Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 09:43 PM

9 posts, read 8,373 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating to the Tri-Cities from South Florida to work in Umatilla. I have never been here and I don't know anyone here. I'd prefer Richland as a home base but I am open to Kennewick if it's a nice place. Commute to work is a factor so I am thinking Richland south of US-12/182. If you are reading this I would love your thoughts and input.

What is the best area to move into as a young single professional? Any specific apartments you would suggest? Looking for 1 bedroom or studio for around $1000+/- Any areas within walking distance to coffee shops and restaurants? I'm sort of an undercover nerd and into living somewhat healthy, hiking, mountain biking, and going to the gym. I would like to live in a place where I might meet young active people. Do you know any nice modern apartments with amazing views? Any apartments I should avoid? Thanks in advance for your responses.

Last edited by Comtedegabalis; 10-28-2020 at 10:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2020, 10:30 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,733,289 times
I would have to ask why not live in Umatilla or even better neighboring Hermiston? I am a TriCities booster but there are plenty of residential opportunities in Hermiston. Why drive 52 plus miles everyday?

Old 10-29-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
I would have to ask why not live in Umatilla or even better neighboring Hermiston? I am a TriCities booster but there are plenty of residential opportunities in Hermiston. Why drive 52 plus miles everyday?
I appreciate your reply. It seems like everyone suggests to move to the TriCitites. Many people have commented they do the 40-50 mile commute every day and wouldn't have it any other way. Richland has almost 3x the population of Hermiston and Kennewick has over 4x the population of Hermiston. I would like to live in a more populated area. I am single and not married w/kids and would like to live somewhere with a bit more energy. I'm not looking to "party" but it seems like Tricities are the best option for meeting new people. Hermiston seems more small town. Even though it's considered the largest city in Eastern Oregon. I have never been to TriCities nor Eastern Oregon. Unfortunately, I can't travel at the moment and I will have to move somewhere without visiting first. My work will be sort of secluded and I don't want to end up coming home after work to a desolate place. Thoughts?

Old 10-29-2020, 12:26 PM

No, that is a fair and reasonable argument.

Old 10-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Any apartments you recommend towards the south of Richland or Kennewick?

Old 10-29-2020, 06:00 PM

17,106 posts, read 56,712,890 times
You know, I would not set myself up for that commute in the winter. Plus you will pay sales tax when you shop in WA, but will have OR income tax, the worst of both worlds. I would at least take a look at Umatilla and surrounding OR towns, before moving up here. Living in north Richland, you would have to drive through Richland, and you are dependent on the Interestate with no real practical alternative route available that I know of. Even in south Richland or Kennewick, it's a fairly long haul.

Just IMHO.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:40 PM

The winter weather in south-central is usually not an issue but we do get occasional snow days and the I-82 route does cross some higher terrain (Horse Heaven Hills). We usually hear about a few closures every winter. You are probably going to be fine most days.

Old 10-29-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comtedegabalis View Post
Any apartments you recommend towards the south of Richland or Kennewick?
Yes, there are two that are ideal for a Umatilla commute, both just off I-82.

Badger Canyon Apartments in Richland

Copper Mountain Apartments in Kennewick

The links to their websites are apparently not working, not sure if Google is having some issues.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 10-29-2020 at 06:56 PM..

Old 10-29-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You know, I would not set myself up for that commute in the winter. Plus you will pay sales tax when you shop in WA, but will have OR income tax, the worst of both worlds. I would at least take a look at Umatilla and surrounding OR towns, before moving up here. Living in north Richland, you would have to drive through Richland, and you are dependent on the Interestate with no real practical alternative route available that I know of. Even in south Richland or Kennewick, it's a fairly long haul.

Just IMHO.
Thank you for your input! I might just have to suck up the double taxes in order to live closer to an area with a higher population. If I was married with kids I would move into a really nice townhome I found in Hermiston. But I want to have a social life and I think I have better chances of making new friends in the TriCities.

Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
The winter weather in south-central is usually not an issue but we do get occasional snow days and the I-82 route does cross some higher terrain (Horse Heaven Hills). We usually hear about a few closures every winter. You are probably going to be fine most days.
Thanks, I've heard from some people who commute 40-50 mins that I should be fine. I guess I will now have to buy a television to watch the news and stay on top of these things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities