Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities
 [Register]
Tri-Cities Kennewick - Pasco - Richland area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 01:49 PM

6,560 posts, read 14,461,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
That is a good point, what's up with the conformist mentality and love of chain restaurants? When Outback opened, you would have to wait for an hour to get seated - why put up with that? Outback is good, but, it's a chain, if you have seen one you have seen them all.
To me, the ultimate example was the regiments of eager diners who waited over an hour to eat at...the Olive Garden. I think if you gave Tri-Citians a choice between a Chilis and 1000 new jobs at Hanford, they'd have to think about it.

To me, by far the most prominent local expression I would consider to have cultural value is the wineries. That is an area where we can, and do, compete favorably at very high levels. When I go visiting out of town, I like to take a bottle of one of the Bookwalter vintages with me--they don't disappoint, and people really appreciate a chance to sample something they might not see locally.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,761,759 times
lol, that is so true

Whats wrong with Olive Garden? Sure its the same ol, same ol, but I think its pretty good (That and I only go there like 4 times a year)

Old 05-19-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
lol, that is so true

Whats wrong with Olive Garden? Sure its the same ol, same ol, but I think its pretty good (That and I only go there like 4 times a year)
It's not that there's something so horribly wrong about it per se; rather, it's that it is a completely prepackaged chain restaurant concept, with plenty of staff but little in the way of authentic Italian feel or charm, often bland and average (at best) and deserving of no special recognition. It is one thing for such a place to have customers. It is quite another for it to have people crowded outside as if Jesus of Nazareth were inside, offering free blessings and foot-washings. Getting excited about an Olive Garden is one step above going nuts because Jack-in-the-Box is coming to town.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:42 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,668,019 times
I say don't single out the Tri-Cities for lack of culture. Most metro areas of similar population offer about the same culture and restaurant scene. If anything, being three hours away from a major city puts Tri-Cities in BETTER position. Smaller town living, relatively inexpensive, and most of the time easy to get to the big city. Think about the poor souls who live in places like Idaho Falls, or Rapid City, or Billings, or Bismark. They have to drive all day to get somewhere with culture.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:45 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,085,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_k_k View Post
It's not that there's something so horribly wrong about it per se; rather, it's that it is a completely prepackaged chain restaurant concept, with plenty of staff but little in the way of authentic Italian feel or charm, often bland and average (at best) and deserving of no special recognition. It is one thing for such a place to have customers. It is quite another for it to have people crowded outside as if Jesus of Nazareth were inside, offering free blessings and foot-washings. Getting excited about an Olive Garden is one step above going nuts because Jack-in-the-Box is coming to town.
You, sir, have explained what I think is wrong with chain restaurants in general in a very succinct fashion.

So why do the local yobs go crazy for a new chain, but won't support locally-owned restaurants as well? Or are we proud that we *don't* understand?

Old 05-19-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You, sir, have explained what I think is wrong with chain restaurants in general in a very succinct fashion.
My restaurant world took two armor-piercing hits in recent years. One, India Palace (a favorite of mine) moved from the middle of town to over near the mall, putting nearly the full diagonal of Kennewick between it and I. Two, Henry's in Kennewick closed up, so now we'd have to go to Richland (and recently even that moved to West Richland, and I don't like the new space much). I think we have to do everything in our power to support the good local businesses (Washington Hardware, for example) or we have only ourselves to blame when they go t.u.

At the same time, there are also plenty of local businesses that seem more like habits than businesses, getting along simply because 'that's where we're used to going' rather than because they merit support. It just drives me nuts to see the 'habit' places hang around when someone new comes in, tries really hard, invests their money, and their business eats flaming death in six months because it often takes years for many people here to break out of patterns and try something interesting and new.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:29 PM

150 posts, read 696,020 times
Quote:
...for many people here to break out of patterns and try something interesting and new.
That's the exact reason I usually eat lunch solo. I love trying new places.

Old 05-20-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Actually, Im one of those people. We dont have a Carls Jr. in Pasco! :shakefist:

DSL is making living much much easier in this "yogurt basin."

But seriously, this thread is pointless. Either you like it here or you dont. No one is making you stay. Dont make this into a Seattle board thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameHog9 View Post
But seriously, this thread is pointless. Either you like it here or you dont. No one is making you stay. Dont make this into a Seattle board thread
A Seattle board thread? What's meant by that?

Old 05-21-2009, 03:55 PM

"Oh the rain! Boo-hoo! Now I must waste 5 minutes of your life ranting about how much I hate it here which I could instead spend looking for an apartment in Myrtle Beach! Boo-hoo!"

That board is PLAGUED with these topics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Tri-Cities