Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2008, 12:24 AM

6,560 posts, read 14,453,208 times

Advertisements

It's easy enough to criticize what is wrong, but also valuable to appreciate what is good about this area. I'd ask that folk start a new thread if they want to discuss things they don't like, because here I'm curious to see if people value the same things I value, or if there are others I haven't really thought of.

Here are the things I like about our area:

--Real seasons. I like all four of them, from blistering summers to frozen winters and what's in between.
--Accessibility. Whatever there is to do here, it's doable. It's not that big a struggle to go to an Ams game, or the Fair, or the home show, or the Scottish Fest, etc., etc. I like not having to struggle to reach the entertainment.
--Volunteerism. Tri-Citians are good about this at all times, and when there's a crisis or a problem they really shine. In a real disaster I would rather take my chances here than about anywhere.
--Affordable, decent homes. Unless your credit is hosed, if you make reasonable money there is no reason you can't own a small home.
--Gorgeous river with wonderful parks all along it, good for walking or cycling or whatever way you like to enjoy it.
--Great water fun in same river. Not something I do, but I appreciate that I could.
--Enough city stuff that you can get most things here. I used to live in a town of 150 that was 25 miles from the nearest shopping, and that's not great fun.
--People stay out of your face and leave you the f alone. I'm very much not the TC norm philosophically, but I like that as long as I do not go around washing everyone's faces in that, no one is likely to bug me.
--Generally friendly and polite people, most times, most places. Kids on skateboard do not just doze through you and expect you to clear the track; they go around. Go kids.
--The sports may be minor league type sports, but at least we have them. If you are a purist of the sport you'll probably enjoy watching it at whatever level.
--Not too long a drive to get to Division I-A college football, whether you're a Dawg or a Coug. (Although this year one could debate whether that's really watching I-A either way.)
--Proximity to Canada. Sure, not as close as Blaine or Tonasket is, but well within a day's driving and you can be in a foreign country experiencing its hospitable people and natural loveliness.
--Proximity to Rockies. Again within a day's driving.
--Proximity to Pacific coast, same thing.
--Not totally WalMartized; there are still plenty of non-big-box places to do business. Washington Hardware, I heart you.
--Easy to be alone. How far are you from being out in the desert by yourself at any given time? Within a day's walk. And no one will care, or will bother you. No one will even know. If you just need to get the heck away and think and get your act together mentally by yourself, you can do that.
--Interesting attractions within a couple of hours: Potholes, Maryhill, Goldendale Observatory, Native museums, Whitman Mission, Palouse Falls and more.
--Good credit unions and banking, like HAPO for car loans and savings, and YakFed for mortgages. Places where they will learn your name, and you might matter.
--Great bounty of regional ag products from fruit to lentils to wines to hops, often of nationally recognized quality.

I could probably think of more. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2008, 01:25 AM

21 posts, read 130,499 times
It's a great list and I think I agree w/ you on most points. The only thing I'd add is -

- close proximity to WA wine country. It's booming and Walla Walla is adorable to visit.

Old 09-20-2008, 02:58 PM

371 posts, read 1,760,887 times
Nice, original thread.

I like the fact that there is no traffic here. And the mall is decent. Business is good too.

Things are looking up locally.

At least no TC starbucks closed!

Old 09-21-2008, 10:31 PM

1,093 posts, read 3,423,170 times
Own a home in Richland, and enjoy the spring seasons, during summer months, we live in our newer home in Spokane, near the river...best of both worlds...Tricities has a nice atmosphere about it and alot of nice ppl we have met as well....I can see why the population is growing in the Tricities, but unfortunately not the best for all...

Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM

215 posts, read 877,590 times
I like how easy it is to get around.
I like the weather with the exception of Dec - Feb.
I really enjoy how safe it is here.
I also appreciate the general friendliness of people in this area.

That's about it.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM

37 posts, read 320,573 times
No traffic is my number one!! My commute used to be 1 1/2 hours..now it is 10-20 minutes!

Housing prices, so much more affordable than Portland/Seattle.

Tri-cities is pretty "walkable", easy to walk, bike, jog to local businesses, etc.

The rivers and outdoor activities

Close to wine country

Drivable distance to Portland, Seattle, etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:47 AM

244 posts, read 1,227,250 times
I LOVE being so close to the river!

I love that we have 4 seasons (even though we didn't have much of a summer this year)

We have a decent mall and plenty of shopping.

We just recently got PF Changs, Famous Daves and Sonic....now all we need is Chili's and we'll be set. Definitely not a lack of eating out!

Home prices are pretty good.

Schools are good.

Crime is low.

I love that we are only a few hours from the mountains for winter sports.

Not too far from Seattle or Spokane.

I am sure I can think of more, but my brain is turning to mush so I must go to bed.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:58 AM

371 posts, read 1,760,887 times
^ We also need a Fridays and Ruby Tuesday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities