Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,861,256 times

Advertisements

This formerly small metro has been growing for decades, but the past few years have been especially explosive, now very close to 300K. The 2016 figures are at 284K, as of July 2016, and the growth is continuing unabated. The next estimate will put the Tri at over 300K.

Growth continues, especially with residential, in the South Richland area, but also the South Kennewick area around the Steptoe corridor. New homes are planned for this area between Clearwater and Steptoe, and a major apartment complex is set to become the largest in the Tri when completed up near I-82 and Clodfelter. Another area to watch is the Dallas Road exit off I-82, already exploding, but the next big development area up on to the south slope of Badger Mountain.

The growth is perhaps the greatest in Washington, and there is no end in sight.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-16-2017 at 12:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,754,932 times
Wouldn't it be interesting to see what the demographics are of those who are fostering this unabated growth? For instance, is it California hemorrhaging once more, or is it people from other states, and if so are they moving there for retirement purposes? or for Jobs? Or are they natives now affording homes to be built and move into or moving up in their home qualities? I'd sure be curious.

Old 09-17-2017, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcisive View Post
Wouldn't it be interesting to see what the demographics are of those who are fostering this unabated growth? For instance, is it California hemorrhaging once more, or is it people from other states, and if so are they moving there for retirement purposes? or for Jobs? Or are they natives now affording homes to be built and move into or moving up in their home qualities? I'd sure be curious.
You bring up a very good question. I don't have the stats on what you asking, but I have a good hunch.

The growth is coming from several sources. Here is how I see it:

1. Seattle/Portland residents who are tired of the high prices and traffic.
2. Tech employees hired by the scientific and Hanford cleanup sectors.
3. Retirees who want to get out of the rain on the west side (see #1).
4. Rust belt residents who are looking for a better job climate.
5. Growth from within. This is a family community, and at last check folks are still having babies and like the fact that the area is still relatively affordable.

As for California, maybe. Washington has no state income tax, and that is attractive to those from Cali. However, I have seen a lot of Texas plates and met a lot of Texans in the area as well. As mentioned above, this area has a big scientific community and that attracts a lot of folks from other science/tech areas in the US, and in fact a lot of foreigners. In my current job I interact with many from India, China, etc.

Old 09-17-2017, 06:08 PM

RELATED: The new Bob Olsen Parkway is now open for traffic. This is a major new corridor connecting South Kennewick at Southridge all the way over to Steptoe. It was built as a five lane facility, and I drove it today. Very impressive! If you are in the area check it out, my guess is development will soon fill the empty sides of this Parkway.

Old 09-17-2017, 09:47 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
Pretty soon the TC will get a Chili's, a TGI Friday's, and the ultimate: a Nordstrom. The Rapture will begin immediately.

Old 09-17-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
Pretty soon the TC will get a Chili's, a TGI Friday's, and the ultimate: a Nordstrom. The Rapture will begin immediately.
Maybe, but more likely are corporate, medical, dental offices along this corridor. While this is a nice, new transportation corridor, it isn't really near the population. Atleast for now. This could change pretty quickly. The main point is there is now a new route to get from 395 to 240, avoiding most of the congestion in Kennewick on Clearwater. This is a huge transportation change.

Old 09-18-2017, 09:43 AM

72 posts, read 130,259 times
Quote:
This won't answer all the questions, but it will answer some. The most recent data set is 2011 - 2015, so it is slightly dated.

https://flowsmapper.geo.census.gov/map.html

Old 09-18-2017, 09:52 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,452,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Maybe, but more likely are corporate, medical, dental offices along this corridor. While this is a nice, new transportation corridor, it isn't really near the population. Atleast for now. This could change pretty quickly. The main point is there is now a new route to get from 395 to 240, avoiding most of the congestion in Kennewick on Clearwater. This is a huge transportation change.
I think the comedy went past you.

Is that the same Bob Olsen that is or was a Kennewick city councilman? He was once a client of mine. Since he was a nice guy, I don't feel I'm violating confidentiality by saying I enjoyed serving him. Has he become such a Grand Old Man that they name a highway after him? I'd think there'd be one for Sam Volpentest first, even if his successors in real estate have been anything but distinctive.

Old 09-18-2017, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
I think the comedy went past you.

Is that the same Bob Olsen that is or was a Kennewick city councilman? He was once a client of mine. Since he was a nice guy, I don't feel I'm violating confidentiality by saying I enjoyed serving him. Has he become such a Grand Old Man that they name a highway after him? I'd think there'd be one for Sam Volpentest first, even if his successors in real estate have been anything but distinctive.
Yes, named after former Kennewick councilman, Bob Olson. (sorry I got the spelling wrong earlier).

Humor often goes past me. On-line especially can be tough as there is usually little context...but thanks for the reminder not to take every post seriously.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 09-18-2017 at 06:51 PM..

Old 09-29-2017, 01:05 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,574,384 times
Quote:
For instance, is it California hemorrhaging once more, or is it people from other states, and if so are they moving there for retirement purposes? or for Jobs?
Not from the Tri-Cities. But piping in to confirm Californians are absolutely pouring into the greater Portland-metro area, southern Washington/Vancouver, and some up to Seattle. Recently spoke with the owner of a moving company. He says his office gets only one type of call, and his trucks are hauling gear one way: north, out of California and into Oregon and Washington. The building is going gangbusters, as is the traffic, it's beyond terrible most of the day in Portland-metro. So, likely you are seeing some spillover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities