has been some talk of combining the cities over the years into one city, but I don't think it will get very far, mainly because all three cities have established a certain history and culture. Not sure what they would call it...Columbia? Columbia City? River City? Perhaps a different thread!
pnwguy2,

You highlight my main points without autocorrect (Trust me, it wasn't the worst of the day) I honestly do believe because there are even more than the three cities in the Tri, some outside businesses are confused what residents of each city are willing to do, such as driving some, even though the borders of the three cities meet each other. Be it the mall, restaurants or other businesses the same basic situattion exists. I do understand the cities are as close as they can be and the area functions as one larger area, thus my suggestion of how come MSAs may be better tool to be used. But do those who look at various cities of where they might expand understand how the cities basically overlap? I can think of similar situations elsewhere and those cities couldn't get some of what the residents wanted. It always helps if local developers have good relationships with those businesses.

One question I have is are the different age groups locating in one city more than another? I guess I could look at the stats from 14 months ago. Do you see a greater percentage of certain age groups selecting certain cities, from your own observations? And I am interested to learn the percentage of retirees with and without disposable income are in the area. Retirees can be what would stop a city combination, if they are utilizing public services at a much higher rate than a city with younger residents. There has to be the balance of all age groups to keep thriving.

I suspect you are not alone being willing to drive a few miles for a restaurant or store you want. Yes, please start a new thread about the three cities becoming one. IDK how long ago the idea was discussed but it would be really interesting to see the thoughts of many about being one city. Some may prefer the higher percentage of Hispanics in Pasco as a more welcoming community.; others may not care. I also think when National Labs are a major source of the income base, those cities get burned if National Lab employees have to travel any significant distance to work. They aren't in the 1, 3, & 5 mile radius for lunch or other businesses.

It's an interesting idea. Some may have creative names for a merged city. How about Richkenneco?

BTW, would MSA or CSA serve the residents better?

MSR

Old 09-05-2016, 10:10 PM

I don't think there are CSA stats on the Tri. The metro is MSA.

"Richkenneco"...no. Really, no.

As for newcomers, Richland attracts newcomers who may be needed in Hanford employement, but also retirees. Kennewick attracts some of those as well, and also has been attractive in some areas for Hispanics who are employed in the food processing industry, which is huge in the Tri. But Hispanics are being employed in many other industries, and that is a good thing.

Pasco is certainly a historic Hispanic area, but the west side has been growing by great strides, and is attracting not only hispanics, but others who are looking for an affordable suburban area.

The entire area is on a growth curve, and fortunately, the freeway/highway system is already in place to accomodate this growth. Things are definitely looking up here...

Old 09-05-2016, 10:25 PM

Quote:
It's an interesting idea. Some may have creative names for a merged city. How about Richkenneco?
The name most likely to get traction, I'd guess, would be Three Rivers. It preserves the concept of a triad of something, is geographically accurate, and slights absolutely no part of the region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities