Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 05:26 PM

37 posts, read 320,685 times

Advertisements

hahah yeah wind, without the rain is good!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 12:26 AM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
I like the rain

in this sense Seattle is perfect for me.

Old 07-24-2008, 01:34 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Would someone elaborate on the wind??? how much, how often ect.

The Yakima Valley is one of the prime areas I'm considering as I DO NOT want the doom and gloom of the "wet side" where I grew up.

Thanks

Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 PM

17,214 posts, read 57,064,697 times
The website itself has data on wind speeds in various places but of course the averages don't tell the whole tale. The Tri-City area has several days each year, mostly spring and fall, with winds high enough to have significant blowing dust. This seems to be worse in Tri-Cities, by the time I get around Prosser, the dust is usually less, but they do have a few days of it there as well. Kennewick has always struck me as the dustiest of the 3 "true" Tri-Cities, but West has a pretty bad problem as well. It's usually worse along I-82 than further north.

But I'm originally from Atlanta, and I definitely like the weather here much better.

Sorry for the vagueness of the post, but each year is different, each dust storm is different.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:04 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,364,009 times
Thanks, M3 Mitch, I've looked at the stats but as you say they don't tell the whole story. Some of the posts make it seem that it blows the doors off every day. A few days in the spring in fall isn't bad...I'll trade those for the long hot humid summers, tornados and T-storms

I've been thru and camped out in the Yakima valley but it has been ummm errr quite sometime ago.

The Yakima valley is the area that really meets my needs and wants the most.

Dryer climate of a plains nature with mountains near by.
Also, I like that I can Get to Seattle, Portland or Spokane within several hours.

So anyway it's always good to hear from the "locals" about the real deal.

Old 07-25-2008, 11:41 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,263 times
The wind is horrible

But you cant really escape it in SE WA

Old 07-27-2008, 07:54 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
I generally like the weather here. My family came from Kansas so the wind blowing all the time kind of seems familiar to me.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:17 PM

215 posts, read 877,861 times
Yes, the wind is relentless in the Tri-Cities and results in frequent dust storms. The area is known for being one of the worst for allergies. When we moved here, my allergies went off the charts and the doctor said, "there are two types of people in the Tri-Cities: those with allergies, and those who don't yet know that they have allergies."

Don't let anyone fool you, the wind is almost a constant. Only on the hottest and coldest days of the year does it seem to stop. It gets old and if you don't like wind, you shoudn't move here.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:30 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon Waffle View Post
Yes, the wind is relentless in the Tri-Cities and results in frequent dust storms. The area is known for being one of the worst for allergies. When we moved here, my allergies went off the charts and the doctor said, "there are two types of people in the Tri-Cities: those with allergies, and those who don't yet know that they have allergies."

Don't let anyone fool you, the wind is almost a constant. Only on the hottest and coldest days of the year does it seem to stop. It gets old and if you don't like wind, you shoudn't move here.
Now you are scaring me. When you say wind, do you mean strong breeze or 50 mph type wind?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:47 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,457,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterflyUK View Post
Now you are scaring me. When you say wind, do you mean strong breeze or 50 mph type wind?
The strong breeze is common and normal. 20 mph winds are not a major event here. About three times a year, we'll get winds gusting from 45-70 mph. But since this area's dominant soil is loess (windblown silt), any wind can kick up a dust storm, made worse when there is major construction that hasn't kept wet down or planted quickseed. It sucks when you just washed your car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities