Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2008, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 5,251 times

Advertisements

I moved from The east coast(Northeast Connecticut) 6 months ago.I moved sooner than I expected,lol due to surprising circumstances.I was unable to secure equity in the home I jointly own with my exwife and I was simulataneously disqualified from my 3 year delivery driver position by the corporate powers of FedEx Ground.This was due to a minor policy violation.Both my manager and direct boss were against me being disqualified.
Despite the policy violation,I am still able to work for FedEx Ground,just not as a delivery driver.I've been working at the Portland FedEx hub since February and have recently begun working fulltime for them.I am one of their hardest and fastest and most punctual workers.This is why I was given fulltime.
After living in my truck for 6 weeks I was finally able to secure a room as a roommate.I didn't have the funds needed initially to secure an apt.I am currently still living check to check,but have food and shelter and now can begin setting money aside for my move.
I will be moving to the Tri Cities area as soon as possible.Why there-one, I don't like Portland.It's basically a big city similar to other big cities I've been to-Boston,New York City,Providence etc.Big cities have an inordinate amount of traffic,crime and sketchy people.I'm really moving to the Tri-cities for personal reasons and to establish myself and begin a new life.I hope to have my daughter move there also.She loves horses and has cared for horses,ridden them and competed in many events.

Let me get to the gist of my concerns.I need to have a job and housing.
I'm going to go after seasonal work on the farms harvesting.That will be a transition to more established employment.I need to have housing as soon as I'm there.Wether that's a roommate initially or not.Depending on when I can secure seasonal work,I may have to move there with only a few hundred dollars.That may get me an apartment,likely not.

So where the heck do I find the information needed to contact the various farms that are looking for help.I don't have internet access at home,so have to come to the employment center to go online.My friend has given me a few numbers and listings for farms that were advertising in the local paper there,but I'd like more.If any of you know anyone at the farms,could you please provide me with a number I can call.I'm a wicked hardworker and healthy and strong.I'm not afraid of getting filthy either.

Also,if any of you know someone who is willing to rent a room til I secure an apartment,please let me know.I pay cash weekly.And I have very few possesions-a bed,clothing,a few books,a collection of cd's and records.

I simply want to have my own place,see my friend without traveling 3 hrs,do college radio again(Walla Walla) and be secure so my daughter can move up.I'm a simple man

mod cut: link removed

Oh,I also will be involved in the community in some aspect as a volunteer-maybe reading to the eldery or kids in the hospital.I've been told I have an excellent voice and read out loud very well.

One more question,lol.What christian churches do you recommend.I like Rob Bell,so if there is one along those lines,please direct me to it.
Thank you all for reading this far.

-Jay

Last edited by spiralhoney; 06-18-2008 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: please us DMs or list on your profile any links to personal webpages. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 09:16 PM

150 posts, read 695,835 times
Why don't you check to see if you can transfer with Fedex? It looks like they are hiring for a lot of positions in the Tri-Cities right now. That way you will have a job immediately and will find it easier to get housing.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:30 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
First of all, are you sure TC is for you?

Sure, the housing is cheap, but this area is very narrow in fields of work, basically youre limited to:

1. Construction
2. Technology (e.g. Hanford)
3. Big Box Stores (Staples, Wal-Mart, and Lowes).

Although agriculture is a big, BIG part of the WA economy, last I checked, they went down in this area (I believe there is only around 5000+ jobs in this field, at least in TC). So if you want many, many job opportunities, youre better off in Portland, or going somewhere like Seattle.

Yet you hate big cities.

Yes, owning a house here is very easy to do (Avg $ is 250). Where I live (East End Pasco) it is very cheap, around 100k. The entire area is relatively safe and good for family raising.

As for giving you phone numbers, I cant help you there, but good luck with youre move

Old 07-04-2008, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcres View Post
Why don't you check to see if you can transfer with Fedex? It looks like they are hiring for a lot of positions in the Tri-Cities right now. That way you will have a job immediately and will find it easier to get housing.
'K,I'll be working at the FedEx terminal in Pasco in 4 weeks.I have a friend in Kennewick but will be unable to bunk there.Does anyone know anyone who has a room for rent.It wouldn't be for long-just month to month.And I'd actually only be able to pay cash for rent on a weekly basis.
I intend on having my own place and also will be involved with the college radio station in Walla Walla as much as I am able to and will soon be dj'ing there(I dj'ed for 16 years at UCONN in CT)

Old 07-04-2008, 03:07 PM

216 posts, read 1,006,610 times
The drive from the Tri-Cities to Walla Walla, is abot 30-45 min. so if that's something you do alot, there's a lot of gas burned. Welcome to the Tri-Cities and good luck!

Old 07-04-2008, 10:07 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang34 View Post
The drive from the Tri-Cities to Walla Walla, is abot 30-45 min. so if that's something you do alot, there's a lot of gas burned. Welcome to the Tri-Cities and good luck!
It is further than 30 to 45 minutes from Kennewick...more like an hour drive...unless you are driving well over the posted speed limit...

Old 07-06-2008, 12:07 AM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
^ Mustang is referring to a drive originating in East Pasco
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities